Thread: [Maya] Connecting bones

[Maya] Connecting bones

I am having a hard time here with adding a bone connection.

I cant understand whether item has to be connected to the skin or bone (and if it is should be connected to the skin, how do I save the file, so I wont have additional skin polygons).
    And if you have some spare tips about making such a connection in Maya I'd be very grateful, I am still new to it.

Or else I could save my project in FBX and add the connection part in some other program, which can do it easier?

Basic Member
    Select the hip joint then select the belt.

In animation, go to Bind Skin -> Smooth Bind Option box

Reset the tool to default.

Bind to: Selected Joints
    Bind method: Closest Distance
    Max Influences: 3
    Dropoff: 4

Everything else default, select geometry only and export selection.

thx! <3

I just have to ask, are you going to reduce the polycount on that belt first? It is incredibly dense for what is there, and all those polygons in the middle are doing nothing for the silhouette, so they're basically useless. Those polys could be used to refine the outer shape more, or create a strap going around him to hold it. Plus, are you looking at the triangle count, not the face count? those quads will become triangles, doubling the polygon count, I wonder if it will even fit in the restriction.
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

Basic Member
    I would make it like this...

Well I'm still very new to modeling, picked up it as my new hobby. Apparently that was true, poly count way too huge to fit in the game. I'm taking slow steps forward though.

P.S. Still not sure how to reduce the number of polygons without destroying the silhouette but I'm on it.
    Last edited by GiaLoTa; 08-19-2012 at 02:39 AM.

You have to remember, nobody will ever get that close to the model in the game, the closest they'll ever get is about 3x zoomed out from that. But keep a high poly version of it handy, because you'll be wanting to use Maya's transfer map feature, to give your model a more professional look. You'll be able to capture that curvature into a normal map and apply it to the lower poly version.

Here is a quick mockup of the general poly density range you should have:

Only 88 tris for that, and with a normal map, it would capture most of the shape and silhouette of your model. You can of course go a bit denser than that, since the limit for the belt is a fair bit higher. But that's a fine base as it sits.

Use the interactive split tool as well, to direct lines for better polygon flow, and to make triangles where quads aren't needed, since the model will be converted to triangles on import anyways.

(Also, about how I made that, I just started with a cube, with three width ways divisions. Scale it width ways, double clicked edges and scaled them to get the most basic shape of it, scaled in the back. Used offset edge-loop on the center to bring in two more edges to get more of the shape. Then used insert edge loop along it length wise and pulled those out for the vertical curvature.) Always start simple when modeling, and then build up from it, adding detail where needed.
    Last edited by Kakkoii; 08-19-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

Well it took me around 8 days (including all those ragequits everytime something just stopped making sense for me in maya) for this:

Yet it's pretty far away from complete due to needed adjustments (though, I think I'd try to start it all over again with new model skipping mistakes I made in this one)

It's very impressive that you can make a decent model in a very short time, because for me it's extremely difficult atm, basically you lost me after the "I just started the cube.."
    Anyways thx for the notes, yet I obviously have to gain much more experience in 3d before submiting my projects to steam workshop.