Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Report System is insufficient. Treats serious offences like Death Threats lightly

Basic Member
    that feature has already been suggested and the devs are aware of it.
    if that is really the only solution, you guys can up with, then we might just as well close this thread.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

You could also run a check on a user:

everytime he gets reported for abuse, verify how many times (in the last game / last day / last week) he has used "abusive keywords" (no examples needed) and set a benchmark. If said player does indeed prove after this test to be an absolute douchebag, prevent his matchmaking for a (defined period), or place him in a "douchebag only" queue.

I'm sure said queue would have more than enough players in a week's time to keep them entertained among themselves and the rest of us glad to have them gone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Direclaw View Post
    I dont realy think death threats are a big deal on the internet,

1 they dont know you
    2 they cant find you
    3 he is probably going to forget this in 10 minutes
    4 if he is realy a serial killer his reasons for murder makes me laught a lot
    5 If a 3 years old say that he is going to kill you are you going to give a fuck?
    6 Just trow them on the LPL and forget about it
    Well, stuff like this happened already :P
    Someone got angry at Call of Duty, knew the address of the other player, went to his house and attacked him.
    Thanks to Social Engineering, it's not hard anymore to find out addresses from other players anyway...
    Imo they should just hand out the personal data from that player so that we can decide to do a lawsuit if we want. Like they do on Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

The best thing about Valve games is the amount of personal freedom we get to exercise in game. There are no limitations on what can be said, no Big Brother reviewing our chatlogs and compiling information about our behaviorisms. TF2 servers are only limited by their nationality and server administrators, and DOTA games go by so fast that you don't have time to care about abusive players beyond the report button.

I'm glad Valve doesn't treat its user base like its Club Penguin. I'm glad Valve doesn't see people like OP and consider them their majority audience. I'm glad that we can play and have fun without worry of bans based on semantics and political correctness, even if that means the occasional jackass.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Well, stuff like this happened already :P
    Someone got angry at Call of Duty, knew the address of the other player, went to his house and attacked him.
    Thanks to Social Engineering, it's not hard anymore to find out addresses from other players anyway...
    Imo they should just hand out the personal data from that player so that we can decide to do a lawsuit if we want. Like they do on Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
    COD or Counter strike?

Either way, they are not likely to attack you. Especially if you just look the other way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    The best thing about Valve games is the amount of personal freedom we get to exercise in game. There are no limitations on what can be said, no Big Brother reviewing our chatlogs and compiling information about our behaviorisms
    That's not personal freedom. Insulting others is illegal by law, so Valve is compelled to react upon complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    That's not personal freedom. Insulting others is illegal by law, so Valve is compelled to react upon complaints.
    You are the worst kind of person. Too immature to ignore jerks, so you make legal threats. This is exactly why we cannot have nice things.

This is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

The community supports this type of behavior and doesn't take the victims seriously.
    I understand you are upset about what happened, but you aren't excused from using logic. Certainly the poster did not support or accept the behavior, and his response was serious. There's no terribly nice way to emphasize the point, but I agree with what he said - these sort of threats are not serious. You may run into incredibly crude individuals on the internet that make you very angry... there's not much that can be done aside from muting and reporting in the first place. I also haven't experienced a single instance of a threat in nearly 1000 games - my experience only, but it doesn't seem to be exactly common. I'll grant you that it's probably much worse for female gamers.

What sort of response do you think valve should have for this? Banning the account? Sending an email asking the user to shape up? Forwarding the information to the FBI? I think a case could be made for steeper punishments for some violations. I'm not sure that threats really warrant harsher punishment than, say, racism, or even intentional feeding. It depends on the case, and valve does not have the resources to investigate on a case-by-case basis.

Basic Member
    I don't know what exactly can be done about it because I don't have in in depth understanding of the way that the reporting function works and what tools Valve has available to them.

I think that possibly having different tiers of flagging could work efficiently. I don't know if this would be shown or hidden but in theory someone using text chat to call someone a big smelly willy is not nearly as severe as telling them that they are going to find out where you live and murder you. So it would make sense that it could take as many as 30 reports of "big smelly willy calling" and only 5-10 reports of death threats to have action taken.

Also I know that most threats will not come to fruition but that doesn't mean that they should be taken any less seriously. It's a poor analogy but the it is the only one I could think of; someone calling a public building with a bomb threat, even if they think it is a crank call they will still call the authorities and do whatever is in their power to make sure that everything is safe.

Steam doesn't require but can be used to show a lot of personal information, including your state/providence or residence, your youtube/facebook account and etc. At the very least I think that if you report someone for something and ignore them it should truly ignore them, not just blocking their in game text but preventing you from interacting with the person in the future. (possibly not just in DOTA2 but on STEAM as well)

Like I said I do not know realistically what could work or what would work otherwise I would have offered it in my OP. I simply know that something different could work, and something could be done.
    Last edited by HercSpeed; 08-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.

If you think anonymity is an excuse to threat people for fun you are either a kid or your moral values are very very low.

These shouldn't be taken lightly and, even if "harmless", a company like valve never will. Neither will any that take themselves seriously.