Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parse chat for every hero related event and display as small icon popup info

Basic Member

Parse chat for every hero related event and display as small icon popup info

Like Hero X killed Hero Y (2 icons for the heroes with a jolly roger between them)
    Hero X popped up haste (hero icon + haste icon)
    Hero X bought Scepter (hero icon + scepter icon) or (scepter icon over top row hero icon)

etc.

Basic Member
    But then make it an option because I don't like it

Basic Member
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=53158

Double post. Delete

Note: It's even the same OP

Basic Member
    This isn't Half-Life, it's DOTA. That "X <icon> Y" thing was a HL (then later CS) thing. It has no place here, sorry

Basic Member
    I bet you are still using a text based Operating System because windows are for suckers....

The alternative at the moment is reading cryptic chat lines (made even cryptic by strange player names) just to see what happened.

Is it not easier to make an OPTION to display this info graphically?

Where to put that some of this stuff is supported already by hero voices.

Basic Member
    Since when is X got pwned by Y for Z gold cryptic ? It means Y killed X and got Z gold... nothing astronomical or rocket-sciencey about it.
    The chat box is separate and in the center of the screen, with an included history to see if you missed anything. They are both close together so you can see the action AND read it, unlike a chat on the left (top or bottom), a kill list (with an icon that you must actually guess what weapon it is) to the right (most likely top) and the action going around the center while your distracted from the text all over the place... What exactly is the problem in that ? It's as simple and straight-forward as can be.

P.S. I think you mean command line-based operating systems, not text-based... text-based is just Notepad or Edit (for those of you who lived in the DOS era... ahhhh those were the days when a game wouldn't start without dos4gw.exe in its directory [no such thing as a folder :P])
    Last edited by The Nomad; 08-29-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Basic Member
    Since when is [b]X got pwned by Y for Z gold[/y] cryptic ? It means Y killed X and got Z gold... nothing astronomical or rocket-sciencey about it.
    This

Edit: Also, a copy/paste from the other identical thread

I don't hate the idea, but I'm not a big fan either. We have notifications for the important things, runes, dust/gem/etc, kills. Any more would seem too cluttered to me. What do others think?

Banned
    I'd just like it to be more apparent which team killed which, rather than simply display hero and player names.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    Since when is X got pwned by Y for Z gold cryptic ? It means Y killed X and got Z gold... nothing astronomical or rocket-sciencey about it.
    The chat box is separate and in the center of the screen, with an included history to see if you missed anything. They are both close together so you can see the action AND read it, unlike a chat on the left (top or bottom), a kill list (with an icon that you must actually guess what weapon it is) to the right (most likely top) and the action going around the center while your distracted from the text all over the place... What exactly is the problem in that ? It's as simple and straight-forward as can be.

P.S. I think you mean command line-based operating systems, not text-based... text-based is just Notepad or Edit (for those of you who lived in the DOS era... ahhhh those were the days when a game wouldn't start without dos4gw.exe in its directory [no such thing as a folder :P])
    I am <100 games in dota 2 and I find it very, very hard to keep track of who killed who in that wall of text. As i've said before, lots of text, lots of strange player names, lots of kill streaks.

2 icons is just 100% straighforward

Basic Member
    If you don't know the heroes' names, you aren't going to know their icons which could be more easily confused.

If you don't know who is on your team (players names), during kills/ buying gem/dust, etc. the hero's name is listed in parenthesis. If you don't immediately know what heroes are on your team, you don't have the right to be suggesting changes to Dota, yet. Once you become more experienced, it'll be more clear.

Also, the colors give it away. Bright, happy colors are radiant. Duller colors are dire.