Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Submit an item not cooperating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Submit an item not cooperating

Alright, I've been messing around with this for a while and I can't make sense of it. Here's what I have:
    * A .OBJ file which is my model, UV unwrapped (...at least I'm pretty sure it's UV unwrapped, I have questions about that but they don't belong here)
    * Temporary textures just to test that I can import a model

And here's what I'm trying.
    * I'm trying to "submit" (obviously not going to actually submit until I have real textures) a custom Kunkka Weapon, so I select those and input "weapon_rogueblade" in the weapon name box
    * I convert my OBJ model to FBX via the Autodesk FBX Converter on this page
    * I then make sure the FBX file is named weapon_rogueblade_lod1
    * I select the texture

And all I get is this:

Starting compile of weapon_rogueblade...
    CTargetMDL::Compile - GetOutputPath failed
    WARNING: CTargetZIP::Compile - Target 0 Compile Failed

I've seen mentions of needing to keep to a specific directory structure, namely this one:
    Model source content resides in \content\dota\models\items\heroname\itemname\maya\
    Compiled model binaries belong in \game\dota\models\items\heroname\itemname\
    Material source content resides in \content\dota\materialsrc\models\items\heroname\it emname\
    Compiled material binaries and .vmt belong in \content\dota\materialsrc\models\items\heroname\it emname\ and should be named the same as the model
    However, which do I use? The Model/Material source content ones? Or is it some other problem? My FBX converter mentioned something about not being able to load or convert the default material in my model file.

(side bonus question: which version of FBX should I be converting to?)

Many thanks if someone can help solve my problem!

Convert it to .smd, fbx seems to be glitched at the moment. You don't need to follow the directory structure, that was for the old uploader. it does automatically now. (you still gotta follow it if you upload an item for a hero that is not available at the uploader)

Basic Member
    Okay so not sure if the original problem is solved, but I have a new error now:

Starting compile of weapon_rogueblade...
    ERROR: Specified file is not a TGA (Targa) or PSD File: "tga"
    CTargetVTF::Compile - GetOutputPath failed
    WARNING: CTargetVMT::Compile - Target 0 Compile Failed
    WARNING: CTargetZIP::Compile - Target 0 Compile Failed
    And yes, I'm absolutely sure the material listed in the .obj is the proper .tga file, as well as the one I selected. It also opens fine in Photoshop.

Try creating the .tga file via VTFEdit. Or you saved the .tga with wrong settings (i think they need to be 32 bit)

Basic Member
    Aaaaand now begins the actual problems :P It successfully compiled, but... nothing shows up in the preview. Just Kunkka, but no weapon =/ If it helps, I'm using Silo 3D and I'm not sure what else needs to be done to the model.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
    Aaaaand now begins the actual problems :P It successfully compiled, but... nothing shows up in the preview. Just Kunkka, but no weapon =/ If it helps, I'm using Silo 3D and I'm not sure what else needs to be done to the model.
    bones

Basic Member
    Suggestions on how to add whatever bones my model needs? Hexagon nor Silo seems to be aware of the existence of them AFAIK.

Thanks for all the help so far though!

I also would like to know this. (I use Blender tho).

I mean, sure, I know it needs bones for animation... but...

HOW??? What bone? What I actually have to do?
    Do I just add a new bone and set it up for some specific setting? Or I have to copy the armature from the extracted hero model and bind the item on it (if yes how?)? etc.
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Basic Member
    I grabbed blender (and this may be a case of me not understanding how to operate it's UI), but I don't see any bones whatsoever in the downloaded/imported Kunkka mesh. What bones am I supposed to add? I assume it's one on the handle, but I have no idea of the name I'm supposed to use or any other special settings.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
    I grabbed blender (and this may be a case of me not understanding how to operate it's UI), but I don't see any bones whatsoever in the downloaded/imported Kunkka mesh. What bones am I supposed to add? I assume it's one on the handle, but I have no idea of the name I'm supposed to use or any other special settings.
    Which file are you importing? the smd?