Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Submit an item not cooperating

OBJ files can't contain bones. So if you're importing that, there's your problem already. Only the FBX and SMD files have bones.

@Storm: You can make a new bone. But it needs to be named the same as the one the original model has, and it needs to have the same rotation value... And some weapons, like Sven's sword have multiple bones for secondary animation. Soooo... you need to find a way to import the SMD into Blender, I believe there is a plugin. But I just use Maya, it is A LOT easier, since the model packs come with a Maya scene file, and exporting as FBX works flawlessly.
    Last edited by Kakkoii; 08-09-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

Basic Member
    I found this. Works so far for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakkoii View Post
    OBJ files can't contain bones. So if you're importing that, there's your problem already. Only the FBX and SMD files have bones.

@Storm: You can make a new bone. But it needs to be named the same as the one the original model has, and it needs to have the same rotation value... And some weapons, like Sven's sword have multiple bones for secondary animation. Soooo... you need to find a way to import the SMD into Blender, I believe there is a plugin. But I just use Maya, it is A LOT easier, since the model packs come with a Maya scene file, and exporting as FBX works flawlessly.
    In Blender, I have the option of setting a bone head, a bone tail, and a roll angle. I just copy those over to a custom bone?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakkoii View Post

Yeah I'm going to fold and go with Maya as well. Too bad Maya's modeling tools suck so much. I'll still model in XSI, cant give that up

Quote Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
    I found this. Works so far for me.

In Blender, I have the option of setting a bone head, a bone tail, and a roll angle. I just copy those over to a custom bone?
    What do you mean setting? You mean options for creating those different types of bones? In which case I would say a Bone head, if the model you're making it for only has a single bone skinned for the weapon. But again, you need to checkout the skeleton of the character you're making it for, and find out the naming for its weapon bones.

Basic Member
    I mean the "sword_1" bone has options for a tail, a head, and a roll. Here, on the right:

So I suppose the easiest way is to have the full model with armature loaded, put the item on him or in his hand, attach it to the respective bones, and then delete the rest of the armature and model. Should work if I understand it right.

My only problem right now is that I watched a few video tutorials on rigging in Blender, and that cloud of balls I see don't look like anything I saw in teh tutorials. I have to fiddle around, I think I miss some settings in Blender.
    Last edited by Storm; 08-09-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Spelling, doh!
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Quote Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
    I mean the "sword_1" bone has options for a tail, a head, and a roll. Here, on the right:

Erm, I'm not sure why Blender does that to the bones, that's really odd. But I looked at the Kunka model in Maya, it is only one bone, so just ignore the head/tail thing on the right. Just do a rigid bind/skin to that bone. Then select the weapon and the bone, and export as FBX.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    So I suppose the easiest way is to have the full model with armature loaded, put the item on him or in his hand, attach it to the respective bones, and then delete the rest of the armature and model. Should work if I understand it right.

You don't need to delete the rest of the amature or model, merely have only the, for example weapon and weapon bone selected, and then Export FBX, with "Export Selected" checked in the bottom left of Blender when you go to export.

Bones in Blender are supposed to look like this:

Or this:

But definitely NOT like that screenshot. I see them that way too but I don't know why.

You don't need to delete the rest of the amature or model, merely have only the, for example weapon and weapon bone selected, and then Export FBX, with "Export Selected" checked in the bottom left of Blender when you go to export.
    Ah cool!!! Then I can have all the parts of the set attacked to the same armature and just export them one by one.

Basic Member
    So just to clarify, I not only need the model attached to a bone with the same name as the weapon bone on the kunkka model, that bone needs to be in the same spot it's in the kunkka SMD?