Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Submit an item not cooperating

Quote Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
    So just to clarify, I not only need the model attached to a bone with the same name as the weapon bone on the kunkka model, that bone needs to be in the same spot it's in the kunkka SMD?
    It needs to have the same rotation values, position doesn't seem to matter really. But basically, just make your model. When you're done, position it over the bone how you like, matching it up with the original weapon's handle, and then skin it to that bone that's already there. Once you've done that, just select the bone and the new weapon and export it. Reduce any possible issues that way.

edit: Also, here's how my bones look when I import into Blender:
    Last edited by Kakkoii; 08-10-2012 at 02:25 AM.
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

Basic Member
    Ugh, this isn't working. I can't seem to do more than assign the entire bone structure as my mesh's parent (won't let me select a specific bone AND a mesh at the same time).

...I'm just inclined to go hunt down a Maya trial or educational copy I had a while back. *sigh*

Edit: Looks the same for me here, but I think I'm too much of a blender noob to get what I'm supposed to be doing. =/
    Last edited by RCIX; 08-10-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Why don't you delete every bone except the one you want to add?

Basic Member
    There's actually 2 bones that could work so far as I can tell. One at the sword handle, and then one at the (origin one being named "sword", and at the handle one being named "sword_1"). Plus, that still doesn't tell me how to connect a mesh to a specific bone.

Bonus points if you can tell me what sort of wacky bone system is being imported, because it sure ain't the default one (if you do Space > Add Armature, you get the proper "octahedron" style bone).

Basic Member
    Ugh....

I followed this, which someone was kind enough to provide:

Quote Originally Posted by Nemozini View Post
    • Import the SMD (Y axis UP) of the thing you want to replace.
    • File-> Append your model from your blender file to this workspace.
    • Place your model over the original model while in edit mode. keep the origin at 0,0,0
    • Select your model , then the original model , press CTRL J ... I think to combine two meshes together.
    • Select any vertex of the original model , press CTRL L to select rest of vertices on the original model, and delete vertices, repeat until all of the original model is gone!

Now start assigning group of vertices on your model to Valve's Vertex groups by using C select circle. Make sure "select through" is on... toggle the "The limit selection to visible" button. Then press Assign when you selected the vertices you want to be weighted to that bone
    You can turn on bone names in the armature to make things easier to see.

You can also use Weight paint mode too instead of this! Easier for variable weights.
    If you miss any vertices , they will lock themselves to one place as above in the second screenshot. so you got to go back and weight it.
    (exporting to FBX after) and it still doesn't work. I'm not totally sure that my UV unwrap carried through to blender and thus my import; would that cause an invisible model?

Merge meshes and then manually delete vertices of the other???

This sounds like a very bad, unnecessary and screwed up way of doing something that normally would be simple.
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Merge meshes and then manually delete vertices of the other???

This sounds like a very bad, unnecessary and screwed up way of doing something that normally would be simple.
    Might as well share your "simple" way for the benefit of others instead of your "very bad, unnecessary and screwed up" reply.

@RCIX , export to SMD using Blender SMD tools and see if it is any better.
    http://code.google.com/p/blender-smd/downloads/list

First step. Get the original sword imported as SMD into blender with the bones. You did that right?

Basic Member
    Yeah, I can import. I'll try SMD export and see what happens.

Basic Member
    Well, uh, I'm closer...

(lower left corner)

screenshot of your item in blender?