Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Hero-only abilities & Resistant Skin

Volunteer Moderator

[Confirmed] Hero-only abilities & Resistant Skin

Summary:

Brewmaster's primal split summons are hit by ice blast, while they are completely unaffected in WC3 Dota

Repro steps:

1) Pick AA and -createhero brewmaster enemy
    2) level both to atleast 6
    3) Use primal split
    4) Use ice blast on the primal split summons

Result:

Only earth is unaffected by ice blast. The debuff is also applied, and can shatter the fire and storm spirits. This can be seen in dota2://matchid=35756834&matchtime=2433 if you can't be bothered reproing.

Expected result:

Brewlings are unaffected by ice blast (from testing in DotA 1) - maybe because they are ancients?

EDIT:

Some hero-only skills and AOE abilities are targetting units with resistant skin (or "creep heroes" as they are now called)

List of abilities (that I have found) that work on resistant skin units that shouldn't:

Ancient Apparition's Ice Blast DoT
    Dazzle's Shallow Grave
    Dazzle's Weave (both allied and enemy)
    Doom's LVL Death? ( http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=69527 )
    **Huskar's Inner Vitality** See Misc.
    Kunkka's X-Marks the spot ( http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=73372 )
    Magnus' Skewer
    Puck's Dream Coil
    Razor's Static Link
    **Rubick's Spell Steal - "Cannot steal this spell" always displays but they are targettable**
    Silencer's Last Word ( http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=73381 )
    Spectre's Desolate ( http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=73388 )
    Witch Doctor's Maledict ( http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=90516 )

**Vengeful Spirit's Nether Swap - On Spirit Bear only** WITHOUT SCEPTRE ("Cannot target creeps" on familiars and brewlings)**

Abilities that differ correctly between the two:

Alchemist's Unstable Concoction
    Ancient Apparition's Chilling Touch
    Bounty Hunter's Track
    Chen's Hand of God
    Dark Seer's Wall of Replica
    Disruptor's Glimpse

Mirana's Moonlight Shadow
    Morphling's Replicate
    Outworld Destroyer's Astral Imprisonment
    Outworld Destroyer's Sanity's Eclipse
    Shadow Demon's Disruption
    Silencer's Curse of the Silent
    Spectre's Haunt
    **Spectre's Spectral Dagger** (They seem targettable, but do not leave their own trails and the dagger does not "chase" them)

Fixed by valve since start of this thread:

Drow Ranger's Precision Aura (when toggled to hero only - ofc should work when activated to all allies) [skill changed, no longer relevant]
    Luna's Lunar Blessing
    Troll Warlord's Ultimate
    Witch Doctor's Death Ward **WITH AGHANIM'S** - http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=68030

Misc:

Huskar's Inner Vitality can't target creeps (can in WC3 DotA)

BASICALLY if a skill can target BOTH CREEPS and HEROES it can be targetted, else it cannot. End of story. Now all things that CAN hit both should use the HERO interaction, with a possible exception of some triggered skills. But for this purpose some parts of skills, such as AA's Ultimate should be considered seperately (the initial nuke can hit creeps, while the DoT cannot, and should therefore not be felt by creeps).

From the Kunkka X-Marks thread.
    Last edited by Wyn-Ryder; 06-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Needs some more research. It could be an intentional change.

Volunteer Moderator
    Bump - it also affects spirit bear and warlock's ultimate and visage's familiars - anything with "resistant skin" in warcraft 3 (i.e. is treated as a hero for the purpose of paralysing cask etc.)
    Last edited by Wyn-Ryder; 09-19-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Alright. This actually seems to be: Hero-only skills affect units with resistant skin. Ice blast and Static Link are a couple of the examples I can think of - so maybe a more general title to the thread "Resistant skin treats the unit as a hero for all skill-related purposes" or something like that.

i can confirm that any spell resistant hero will still be affected by the Spirit Bear's entangling claws.
    i remember several times where an enemy uses bkb and i still caught him with entangling claws, i don't know if entangling claws damages skin resistant heroes but it sure did entangle that bkb user.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aeon44 View Post
    i can confirm that any spell resistant hero will still be affected by the Spirit Bear's entangling claws.
    i remember several times where an enemy uses bkb and i still caught him with entangling claws, i don't know if entangling claws damages skin resistant heroes but it sure did entangle that bkb user.
    Intended and not what I am discussing. I am discussing units with "resistant skin" - which CANNOT be heroes, but are treated like heroes for all abilities where they should only be treated like heroes for skills that can also target non-hero units.

Basic Member
    added to sticky.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    I'd like to add that Nature's Prophet ultimate shouldn't hit Spirit Bear but it does. In DoTA1 in fact there's a bug with it that if Wrath of Nature hits Spirit Bear first then the whole spell will not activate because Spirit Bear is immune which means it cannot bounce to anything else as the initial target takes no damage.

Unless this was fixed in the last few patches this should still be bugged.

Volunteer Moderator
    Nice find, but probably deserves it's own thread, I think it's due to it being an ancient, not it having resistant skin.

I can also confirm that it is affecting the spirit bear while it shouldn't, being both targettable and a valid target to bounce to are bugs.

The spell cannot be cast on spirit bear at all in dota 1 (Cannot target ancients)

Lol...
    I just wasted hour to make duplicate of every interaction listed here...
    I'm gonna PM someone to rework format of such entries on buglist, it's impossible to find.
    You gotta FIGHT!
    For Your RIGHT!
    To BUUUGFIX!