Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Workshop instructions are only intelligible for porfessionals

Exclamation Workshop instructions are only intelligible for porfessionals

Greetings.

I have a limited 3D knowledge and experience. I used to be a professional content creator in the 3D virtual reality of Second Life, using their own tools mainly, and creating basic "sculpted" models in 3rd party program. So I'm not a total beginner. However, I never did modeling for games, know barely anything about materials and my abilites about any kind of maps consist of baking a basic shadow map without touching the UV map.

I'm pretty sure I could learn the rest if there were any materials available.

But the stuff Valve put up is intelligible only for professionals. It speaks in vague pro terms, and seems to assume I am an all-round professional who knows everything already.

I tried to find guides on the net, but I found only a very few and those are obscure as well.

Examples:
    1. In order to help keep things organized, please maintain our file structure:
      What does this mean? File structure? WHERE? Inside the archive I upload into the workshop, or what? I just don't get it because it is not specified anywhere.
    2. How can I acquire files I can load into my rd software to work on or use as measurement? All attempts to decompile files failed for me (see: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=50228 )
    3. What is the actual process of preparing an item for uploading? The guides only speak on obscure and lacking fragments of information.
    4. Do I have to attach a skeleton to simple items like staffs and swords worn in hand?
    5. Do I have to wight paint anthing that moves with the hero (i.e. clothes, armor etc.)?
    6. There are a ton more questions I just can't recall right now...

So in general, there is seriously need for a complete guide that works even for intermediate people and ones like me who lack some parts of the needed knowledge. Because the way the guides put things is so obscure to me, I don't even have an idea about WHAT I NEED TO LEARN! And honestly... I don't feel like starting to learn the whole of industrial 3d Modeling when I only want to make some simple Dota items...

Please, any help is appreciated!

P.s: Before you call me an idiot because you think this or that is self-explanatory - I am slightly autistic. NOTHING is self-explanatory for me, unless every detail is clearly specified.
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I don't feel like starting to learn the whole of industrial 3d Modeling when I only want to make some simple Dota items...
    It doesnt matter, you have to do what the actual game developer would do, means you have to learn quite a lot of stuff - digital sculpting, modelling, texturing, rigging and compiling.
    And if you can't pass file structure... Dude, seriously?

I don't feel like starting to learn the whole of industrial 3d Modeling when I only want to make some simple Dota items...
    Well... if you want to have a professional item into a professional game you gotta use what a professional modeller would use...

I can make a professional mesh model, and I can make a professional texture. Item = model with texture applied on it. And learning how to unwrap the UV is 5 minutes... so it rally shouldn't be that complicate. I am not developing a full game, I am not animating anything.

And if you can't pass file structure... Dude, seriously?
    "Dude, seriously" WHERE THE HELL I need a file structure??? I thought I am supposed to upload a model file and a texture file, not the complete damn game. Also, Valve are supposed to make it into an actual game prop, and not me. So I still don't get it.
    So if you can answer my question, do it, if not, don't write.

I can make a professional mesh model, and I can make a professional texture. Item = model with texture applied on it. And learning how to unwrap the UV is 5 minutes... so it rally shouldn't be that complicate. I am not developing a full game, I am not animating anything.

"Dude, seriously" WHERE THE HELL I need a file structure??? I thought I am supposed to upload a model file and a texture file, not the complete damn game. Also, Valve are supposed to make it into an actual game prop, and not me. So I still don't get it.
    So if you can answer my question, do it, if not, don't write.
    They are telling you to organize your stuff into folders and having models/texture files with the same name.

You know, they probably unzip everything they can gather together and then test the models one by one. If you make a model called lolololo.mdl and a texture called huehuehue.tga, how are they going to relate one to another? That's why they ask you to follow a certain folder structure where everything will be in the correct place so they don't have to try to discover which model is for which texture.

Thanks Swordz, that's what I was asking.
    AS I said, I did some basic modeling before, but I have no idea about game development.

So... any tutorials or guides?

Someone said I should check the TF2 guides but others say no, Dota2 items work differently... but then what?! I'm confused.

Thanks Swordz, that's what I was asking.
    AS I said, I did some basic modeling before, but I have no idea about game development.

So... any tutorials or guides?

Someone said I should check the TF2 guides but others say no, Dota2 items work differently... but then what?! I'm confused.
    I use the same process that is used to make tf2 items. the difference now is that you don't have to compile the model/textures because now the game do it for you, but it looks like it's a bit glitched as in items don't work correctly.

If you have any useful links to share, I would appreciate. I am actually trying to make up my own tutorial for Dota 2 items based on the process and what I am learning. When - if ever - I get to the point of having an item successfully submitted to the Workshop, I will know everything to make a full tutorial.

Basic Member
    If you have any useful links to share, I would appreciate. I am actually trying to make up my own tutorial for Dota 2 items based on the process and what I am learning. When - if ever - I get to the point of having an item successfully submitted to the Workshop, I will know everything to make a full tutorial.
    You just said previously that you know how to UV and can make professional models and textures... you also admitted that that was all it took. What's the problem?

Basic Member
    I can't respect someone who says he is a pro based on second life experience...Just... Can't...