Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: AI - Enemy bots smarter

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    I'd put money on there being a hidden "co-op vs ai" audience in this genre that nobody has really given a chance to exist yet. Give those people high-quality bot opponents and some achievements/other rewards and I think they might show a lot of interest in the game.
    League of Legends has bot support and a lot of people like playing against them, but a decent player pretty much go 50/0 against them.

DotA with 10 human players is a stressful environment, emotions tend to run high. Not everybody likes that, the thing is that you've never seen the people that don't tolerate it because that's the reason they rarely or never play DotA (and the previous AIs are marred with rampant cheating, general stupidity, and superhuman reactions). For instance, my buddy's girlfriend absolutely loves Sandking, she thinks he's the coolest hero ever and she'd love to play DotA to play him. But she's not comfortable at all with playing against real people who constantly flame each other. Give her a very competent AI to play against and she'd play the game non-stop.

I'd put money on there being a hidden "co-op vs ai" audience in this genre that nobody has really given a chance to exist yet. Give those people high-quality bot opponents and some achievements/other rewards and I think they might show a lot of interest in the game.
    Well, I get your point. It cuts both ways though.

Quote Originally Posted by tootboot View Post
    League of Legends has bot support and a lot of people like playing against them, but a decent player pretty much go 50/0 against them.
    Yeah, exactly -- their coop/ai mode shows that there's definitely interest, if it had more depth I bet it would get a lot of attention.
    Last edited by Otter; 01-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Enemy bots are clearly stronger and well coordinated.

I've just played Magina and, if you farm vanguard+manta only at your lane during 20 min, allied bots team will let them take at least 3 towers and go like 15/3 in favor of enemies.

I always give them commands to push and defend, but it's not enough. I had to go full item inventory farm and (that's vey sad) use BACKDOOR against bot in order to win...

Every teambattle allied bot seem to be afraid, they do nothing aside from just watching while enemy bots initiate and kill them all. Even when allied bot initiate, it's very common Tide blinking into their team and doing nothing after, getting killed instantly.

Unfair mode = pub mode, you may win by yourself, helped by 4 feeders!

I thought "unfair" would mean extra HP/MP regen, perfect dodgeability, bonus gold....but unfair about their behavior (feeding) is the most unfair possible feature!

Basic Member
    DotA with 10 human players is a stressful environment, emotions tend to run high. Not everybody likes that, the thing is that you've never seen the people that don't tolerate it because that's the reason they rarely or never play DotA (and the previous AIs are marred with rampant cheating, general stupidity, and superhuman reactions). For instance, my buddy's girlfriend absolutely loves Sandking, she thinks he's the coolest hero ever and she'd love to play DotA to play him. But she's not comfortable at all with playing against real people who constantly flame each other. Give her a very competent AI to play against and she'd play the game non-stop.

A co-op versus AI should almost be a no-brainer with the amount of work being put into the bots, especially considering DotA 2 is going to be attracting a lot of new players who can be eased into the game this way.

Valve Developer
    Making it easier to play co-op vs bots is definitely something we've talked about.