Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [3ds Max] Importing weapon into game puts it in wrong coordinates

Exclamation [3ds Max] Importing weapon into game puts it in wrong coordinates

Here is what I have done, to bind my weapon to default skeleton.
    Imported .smd of default PA weapon into 3ds max ->Imported my weapon model -> Skinned my weapon model -> Positioned my weapon over default weapon -> Deleted default weapon and added its bone to my weapon, and also deleted my weapon bone -> Exported it as .fbx -> Managed to get it uploaded into the game. And here is what I get:

EDIT: I do not think the textures are also showing up.

I have already uploaded this model using the others section from dota 2. Do I need to reupload it since Phantom Assassin slots have been enabled in workshop?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DeathCult; 08-14-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    My Dota 2 workshop AceMcShanks

Banned
    Confirmed. 3DS Max uses Z-Axis for height, Maya and Games use Y-Axis.
    Solution is probably to rotate your object by 90 degrees around the X-Axis. I remember that the same issue already occured when people tried to create weapons for TES IV: Oblivion.
    Don't know if 3DS Max has an option to change the Axes, but you could look in 3DS Max websites/forums to find the answer.

Edit: http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autod...dinate-system/

Apparently it should be sufficient to just change the settings for the Up-Axis in the Export dialogue.
    Last edited by Typhox; 08-14-2012 at 02:55 AM.

@Typhox: I just checked with my .fbx export settings. The default selection for up axis is Y.
    I think I will try rotating my model and bones 90 degrees now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathCult View Post
    @Typhox: I just checked with my .fbx export settings. The default selection for up axis is Y.
    That's also what I noticed.
    Maybe if you change it to Z then?

Changed to Z. Still getting same result.
    Do we need to import bindpose.smd into our model or not?

EDIT: Rotated 90 degrees around X Axis. This is the result I get.
    Last edited by DeathCult; 08-14-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Im also having problem importing from max. Either its misplaced or giving me errors. I'm trying different stuff out and will post if i find the right way.

Have you guys been resetting your xforms? If not, that is likely the cause of the misplaced geo. Before you skin and export, make sure you place all of the pivots at 0,0,0 and reset xforms on your meshes. If you have already skinned it, you can still do both of those by moving the xform to the middle of the stack and collapsing, or by moving your pivot as normal. Meshes build up junk transformation history over time for position, rotation and scale, which will confuse the exporter. You want to reset the Xforms so that as far as max is concerned, the position you have it is the only position it's ever been in.

You should indeed have BindPose.smd imported and be skinning to those bones. You should also include the bones (only the ones you've skinned to) in the export along with the meshes. When you export the axis setting should be set to Y. Don't do it manually, let the exporter handle it.

When you say place all pivots at 0,0,0, do you mean that I must select all objects and bones at 0,0,0? If so, I am doing that. I have not done anything with respect to xforms. And I have been exporting my objects as editable poly, not as editable mesh.

When I import the BindPose.smd into my object, the length of the bone named "root" becomes 2x times it was before I imported it. Can you tell me if that affects the object placement or how to avoid it? And I am sticking with the axis set my exporter, which is Y.

The pivots for your editable polys should be 0,0,0. Don't change anything on the bones. If you imported the bones from the fbx provided on the requirements page you actually don't need to import BindPose.smd, so don't worry about that part. You can also disregard bones other than the ones you are skinning to. For example, if you are just making a hat, the only bone you need be concerned with is the head bone (or additional bones) you have bound it to, you can delete the rest of the skeleton if you like.

Simple steps:
    - Reset xforms on your editable polys
    - Set the pivots for your editable polys to zero
    - Import skeleton
    - Skin the editable polys to the bones
    - Export the editable polys and the specific bones they are skinned to

Just woke up ) thanks Frumpl for the advice, will try those steps during the day an see what will happen.