Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Outdated] Tweak Spectre's dagger phase

Basic Member

[Outdated] Tweak Spectre's dagger phase

Not sure if this is the right section for appealing intended fixes, so please move it if it's not. And don't direct me to playdota since this is a Dota 2 only issue.

So it's an intended fix that Spectre now only gains phase on the path rather than getting a 4 second leeway due to pathing fixes, but there are still problems. See picture attached (not quite sure how to make it show up on the post sorry).

specdagger.jpg

Basically, Spectre threw a dagger through trees which curved around, and since the player had targeted Luna with auto attack, (s)he went off the path and immediately got stuck. I brought this issue up in the past but didn't really have an in game occurrence until now. I myself have had similar problems where if I don't click exactly in a straight line down a shadow path into trees I'd get immediately stuck the moment I step off.

The only things I can think of to remedy this is to bring back the 4 second leeway or make it so that Spectres path down the shadow path when they click on an enemy who is daggered (which doesn't seem very conventional to me). It seems unreasonable to leave things as they are since the reason for removing the 4 second off-path duration was that the dagger pathing was made easier (http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...ll=1#post35417), yet with situations like these there really isn't a difference from clicking very closely along a line in DotA to move through trees or cliffs and having to manually manoeuvre yourself along a thin curve the same way unless you want to be stuck in trees in Dota 2.

Needs to be added to sticky as minor bugfix/annoyance.

Basic Member
    added to sticky then.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Spectre really needs this, he wasn't even picked once in TI2.

Back in dota1 you could throw Dagger in one direction and run the other way for a while, now enemies will just know where you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by chaochenese View Post
    rofl this is so funny that it gets sad

Simple and obvious things that should get fixed/added asap: SCOREBOARD, Ingame friend list, Different Ping for Roshan, Add Notes to Players, Accept Button while tabbed

Quote Originally Posted by Luffydude View Post
    Spectre really needs this, he wasn't even picked once in TI2.
    Back in dota1 you could throw Dagger in one direction and run the other way for a while, now enemies will just know where you are going.
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=6559

Don't bring that topic in here.

There's other ways to remedy this, I think.

1. They can make the dagger travel faster so that heroes don't have as much time to curve, or
    2. They can thicken the dagger trail so that spectre has more leeway in moving sideways on the path.

#1 may not be ideal due to people complaining of balance afterwards. However, I think they did #2 in HoN (not so sure, may be camera distance) but then again no hero ever gets stuck in that game.

Basic Member
    To put it simple the "fix" is a big nerv...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniteX3logy View Post
    However, I think they did #2 in HoN (not so sure, may be camera distance) but then again no hero ever gets stuck in that game.
    I don't know if it has been changed in the time that I've stopped playing HoN, but last I knew he has the 4 second leeway in HoN.

The fancy solution would be to just make a specific extra pathing area for Spectral Dagger. The problem right now is that Spectre simply thinks she has cliffwalking etc. 24/7, not realizing that it's gone as soon as she steps out.
    I know that most game engines aren't very supportive of adding such temporary pathing maps though, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is difficult to achieve.

To be frank I don't see why this change was made to Spectre though as she's rarely seen to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Arxos View Post
    The problem right now is that Spectre simply thinks she has cliffwalking etc. 24/7, not realizing that it's gone as soon as she steps out.
    This is the main problem. Spectre must not perceive areas other than his Spectral Dagger path (and of course the regular pathable terrain) as pathable. The only affect on his perception of pathable terrain must be on his Spectral Dagger path.
    For this instance, he must think that those trees have been cut out of his path, and only those trees that are on his Spectral Dagger path.

Tried to make it as clear as I can with text. Here is the modified picture of OP:

specdagger.jpg

Spectre must think that only the black areas are pathable nothing more, and find himself the shortest way to his target from those black areas.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arxos View Post
    To be frank I don't see why this change was made to Spectre though as she's rarely seen to begin with.
    Well the change has been made cause now it's ultra easy to run through clif/tree. Personnaly as a dota1 spectro player, I don't support this (and find dota2 spectro boring) and hope that latter dev will change mind and change it like it was in dota1 (If it happen, it will certainly take a lot of time)
    Last edited by miambox; 09-14-2012 at 02:08 PM.