Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Mate Indicator

Lightbulb [Suggestion] Mate Indicator

---------- Edit ----------
    Partially imlemented! We're getting there :P
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2013/10/do...#scoreboard-ui
    ---------- Edit ----------

Hey =)

I guess everyone plays with or against mates/parties/premades/stacks from time to time. Sometimes you have 2 mates in your team and sometimes your are the only random player in the whole game.
    No matter what: I would like to know if I am playing with or against mates without asking them.

My Suggestion:
    A Mate Indicator

What is a Mate Indicator?
    A mate indicator is a small symbol in the scoreboard which shows you who is playing together (i.e. who is cuttently in a party together).
    This wouldn't be an usable function. It would just be a small sign you could check out in case you want to know.

Why is a Mate Indicator needed?
    It is obviously important to know whether you are playing with (!) mates or not.
    Usually they inform you about that ("me and blue bot. we are mates") but since there is no need to be cagey about it, the team should know instantly if they are playing with mates (and how many).

Thats the reason why there should be mate indicator for the own team and I dont see any harm in that.
    Furthermore I would like to see if I am playing against (!) mates/parties/premades:

Why should the Mate Indicator reveal the opponents mates/parties/premades?
    I think mates have an advantage against random players since the teamplay and the communication is (or could be) much better.
    For this reason the opponents should at least know that they are playing against mates which wouldn't affect that gameplay at all.

In professional tournaments every player knows: We are a team and we are playing against a team.

Another reason why there is no need to be caguey about it:
    It is already possible to see if I am playing against mates.

How to check atm if you are playing against mates:
    Method 1: Check their names (usually pretty similiar if they want others to know)
    Method 2: Go on someones profil under "last games" and check if he played with someone before
    Method 3: Go to dotabuff.com and search for someones name. There is a list with friends ("# Matches played together").

Of course these methods are not 100% promising but usually its pretty easy to check someone for mates even in the 2 min when others are loading the map.

Downside of this feature:
    Mates who want to pubstomp some random players will have more fun if the opponents are not prepared.
    In my opinion there aren't more cons but I would like to be informed about it if I missed something.

As always:
    Please let me know what you think about this idea and discuss it as detailed as you want to.

Let me split this into 2 options to simplify the discussion about it:

Option 1: Mate indicator for own and opposing team
    Option 2: Mate indicator for own team only

My choice is obviously Option 1 but even only Option 2 would be an improvement =)

Here is an example how it could look:

This picture represents Option 1 but you can imagine how it would look with Option 2 only.
    It is the loading screen only but the feature should be in the scoreborad to.
    If the "Mate Indicator" uses different symbols there would be a total of 4 symbols needed since 4 parties is the maximum amount of parties in a match.
    For example:

An other idea could be one symbol with 4 different colours.

Greetings,
    Eggsplorer
    Last edited by Eggsplorer; 10-19-2013 at 05:00 AM.

+ 1

I like it very much!
    +1

Basic Member
    +1

Good idea, at least we will see with our own eyes how broken M-M is and how often it throws solo guys against stacks

You can already do this by checking everyone's steam profile and if in doubt referring to stats.dota2.be. In the current matchmaking implementation you should still try to avoid playing with any stacks either on the enemy team or yours. Matchmaking now adds a positive modifier to stacks mmr, pushing them into games above their individual skill resulting in a higher chance for the stack to lose. Combine this with the omni-present problem of 3 friends always blaming the 2 solo players for everything and it becomes second nature to leave the game before or during hero selection if you detect stacks.

There's a reason other dota-genre games have a solo queue.

The only problem with this is ppl will dc if they see 5 man teams against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    The only problem with this is ppl will dc if they see 5 man teams against them.
    The game doesn't match 5 man teams against non-5-man-teams.

"Silence is golden."

Basic Member
    +1, I like this idea (Option 1 > Option 2)

Maybe the symbols could be colored stars or something, so just the color changes rather than the shape. In any case, very useful.

Basic Member
    Why should the Mate Indicator reveal the opponents mates/parties/premades?
    I think mates have an advantage against random players since the teamplay and the communication is (or could be) much better.
    For this reason the opponents should at least know that they are playing against mates which wouldn't affect that gameplay at all.
    This is (theoretically) compensated for by the match making. IIRC, a group will be placed above the average skill level of it's parts.
    Also a communication advantage is not valid at all. If your team isn't communicating they are making the choice not to, there is nothing limiting them.

Another reason why there is no need to be caguey about it:
    It is already possible to see if I am playing against mates.

How to check if you are playing against mates:
    Method 1: Check their names (usually pretty similiar if they want others to know)
    Method 2: Go on someones profil under "last games" and check if he played with someone before
    Method 3: Go to stats.dota2.be and search for someones name. There is a list with friends ("# Matches played together").

Of course these methods are not 100% promising but usually its pretty easy to check someone for mates even in the 2 min when others are loading the map.
    This is completely invalid. Just because the information is already available in a round about way doesn't mean we should enable the people looking for it.
    To illustrate, it's possible for underage people to access alcohol. That doesn't mean a government should allow selling it to them.