Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decompiling of models

Question Decompiling of models

I am trying to get hero and item files I can load into my 3D editor. I tried to follow guides I found in the net, but none of the programs work.

I successfully extracted the game files using GCFScape.

However, the guides say I have to "decompile" the model (whatever that means...) to get files 3D editors can handle.

I tried Cannonfodder's Studiocompiler (previously MDL Decompiler) but it crashes every time I try to decompile. Other people seemed to have teh same issue. Someone suggested they found a fixed version of Cannonfodder's MD Decompiler, but it also crashes on trying to extract.

I copied the *.dx90.ctx file and renamed it to *.dx80.vtx as the guides said.

So, any idea how will it actually work?

I'm using Win 7 64bit if that helps.

P.s.: If it works for someone, all I ask of you to please decompile all three model files in heroes/keeper-_of_the_light and send/upload them somewhere. Thanks!
    Last edited by Storm; 08-05-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Basic Member
    Don't try and use a custom output directory, leave it as is and go fetch the files later, or copy and paste in a location. Whenever I try to customize the output path it crashes, works fine if I just let it go and move the files after.

In theory you can manually paste the output and it should work, but it doesn't.

I also tried already leaving it on default, but it crashes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    However, the guides say I have to "decompile" the model (whatever that means...) to get files 3D editors can handle.

I tried Cannonfodder's Studiocompiler (previously MDL Decompiler) but it crashes every time I try to decompile. Other people seemed to have teh same issue. Someone suggested they found a fixed version of Cannonfodder's MD Decompiler, but it also crashes on trying to extract.
    I'm having the exact same problem. It would be rad if someone here could help us.

Basic Member
    Uploaded a screenshot of my settings / version, maybe that will help, like I said earlier, don't select a output directory and make sure the file is dx80 (otherwise u get vertices error).

I blanked out one of the configurations because its a old deleted folder, so it seems irrelevant.

skcompare2.jpg

It worked for me now. I forgot renaming dc90.vtx to dx80.vtx.

and apparently you don't have to configure the game directoryat all - worked foine for me without doing so. I also didn't change the output path.

Quote Originally Posted by Mig_ View Post
    Uploaded a screenshot of my settingsskcompare2.jpg
    AHHHH!!!! I found my error! I didn't notice the Game directory field on the top, so I didn't have that set. I pasted the directory path manually (As using the browsing crashes the tool) and now it works! Funny it works for Automedic without it! LOL.

HOWEVER, there are still no ANY files Blender can open.

If I decompile Keeper of the Light's hero model, I get 32 .smd files and a .qc file.
    If I decompile his staff's model (separate file), I get stafffx_model.dmx.smd, Run.smd and Bindpose.smd

But Blender doesn't recognize .smd or .qc files, and the guides I have seen stop at decompiling, like everything was done. Like this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...04&postcount=8

Out of curiosity I tried it with a cosmetic item, and I also got 3 .smd files and a .qc file.

So I still don't know how to get anything in Blender. Thanks for the help tho.

Basic Member
    in order to open smd files, you need the smd tools add-on. Works only in the las version of blender.
    What a man can get from a extinct civilisation : Atlantis' Trident Lost Treasure

Quote Originally Posted by justiceiro View Post
    in order to open smd files, you need the smd tools add-on. Works only in the las version of blender.
    yep. got that too, works perfectly fine.

Thank you very much! Works fine!