Thread: [Confirmed] Assist Stats uses wrong Timewindow

Basic Member

[Confirmed] Assist Stats uses wrong Timewindow

What is the exact definition of what constitutes an assist in Dota 2? I was under the impression that it was the criteria as defined here:
    http://www.playdota.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=19

An assist is given if:
    • Target is on other team and is killed by someone on your team or your side (ie "Killed by Radiant")
    • In the past 15 seconds, you dealt damage to the target or hit the target with a 0 damage spell ( like one of the spells in the list in the above link )

While parsing a replay, my program missed counting an assist. I went back and checked what happened. An assist was given to a Jakiro even though the last amount of damage Jakiro had done to the hero that died was 16 seconds prior (see below if you are interested in how I know it was exactly 16 seconds).

I'm not sure if this should be in the bug report forum or here. If the official definition is 15 seconds, then the game is counting assists incorrectly. If the official definition is something else, could someone please tell me what the official definition of an assist is? I cannot find the official definition on playdota.com or the Dota 2 Wiki.

Aside:
    I parsed the combat log to confirm that the last interaction between Furion (hero who died) and Jakiro (hero who got the assist) was greater than 15 seconds. The replay is game 4 of the Defense final Mouz vs. coL and the parsing tool I'm using is the one Zoid provided over at the replay forum. At tick 57411, the last instance of Jakiro's Dual Breath hits Furion for 15 damage then fades. Jakiro runs away and has no more interaction with Furion. Furion is then killed by Morphling at tick 57891. The difference in ticks is 480 ticks or 16 seconds (30 ticks in a second). Between tick 57411 and 57891, there is no further interaction between Furion and Jakiro. Until Morphling catches up with Furion, the only time Furion appears in the combat log is when he gets healed by a mech.

Basic Member
    Assists are only a stat, you don't receive money for assists, you get them from being near killed enemy hero.

Basic Member
    just in case none of our mechies can answer that right from the bat:
    please post the matchid and timestamps.

and strinter220 is right.
    assists are merely a stat and have nothing to do with money distribution. so even if it was off, it wouldnt be too bad.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Yes, I do realize that assists are only a stat. I'm parsing the replays so I can get stats and I would like to try to keep an accurate count of assists. Matchid is 32467845. Below are the requested timestamps and combat log excerpts. I parsed other parts of the replay and it appears that assists are being rewarded for doing damage as far as 19.13 seconds prior to the target dying.

Jakiro's last hit on Furion:

dota_combatlog eventid:177
    type: 0
    sourcename: 21
    targetname: 5
    attackername: 21
    inflictorname: 35
    attackerillusion: 0
    targetillusion: 0
    value: 15
    health: 766
    timestamp: 1917.853271
    targetsourcename: 5
    type: 3
    sourcename: 0
    attackername: 0
    inflictorname: 49
    value: 0
    targetsourcename: 0
    type: 3
    sourcename: 0
    attackername: 0
    inflictorname: 37
    value: 1
    targetsourcename: 0

Furion's death:

type: 4
    sourcename: 1
    attackername: 1
    inflictorname: 0
    value: 0
    health: 0
    timestamp: 1933.849365
    targetsourcename: 5

Furion's combat log ID is 5, Morph's is 1, and Jakiro's is 21. Type: 4 indicates a death. Type: 3 indicates a buff/debuff fading (in this case Jakiro's Dual Breath (ID 35) ). Type: 0 indicates damage, in this case Jakiro damaging Furion with Dual Breath Burn ( ID 37 ).
    datdota.com -- Dota 2 Stats for the Professional Scene

Basic Member
    maybe they used 20 seconds instead of 15 seconds.
    could you parse a few other replays and see if you get more accurate results with 20 second timethresholds?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Basic Member
    I'll try posting a few more replays and see what I get. For what it's worth, here's the difference for the game I was talking about above.

Hero Name Actual Assists/ 15 Second Assists/ 20 Second Assists
    V1 "Disruptor" "21" "20" "21"
    V2 "Furion" "20" "19" "20"
    V3 "Queenofpain" "16" "16" "16"
    V4 "Tidehunter" "20" "18" "20"
    V5 "Venomancer" "22" "22" "22"
    V6 "Jakiro" "6" "4" "6"
    V7 "Leshrac" "7" "7" "7"
    V8 "Ogre_Magi" "5" "3" "5"
    V9 "Morphling" "5" "5" "5"
    V10 "Sand_King" "5" "5" "5"

20 Second Assists are correct for all heroes while the 15 second assists are off by 1 or 2 for 5 of the heroes.

Basic Member
    k, added to sticky.
    probably an oversight or intended change.

Basic Member
    Here's another game replay. MatchID 32403902. Only 1 assist is different when I change the assist criteria from 15 seconds to 20 seconds. The assist in question is Enchantress assisting on a Puck kill at 40:31 in replay time. Enchantress's summon does damage to Puck 18.5 seconds prior to him dying thus being picked up by the 20 second assist criteria and being ignored by the 15 second assist criteria.

Hero Name Actual Assists/ 15 Second Assists/ 20 Second Assists
    V1 "Venomancer" "13" "13" "13"
    V2 "Furion" "13" "13" "13"
    V3 "Puck" "6" "6" "6"
    V4 "Queenofpain" "5" "5" "5"
    V5 "Broodmother" "3" "3" "3"
    V6 "Rubick" "9" "9" "9"
    V7 "Enchantress" "14" "13" "14"
    V8 "Windrunner" "3" "3" "3"
    V9 "Shadow_Demon" "8" "8" "8"
    V10 "Brewmaster" "6" "6" "6"