Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Aghanim, Master Artificer and Wizard

On The Construct Magus & Related Rumors
    An excerpt from K. Bahrus's Introduction to Artificing

In my years as a professor, I have heard countless inquiries on the works of Aghanim, known more commonly as The Construct Magus. I used to dismiss their curiosity as easily as I dismiss the thought of a stone that can turn lead into gold. But more recently, I have taken an interest in this legend.

While tales of Aghanim's creations vary wildly, there are several factors that hold true in most stories. The first parallel between all tales is his age and birthday: he was born on the first Moonfall, in the shattering of the Mad Moon. Some tales claim that his mother was struck in the heart by a shard of the Moon, and that Aghanim was raised by the first Smeevils in the forge of Abzidian, the Demon Smith. Others claim that his mother was killed in the chaos that followed Moonfall, and was--again--raised by the first Smeevils in the forge of Abzidian. In one way or another, every story tells of how the infant Aghanim was orphaned, and how he learned the secrets of artificing in the Demon Forge. It should be noted that, while handy, Smeevils know very little of artificing, and they know nothing of caring. While it is possible that a Smeevil would take note of a crying infant, it is more likely to use the baby to fuel the furnace of its master.

Aghanim's upbringing as Abzidian's assistant progressed into his late teens, and ended with the forging of Demon Edge and Abzidian's suicide. Afterwards, Aghanim's tale diverges. A popular direction is for Aghanim to continue work in the Demon Forge, shifting his focus from metalwork to general artificing. It is during this time that he is said to have created the original Staff of Wizardry. Other artifacts, such as the original Vanguard and the Scythe of Vyse, are attributed to his early years as a lone artificer. These claims should be taken with a grain of salt; artifacts with known creators, such as Messerschmidt's Reaver Axe, are mistakenly attributed to Aghanim. The Pipe of Insight, one of my own inventions, was claimed to be one of Aghanim's.

The core of all tales is, of course, his Scepter: a mystical artifact that unlocks the wielder's greatest potential. The Dezun believe it to be the key to The Nothl Realm. The Omniknights believe it to contain the power of The Omniscience. The Knights of the Fold believe it was the scepter used by Obelus himself. But the one continuous belief of all these cultures and religions remains the same: It was created by Aghanim.

If the tales are to be believed, Aghanim, along with ten other Magi, went on to become The Insubstantial Eleven, and oversaw the founding of The Hidden Council. It was during this time that Aghanim took up the title of Construct Magus. Of course, these claims are impossible to prove, as only the members of The Insubstantial Eleven know who they are.

Lastly, it is worth mentioning that Rubick, the esteemed Grand Magus, claims to be the son of Aghanim. It is also worth mentioning that the same Grand Magus once attempted to use a pigeon as a parachute.

A note on the Scepter
    The sheer impossibility of such an all-encompassing enchantment will be explored in chapter 3, The Reach of Artificing. In simple terms, the energy required to enchant an object is directly proportional to the possible outcomes and world-altering effects of the enchantment. A simple enchantment, as used to create a Ring of Protection--commonly "I Defend my Bearer"--requires little energy. On the other hand, Aghanim's enchantment--possibly "I Unlock Your Power"--would require an incredible amount. As all who have attempted this enchantment would attest, it is nigh impossible to summon even a fraction of the required strength.

Basic Member
    would really prefer if the fan fiction stayed in its own thread.. even what DeepQantas said bothered me

Basic Member
    would really prefer if the fan fiction stayed in its own thread.. even what DeepQantas said bothered me

You're on the Lore subforum. It's pretty much here for fanfiction and speculation.

Basic Member
    If you guys played dota1 in the old days, you would know that every 9th version of dota, there would be a secret boss on the map, then in the next version it would be released as almost a new game-breaking hero. The last three have been phoenix, tauren chiefton, and invoker. It would be real cool if Aghanim will be the next boss coming up (might take a while till 6.79), and then appear as an awesome hero, even more awesome than Rubick, probably as the one of Fundamentals, maybe the a Fundamental for the magic itself.

Basic Member
    One of Enigma's quotes is:
    "The four pillars stand together once more."
    and also:
    "Those from the founding here once again."

I doubt we'll be seeing any more Fundamenetals, though they may expand on the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by eljimo View Post
    If you guys played dota1 in the old days, you would know that every 9th version of dota, there would be a secret boss on the map, then in the next version it would be released as almost a new game-breaking hero. The last three have been phoenix, tauren chiefton, and invoker. It would be real cool if Aghanim will be the next boss coming up (might take a while till 6.79), and then appear as an awesome hero, even more awesome than Rubick, probably as the one of Fundamentals, maybe the a Fundamental for the magic itself.
    The Fundamentals are embodiments of the four real-world forces: Strong, Weak, Gravity, and Electromagnetism

Quote Originally Posted by GIROG View Post
    The Fundamentals are embodiments of the four real-world forces: Strong, Weak, Gravity, and Electromagnetism
    Chaos, Ezalor, Enigma and Wisp.
    But now, tell me how a gigantic wave of 400 damage is weak?
    But if they are the embodiments of the fundamental interaction, who would be the embodiment of the matter?

Basic Member
    Not really. Ezalor and Nessaj don't fit in with those, even if Wisp and Enigma do.

The Weak force is actually incredibly strong, just for the record. It breaks atoms apart, which is a pretty big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBeoulve View Post
    Chaos, Ezalor, Enigma and Wisp.
    But if they are the embodiments of the fundamental interaction, who would be the embodiment of the matter?
    Enigma goes out of his way to describe Ezalor and Chaos Knight as "weak" and "strong," respectively. He also talks about Ezalor's decay (which the Weak force causes) and how he sparks suns to shine.

It may not make the most sense, but it's definitely what they're going for.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GIROG View Post
    Enigma goes out of his way to describe Ezalor and Chaos Knight as "weak" and "strong," respectively. He also talks about Ezalor's decay (which the Weak force causes) and how he sparks suns to shine.

It may not make the most sense, but it's definitely what they're going for.
    or, it could be like trollarc (treyarc) and put in a bunch of eastereggs that lead people running in circles. just like we are in math class, and you end up overworking the problem and get it wrong, while valve just grins at the lore we just made.

in all cases, the scepter learns from new abillities, strengthening the arguement it was made to learn spells. this is proven in the fact that in the latest update, it learned how to strengthen nortroms and ancient apiritions abilities. it hints at some intellegence, although not. going into sc2 lore, wings of liberty, the shard gotten from the protoss ship developes itself, creating a crystaline structure. it makes the hyperion run smoother and is noted to have some intellegence, although it isn't known how. i would say these are made of the same substance.