Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rhasta Serpent Wards damage calculation is wrong

Rhasta Serpent Wards damage calculation is wrong

I tried searching for this, but didnt find anything.

IIRC, Serpent wards in Dota 1, lets say, lvl 3 wards with scepter upgrade, do 94-100 damage (piercing).

Refer to the screenshots. I noticed that in the HUD the ward damage would be a random number between 94-100.

Now in Dota 2 I know that at least for heroes, we still have range of damage for normal attacks, and the HUD displays average damage.

So is there something wrong here? In Dota 1 the displayed damage for the wards is the range 94-100. In Dota 2, either wards no longer have a range of damage values but rather a randomised value within the range, or they still have the proper range in practice but the HUD is displaying incorrect averages.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to attach screenie

E:
    Quote Originally Posted by bu3ny View Post
    I just noticed, actually, they get their damage randomed periodically. Just select one ward and then another unit and then select the same ward again. You will notice that its damage changed.

This is a very strange system. Why not just give them damage range like for any other unit?

But anyway, it seems to work. The damage range is there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bu3ny; 07-18-2014 at 04:46 AM.

No idea, anyone?

i've read this one, but i can't tell anything, no words about damage range value for any unit yet... maybe mech guys/developers can say something about this?

Basic Member
    When you place the wards they get a random number out of the damage-range assigned as their (constant) damage. It's a pretty cheap way around the issue imo but works just fine so meh.
    Edit: While this potentially makes the standard variance bigger than it was in DotA1 it also reduces the number of times the RNG has to roll by a lot. Might just be a choice to increase performance.
    Last edited by flumen; 01-09-2012 at 11:58 AM.

I believe that they still do the range of damage the HUD just picks those numbers as the random one it displays. (also you can see the range of damage your hero does if you mouse over your damage fyi)

I know about the mouse over to see hero range of damage. However, it also doesnt work on non-heroes like the serpent wards.

If its picking a random number to display, then thats not good, because its neither displaying a range nor an average. Its a small issue since the range of damage for serpent wards is small, but its a bad precedent for display and/or application of range of damage on non-hero units.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ijko View Post
    I believe that they still do the range of damage the HUD just picks those numbers as the random one it displays.
    Nah, I checked the log. I killed all wards but one and that ward did the same amount of damage on every atack.

[Unconfirmed] Rhasta Serpent Wards damage calculation is wrong

When Wards are summoned they are given constant random 0+X damage, making ward do Exactly same X damage with each strike (each ward can have slightly different power)

While in wc3 each wards has a chance to hit for X to X+n, where n=4 to 6, with each strike (each ward has a chance to hit for the same or different amount of damage)
    Check out my newbie workshop here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...workshopfiles/ (getting better with every submission though ;O)
    Cases solved list:
    t=51973 Free terrain Vision; t=50357 Mirana ult + Manta; t=52974 Rhasta Serpent Wards dmg ;t=53288 Sell back possible exploits; etc...

Shameless merge with my old, old thread. Forgot all about this back then.

Added to sticky.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.

haha, dang u!
    Check out my newbie workshop here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...workshopfiles/ (getting better with every submission though ;O)
    Cases solved list:
    t=51973 Free terrain Vision; t=50357 Mirana ult + Manta; t=52974 Rhasta Serpent Wards dmg ;t=53288 Sell back possible exploits; etc...