Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sniper's Headshot attack speed slow seems to not usually be applied

Sniper's Headshot attack speed slow seems to not usually be applied

While messing around in a local lobby to see the effects of the Headshot changes, I noticed that while the bonus damage and movement speed slow were being applied on every Headshot, the attack speed slow was only occasionally being applied. That is, Sniper's target moved slower and took bonus damage from every Headshot proc, but would only occasionally have its attack speed slowed. After closely observing and studying the combat log for 23 Headshots, I noted that for 15 of them, the time between the attacks of Sniper's target (its attack time) was identical to what it would be without the Headshot slow (I used Ogre Magi for most of the tests, and Anti-Mage for a few; the Headshot attack speed slow's rate of application was essentially the same for both heroes).

I was going to post this in the main gameplay bugs forum, but I thought that this behavior may be intended. Perhaps the effects of very brief effects like Headshot are based on which part of the target's attack animation it procs during? So, is this behavior intended, or is this yet another attack speed bug?
    Last edited by acetone15; 10-24-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acetone15 View Post
    While messing around in a local lobby to see the effects of the Headshot changes, I noticed that while the bonus damage and movement speed slow were being applied on every Headshot, the attack speed slow was only occasionally being applied. That is, Sniper's target moved slower and took bonus damage from every Headshot proc, but would only occasionally have its attack speed slowed. After closely observing and studying the combat log for 23 Headshots, I noted that for 15 of them, the time between the attacks of Sniper's target (its attack time) was identical to what it would be without the Headshot slow ( I used Ogre Magi for most of the tests, and Anti-Mage for a few; the Headshot attack speed slow's rate of application was essentially the same for both heroes).

I was going to post this in the main gameplay bugs forum, but I thought that this behavior may be intended. Perhaps the effects of very brief effects like Headshot are based on which part of the target's attack animation it procs during? So, is this behavior intended, or is this yet another attack speed bug?
    in dota 2, Attack cooldownn and attack points are not updated in real time.
    Finally decided to "transition" to dota 2. Still does not like moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Clogon View Post
    in dota 2, Attack cooldownn and attack points are not updated in real time.
    Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what this implies.

Basic Member
    0.0: attack started.
    0.5: check for attack speed change.
    1.0: check for attack speed change.
    1.2: something slows your attack speed.
    1.5: check for attack speed change.

Quote Originally Posted by ZzZombo View Post
    0.0: attack started.
    0.5: check for attack speed change.
    1.0: check for attack speed change.
    1.2: something slows your attack speed.
    1.5: check for attack speed change.
    Ah, okay. So there's a significant delay between each time the game engine checks for attack speed modifications. I assume it's a constant value, but is it known (your post implies that it's every half second), and is this behavior intended?

Ah, okay. So there's a significant delay between each time the game engine checks for attack speed modifications. I assume it's a constant value, but is it known (your post implies that it's every half second), and is this behavior intended?
    It was changed more recently to be more correct (I believe). I don't see it on the bug list either so I would assume it is correct right now

Quote Originally Posted by rockonrob View Post
    It was changed more recently to be more correct (I believe). I don't see it on the bug list either so I would assume it is correct right now
    Do you know what the previous behavior was and when the change was made?

Do you know what the previous behavior was and when the change was made?
    6.81 patch.

Quote Originally Posted by rockonrob View Post
    6.81 patch.
    Are you referring to this line from the 6.81 changelog's general section?

Attack Speed now always continually adjusts based on the latest modifications applied to the unit [?]
    This makes it so heavy attack speed slows don't linger into the next attack even after their duration has expired (most impactful with abilities like Untouchable and Fire Spirits)
    My interpretation of this would mean that what I observed in my Headshot tests should never happen. The delay between checks for attack speed modifiers should be imperceptibly small so that the attack speed slow should always be applied. Perhaps that was the intent, and it fixed interactions with Untouchable, Fire Spirits and the like, but caused this issue with Headshot?

Edit: On second thought, that idea doesn't make any sense, given that the time between attack speed modifier checks is clearly perceptible.
    Last edited by acetone15; 10-25-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Where you at, imxtrabored? It seems you are needed.
    I wonder what awaits me at the end of everything.