Thread: Maya Workflow

Basic Member

Maya Workflow

Hello,

As title say i want to know a workflow to import this models in Maya. I am downloading models from http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements . There is already a Maya file in it. When i open it, it gives me lots of errors and textures doesnt seem to connect by itself. I tried creating new project but Textures doesnt seem to b working. Can any1 help me with this? Thanks in Advance.

They didn't release their development tools for Maya, so Maya can't use the custom shader nodes the models are using. You'll need to just apply the texture file to the shader yourself. It's best to just apply new materials to the parts and connect the textures yourself. _color.tga goes in the Color slot, _normal.tga goes in the bump map spot (set to Tangent space), and the mask files are more tricky, you're not going to be able to really fully visualize all your mask layers on the model within Maya. So apart from checking out the normal and color map, the rest should be tested within the workshop compiler, since they are largely dependent on the engine's lighting capabilities.

Also, normal maps generated by Maya or ZBrush need to have their Green channel "Inverted", before importing into the workshop, or else the normal map will look wrong. (You can tell if the green channel needs to be inverted, if when looking at the normal map, bumps appear to be bumps, instead of concave indents)

The workflow I use is, concept and paint in ZBrush, create a low poly around it in Maya (or do it beforehand if you already have a concept, then add edgeloops and subdivide it in ZBrush and start sculpting), then use Maya's transfer maps to create the normal, diffuse/color, lighting and AO maps from the high res model. The other channels in the mask files can be done by hand, utilizing the maps already created, especially the AO map.

But find what works for you best. Then when your model is ready (make sure you Edit>Freeze Transformations), just select the item and the bone/s you want to skin it to and go Animation:Skin>Bind Skin>Smooth Bind. With it set to (by clicking the little box on the right) "Selected Joints", and "Remove Unused Influences" checked.

If it's a weapon or hat, you probably won't have to do any weight painting, but if you do, Skin>Edit Smooth Skin>Paint Skin Weights tool. Then double click the paint weights icon on the left side panel to open up the settings, and inside the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Once it's skinned, just select the object and bone/s and go Export Selected, and as FBX. Then just import that and your textures into the workshop to view
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

Basic Member
    Huge hel[ thanks a lot. I was thinking of using just maya and paint all maps and use crazybump to generate normals.. is there anywhere i can add you to talk more about this topic?

Crazy bump is only going to give you texture based normals, it's not a solution for something like this. You want normals created from the shape of a high poly version of your model, matched to the averaged normals of your object (the normals are automatically averaged when you import into the game, hard edges aren't supported). Maya transfer maps will do this easily, you don't even need to UV map the higher poly version. It will just transfer the details to your low poly version, in the form of a normal map that fits into the UV map your low poly has.

But if you need to use crazybump to get some bump information from certain textures you want to use, merely export a displacement map of it, and apply it to your high poly along with the diffuse. Then subdivide the model a few times and go Modify>Convert>Displacement to Polygons. This way you can then have that crazybump generated bumping be physically modeled bumps on the high poly, that will be captured when you do the transfer maps.

And yes, you can add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kakkoii/
    Last edited by Kakkoii; 08-19-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

Basic Member
    Thanks a lot. I have added Steam ID is wolverine1357