Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Make Your Own Announcer

Basic Member
    Those are then mostly axe lines though. I think he wants John St. John taunt lines like in HoN, for example shit Duke Nukem says. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrhdYdsJkt8 <- vid.

I DAMN WANT A FAIRTALK ANNOUNCER!!!

Erm... I mean... Jolly that would be, young lads!
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Thanks for writing that guide, Crash!
    Any chance you took a look at my announcer some time ago?
    I really need some feedback from Valve to know how to get better, if you don't think it's good enough.

You can find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=85352794
    If needed, I can re-record and rename all my lines to fit in the guide style, but what I really need is some feedback on the quality

In the meantime, I'm thinking about a new announcer to be released in the next month...

Can you put the files on Google Docs for people who have older versions of Office?

Basic Member
    What about copy rights? Could i take eminems voice and cut some lines to make an Eminem announcer?

Basic Member
    I'm also sort of interested / curious about legal issues. For example, I had a friend who sounds identical to Solid Snake record some lines that are completely free of any true references to Metal Gear Solid. Would Valve allow this, since it actually doesn't copy any trademarked names / people / etc?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=87789769

Valve Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fydorian View Post
    Any tips on what kind of recording software/hardware to use? This sounds pretty interesting, but what's the limit of quality for it to be accepted before enhancements? I noticed that the pirate announcer, while creative and with great dialogue was medium in execution until edited with the echo etc. when it became very impressive.
    For hardware, any high-quality microphone could work. The ideal situation is a soundproofed room with a studio-quality mic, of course, but ultimately what matters is whether you're happy with the quality of voice you hear in your recording.

The most important thing is to eliminate background noise and static as much as possible, because that's more distracting than any slight frequency distortion. Also, as you point out, you can improve a so-so recording a lot with good postprocessing. Asking a musician friend can get you a lot of good advice here.

For software, you just need something that can record 48khz or 44.1khz 16bit mono PCM with reproducible settings. We use SoundForge, but even the open source Audacity should work fine. We only need mono-track recordings since announcers aren't in stereo. Make sure to save your recording settings, including microphone settings and position, etc, to lessen variation between sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkirby View Post
    Is the list of response rule criteria listed in the word document a complete list of everything that can be used, or are there more commands? Is there anyway to make use of some of the rules used by heroes, like lines for a specific hero being dying, or say a comment for an event like Skeleton King dying with his ult up, but lacking mana?
    The criteria in the document are pretty much what we've got right now. For the numeric criteria ( "chance%" and "gametime is greater than xx" ) you can specify whatever number you want. But we will support more criteria in the future as the need arises. For example, "lines for a specific hero dying" sounds like a pretty good idea, so I'll probably code that into the game as a new criterion. (You'd probably want that as a spectator announcement, though, rather than spamming active players.)

Bear in mind that the spreadsheet you submit goes through a manual hookup process when we bring it into the game, and the whole system is still being actively worked on. So if we see an idea for a new criterion that seems really useful, we might add it in to support better announcers.

Valve Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnNoHtml View Post
    I'm also sort of interested / curious about legal issues. For example, I had a friend who sounds identical to Solid Snake record some lines that are completely free of any true references to Metal Gear Solid. Would Valve allow this, since it actually doesn't copy any trademarked names / people / etc?
    As with all Community Workshop submissions, you should avoid infringing on the intellectual property of others. This includes celebrity impersonations, so for example a "fake Arnold Schwarzenegger" announcer wouldn't be accepted (no matter how much I might enjoy one).

But "generic action hero guy", or a new character of your own invention, might work.
    Last edited by Crash; 08-11-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Valve Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by GeminiViRiS View Post
    Can you put the files on Google Docs for people who have older versions of Office?
    I've reexported the document as a .doc file (below). It'll also appear on our Workshop Submission Guidelines webpage soon.

So You Want To Make An Announcer.doc

Just a few minor ideas that may be good for criteria, events like a Neutral or Roshan getting a kill could make for some amusing announcer or Mega Kill Lines, and stuff like Primary Attribute, If they are a Radiant/Dire Hero, and Melee/Range should also allow for a good amount of potential depth that should be easy to code.

Some other criteria that would be nice to check for is if a tower gets killed with back door protection, and maybe how long it took to take it down (So you could make a line if an enemy sneaks in and one shots a nearly dead tower, or wails at a tower for a solid 10 seconds), and the ability to tell if a glyph was used right after a tower was destroyed (So maybe a critera for telling when the last tower fell in seconds, which can also be used to make lines for the enemy pushing down towers at a very rapid pace)

Well, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, always great to see some really direct feedback.
    Last edited by Drkirby; 08-11-2012 at 10:04 PM.