Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ISP restarts then cannot reconnect

ISP restarts then cannot reconnect

My friend posted a thread about this exact issue months ago and didn't get any responses. Dota 2 is pretty much ruined for him because his ISP decides to restart their service at random points throughout the day and that disconnects him from dota 2. He immediately tries to reconnect and is unable to do so. This has resulted in him being in LPQ multiple times and him unable to enjoy the game at all. He cannot change his ISP because this is the only provider in the area. Are the devs aware of this or is there a fix out there?

It is your friends problem. His modem isn't working correctly, call the ISP for a new modem.
    System #1 Spec for Bug Reporting:_____System #2 Spec for Bug Reporting:
    ----------------------------------------_______..----------------------------------------
    CPU: Intel Core Duo T2300______________.CPU: Intel I7-3770K
    GPU: ATI Mobility X1600_________________GPU: Nvidia GTX-670
    RAM: DDR2 667 2GB__________________iiRAM: DDR3 1600 16GB
    OS: Win7 Ultimate 32bit___________________Win7 Ultimate 64bit
    Res: 720p_______________________________.Res: 1080p

Net: 25Mbit/1,5Mbit

Basic Member
    It could be any number of issues, an unstable signal between his modem and the node, too weak or even too powerful of a signal, a loose connection(Things that are outside tend to wear out quickly and need to be replaced, this is especially true with wires and connectors for Internet.) My last place had a connection that came from the roof and went to a powerline, and any time it was even slightly windy, I would constantly DC. It's possible, but unlikely that they are giving him a new IP address multiple times a day, I only get 1 a week, but some people i've known get a new one once a day. I've had issues reconnecting to the DotA game when that happens.

It could also be his modem like the poster above has stated, it's doubtful though, and is more likely one of the other issues I've stated as a faulty modem rarely stays connected for more than a few mins at a time and most of the time can't even connect, at least in my experience. ISP's also rarely, if ever restart their services throughout the day(most are mandated to have 99% uptime, as people using phones either by telephone wire or cable modem need to have access to call emergency response if necessary), it is more likely there is signal quality/strength issues (too strong or too weak and your modem can't stay connected) or a loose connection. Or some sort of interference happening multiple times a day that could be causing this.

I would suggest he phones his ISP and gets someone out to take a look at things, they should be able to see that he's having disconnection problems througout the day, but make sure he mentions that they check signal quality, as well as signal strength to make sure it's optimal. Also make sure he ask's them to check for loose connections in and out of his place. Most technicians that come do the bare minimum to test for problems. If he's asking for these things it's far more likely they'll get off their ass and check instead of just tinkering with your modem and saying that they don't see anything wrong. Leaving you with no solution to your problem.
    Last edited by Gigs; 08-22-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Is he using direct connection or wireless?

If wireless, set the DNS Lease Time to Change Less Frequently.
    Basically Run the command prompt and run ipconfig/all
    Note the lease obtained and expire timing.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-69-57-04-4A
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a097:764b:f186:65d3%14(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.15(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:38:38 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:43:20 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 156.154.70.22
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    Computer: Macbook Pro 13'
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate Media Center Edition & Mac OSX Lion
    Video Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (2108 MB)

DOTA 2 Crash Thread http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=29735
    Mac Support Thread http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=58152

Direct connect.

BTW this only happens on dota 2

Basic Member
    I had this on CS 1.6. The port the server was using (let say 27015) was denyed during 5 minutes after my connection rebooted, for no reason. I was free to go on any server but the one I was playing on. Didnt get any solution, just had to wait the ISP to fix the issue...

Hi, SeanIsFail please contact your Internet Service Provider and tell him the issue. By the way, which Internet Service Provider are you using?
    Computer: Macbook Pro 13'
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate Media Center Edition & Mac OSX Lion
    Video Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (2108 MB)

DOTA 2 Crash Thread http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=29735
    Mac Support Thread http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=58152

Quote Originally Posted by alexcamgeek View Post
    Hi, SeanIsFail please contact your Internet Service Provider and tell him the issue. By the way, which Internet Service Provider are you using?
    Hi it isn't my ISP. It is my friend Alakuu's and I will have to get the info for you.

Bump for help :x

I do not think it is the ISP at all. An ISP wouldn't randomly reset someones connection for no reason at all. You need to contact your ISP's technical support and tell them about the issue. If they got a decent support, they will take the request further to their technicans that work on the field which will probably result in the issue gone.

I had loads of issues with my internet before, took them 2 years to fix it. It went down every now and then for about 1 hr to 4 days. Really annoying. Atleast contact them and tell them that you want them to fix the problem. If it takes over 2 months for them to fix it, tell them that you're gonna change ISP. That always works. You'll get in high priority at once.

Best of luck to you my friend!