Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Workshop instructions are only intelligible for porfessionals

Basic Member
    dictionary.com

for those pro terms.

well take time reading those instructions and as you can see here :
    http://www.dota2.com/news/community/8526/

it give u some.. oh shit in game. hold on
    Last edited by MikeyBooT12; 08-07-2012 at 09:55 PM.

I can't respect someone who says he is a pro based on second life experience...Just... Can't...
    I never fucking said I am pro... I said I used to be professional in SL, not on 3D modeling neither game development. Try to understand what you read. If I were pro I wouldn't ask questions here. Got it?

In SL I AM pro, yes, and I made some things only a very very few if anybody else can. Some of my works are still unique and unchallanged. But Sl is a totally different thing. But if you don't underatand it, check this: http://houyhnhnm.net/art-creation/second-life/

You just said previously that you know how to UV and can make professional models and textures... you also admitted that that was all it took. What's the problem?
    The problem is, that I can make the model and texture it, but I have no frickin idea what to do with them afterwards. O can save them in .obj and .png but then what? They won't magically work with the game, and if I do not submit it in the proper way, they will reject it.

Also I am missing lot of other infos, such as what is the total triangle budget I can have for an item set. The Valve page says a hero with all its items should be 6-7000 tri in the high lod version. Well... the Ezalor model I extracted from game files is 10k tri already... so now what? I guess there is a different limit for him being a bigger, more detailed model (having a horse) but I don't know it. So it seems I will have to ask a Dev directly. And honestly, I really don't want to disturb the Devs unless really necessary as they have pretty much work without me already.

Please also note, that I am NOT making items for heroes who already have a shitload of them, but want to make items for heroes that don't have yet. And those heroes doesn't have a downloadable asset pack or a detailed instructions page.
    Last edited by Storm; 08-08-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

FINALLY!!! An actual tutorial... reading it now.
    http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/

Basic Member
    Before you submit an item, there is a link to a help page. It basically tells you what you need for an item, even the file structure. For those heroes whose parts aren't separated yet, I guess they aren't ready for submissions yet, but you can always extract the model files and work on them first.

Basic Member
    I've put together a tutorial on how to get your model from Maya to Dota 2's new FBX process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    The problem is, that I can make the model and texture it, but I have no frickin idea what to do with them afterwards. O can save them in .obj and .png but then what? They won't magically work with the game, and if I do not submit it in the proper way, they will reject it.

Also I am missing lot of other infos, such as what is the total triangle budget I can have for an item set. The Valve page says a hero with all its items should be 6-7000 tri in the high lod version. Well... the Ezalor model I extracted from game files is 10k tri already... so now what? I guess there is a different limit for him being a bigger, more detailed model (having a horse) but I don't know it. So it seems I will have to ask a Dev directly. And honestly, I really don't want to disturb the Devs unless really necessary as they have pretty much work without me already.

Please also note, that I am NOT making items for heroes who already have a shitload of them, but want to make items for heroes that don't have yet. And those heroes doesn't have a downloadable asset pack or a detailed instructions page.
    When you go into the submission process in the game, pick what hero it's for and what type of item it is. It will then tell you what the exact polycount restriction for that heroes item is. For example, Ogre Magi's weapon is restricted to 350 triangles (not quads).

And yes, of course you have to do weight painting on clothing items. What would make you think otherwise? You're making new geometry for the character, so it needs different weight painting than the original item.

UV mapping isn't not that simple actually. There is a lot to learn about doing it properly and efficiently. Doing some sort of automatic UV unwrap is not proper, unless using an Unfold method where you define Cut lines and pin UV points.

File structure mainly just refers to the naming, or more specifically, the structure of the filenames. If you look at the texture names for a hero, lets say the belt, you'll see it's named like: belt_color.tga, belt_mask1.tga, belt_mask2.tga, belt_normal.tga. They want you to retain that affix structure: whatever_color, whatever_mask1, whatever_normal. So if I was making a belt for say Sven, and I named it "The Belt of Death", I might make the texture filenames something like: sven_death_belt_color.tga, sven_death_belt_mask1.tga.. etc.. Making sure that they retain the belt_color, belt_mask, belt_normal, etc.. affix.

Another reason for this, is that you only choose the first texture when you import the model through the game. It then uses that file structure to find the other needed textures and automatically imports them for you.
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

Valve Developer
    for now please ignore file structure requirements, those were written before the submission tool existed. We will update the web page soon

Thank you very much EVERYONE for the replies and insights!

As I mentioned earlier, I'm bit autistic so everything needs to be clearly and precisely defines for me. I can understand super-complex systems, think in 3D, model something in my mind, and stuff like that, but unclear instructions confuse me. And believe or not, there are much more people like me than you would expect. And to them come people who have some mental disability, but have excellent abilities in other areas, just need things explained very carefully.
    So it is useful for many (and to the whole community in the form of helping these people make great items) to have everything explained and documented, even if you would think this or that is straightforward and self-explanatory.

So once again thanks everyone for the constructive input. I also contacted Wyk, who wrote the guide I linked above and asked him many questions. He was nice and helpful and answered as best as he could which again cleared up a few things.

So right now, I put my Ezalor items away for a moment, quickly make some simple item for one of the already supported heroes to finally have the full process tried and cleared out in my mind. Then I get back to Ezalor. I guess it will take some time so the requirements page will be updated while I work. Finally I will try to make a clear and precise guide, summarizing all the other guides and then add what I learned, and pay some attention to everything I feel needs to be explained. After I successfully have a few items submitted to the workshop I will be able to put this together, and hopefully help others by doing so.