Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 85

Thread: Report System is insufficient. Treats serious offences like Death Threats lightly

  1. #21
    Basic Member Catma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    793
    Insulting others is illegal by law, so Valve is compelled to react upon complaints.
    This is just plain false.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Catma View Post
    This is just plain false.
    No. You obviously should do something against your lack of knowledge.

    See also Wikipedia:
    "Many states and local municipalities enforce prohibitions against rude, offensive or insulting speech, leaving citizens, law enforcement officers and courts to decide what is and what is not an insult. The concept of fighting words as a form of prohibited speech has developed in the jurisprudence of U.S. constitutional law concerning terms of disparagement."
    Last edited by Typhox; 08-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.

  3. #23
    Basic Member Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    No. You obviously should do something against your lack of knowledge.
    This is an insanely crude and impertinent statement.

  4. #24
    Basic Member Irrelevante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    The best thing about Valve games is the amount of personal freedom we get to exercise in game. There are no limitations on what can be said, no Big Brother reviewing our chatlogs and compiling information about our behaviorisms. TF2 servers are only limited by their nationality and server administrators, and DOTA games go by so fast that you don't have time to care about abusive players beyond the report button.

    I'm glad Valve doesn't treat its user base like its Club Penguin. I'm glad Valve doesn't see people like OP and consider them their majority audience. I'm glad that we can play and have fun without worry of bans based on semantics and political correctness, even if that means the occasional jackass.
    That's... actually quite agreeable, to a degree. Still, your freedoms end where mine begin and I do think every player should have the chance to play games -not entirely carebear style- but at least with an agreeable level of banter/flames.

    As for the topic, and what you commented on it, I do believe it's best to have actual people reviewing reports -a la 1984- to measure validity and severity. There's a clear difference between "uninstall and die" and more localized threats like "I checked your profile, found out you live at x, expect me" or something along those lines and the punishment should be in parity with the severity of the abuse.

  5. #25
    Basic Member Catma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    793
    I think that possibly having different tiers of flagging could work efficiently. I don't know if this would be shown or hidden but in theory someone using text chat to call someone a big smelly willy is not nearly as severe as telling them that they are going to find out where you live and murder you. So it would make sense that it could take as many as 30 reports of "big smelly willy calling" and only 5-10 reports of death threats.
    This sounds plausible, except that I'm pretty sure that the report system is entirely automated. I could get the people on my team to report a teammate who plays badly as having made a death threat.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    This is an insanely crude and impertinent statement.
    Calling something false that isn't is impertinent.
    I don't hesistate from calling a liar a liar.

    Insulting IS punishable by law. I don't care about your opinion about it. It's a simple fact and everyone saying that it isn't, is a liar. So I was assuming that Catma was lying unintentionally because he lacked that knowledge.

  7. #27
    Basic Member Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    That's... actually quite agreeable, to a degree. Still, your freedoms end where mine begin and I do think every player should have the chance to play games -not entirely carebear style- but at least with an agreeable level of banter/flames.

    As for the topic, and what you commented on it, I do believe it's best to have actual people reviewing reports -a la 1984- to measure validity and severity. There's a clear difference between "uninstall and die" and more localized threats like "I checked your profile, found out you live at x, expect me" or something along those lines and the punishment should be in parity with the severity of the abuse.
    I can meet you half way here.

    OP is not saying, "my freedoms end where yours begin", he's saying, "your freedoms end where my emotions begin", which is quite different.

    He is fully able to ignore these players but chooses not to. If pressed, I'd place a bet that he actually continued banter with these "disagreeable" individuals, throwing fuel on a fire. A troll will not sit there screaming, "noob team I will kill you all in your sleep". That's not how people function. Chances are, this guy and his female friend tried to argue with and insult back with this person. When they reported him end-game and didn't receive a "We've recently punished someone ..." message the next day, they made this thread screaming bloody murder.


    As for your Ministry of Love suggestion, maybe. I think it'd be OK if they actually did review specific reports following some flags. If they can find hits on words like "rape", "kill", "find you", etc in a chat log, maybe then an employee can review the events to see if this person is actually a deranged psychopath that goes up and beyond ruining the game for casual players.

    But I would still much rather have a deranged lunatic in every game, than an all knowing all seeing carebear overlord policing DotA2.

  8. #28
    Basic Member Catma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    793
    I'm not going to get into the whole legal discussion as to why you're wrong Typhox, as it would be a waste of time. Let's just ignore that whole thing and focus on the second half of your sentence.
    Valve is compelled to react upon complaints.
    Absolutely not. Valve takes voluntary measures to take care of the community, but there's definitely no legal compulsion for a communication service to police its airwaves. That would be like expecting Verizon to take responsibility for bomb threats made from their payphones.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Catma View Post
    Absolutely not. Valve takes voluntary measures to take care of the community, but there's definitely no legal compulsion for a communication service to police its airwaves. That would be like expecting Verizon to take responsibility for bomb threats made from their payphones.
    Or making MEGAUPLOAD or Kino.to responsible for user-uploaded data. Hm?

  10. #30
    Basic Member Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Or making MEGAUPLOAD or Kino.to responsible for user-uploaded data. Hm?
    Luckily, death threats aren't copyrighted material.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •