Thread: Is ELO Hell real, and would I be better off resetting my account/making a new one?

Basic Member

Is ELO Hell real, and would I be better off resetting my account/making a new one?

I have over 1,600 games played of Dota 2. I am a good player; I'm not pro or anything, but I am a very good and experienced player.

I've been in the Very High bracket for solo queuing since April, but, after an incredible losing streak (14 out of 20 games had actual intentional game ruiners, destroying items, running straight into enemy fountain etc.), I fell into the High skill bracket.

Since then, I've been finding it almost impossible to win.

In most of my games, my opponents have about 500 wins, my teammates have 250 wins, and I have about 800 wins. I know wins don't mean everything, but I have found that they are, for the most part, indicative of skill level (I have observed this over the course of my thousands of games played). Sometimes there are players with 100 wins who are good, and sometimes there are bad players with 900 wins, but usually, the fewer the wins, the less experienced.

Typically, I will do well in my lane, either winning it or going even in it, but very rarely do I feed or straight up lose the lane. However, regardless of how I do in my lane, my teammates always seem to feed in the other lanes. I have tried everything--soloing the hard lane to make life easier for my team, soloing middle, jungling, trilaning, etc--but nothing works.

I'm not just talking about my teammates simply being out-CS'd in a lane. I can deal with that. The problem is that they just die incessantly, and seem to be significantly less talented than my opponents. I can recall 3 games in the past week in which I had a 13 minute battlefury as Antimage, but I lost because the rest of my lanes had over ten deaths combined in those 13 minutes.

For the longest time, I have thought that perhaps these games are my fault, since I am the only common factor. However, I stream my games, and my viewers have all been appalled at my teammates, saying they are worse than the teammates they get in the Normal and even Low Priority brackets. My friends from Very High, with whom I still play, have told me that they have never seen somebody with as bad of luck as I have in getting teammates.

Ever since I dropped into the High bracket, I have found myself with terrible teammates, which causes me to lose more, which causes me to get worse teammates. It's a vicious cycle. I didn't used to believe in ELO Hell, but I'm starting to feel like this is what that phenomenon has been described as.

After talking to my friends and viewers, who have told me that, in their unbiased opinion, these games are not my fault, and I consistently have terrible teammates, I have tried to figure out what is causing me to get such bad players on my team.

I have started thinking that perhaps I have a much higher amount of games played and higher-than-average skill compared to most other players in the High bracket (I have 800 wins), I get matched up with players with below-average skill against players with simply average skill. Instead of me stomping on the average players, what happens is that my below-average teammates get stomped on by the average teammates regularly. Is this a plausible explanation for my problem?

Obviously I am frustrated with my games, but this is not a QQ thread. I simply want to find the root of this problem and a solution to it. All I want is to get back into my Very High bracket, where my teammates were reliable, so I can have good games again. If my theory for why I am getting bad teammates and losing so often is correct, it would perhaps be best for me to get a new account and start over, so that when I make it back into the High bracket, I won't be teamed up consistently with below-average players, and I can hopefully win my way back into Very High.

Does anybody here have any suggestions for how I can remedy this problem? Again, I want to stress that this is NOT a complaint about the matchmaking system. I just want to figure out how to get back into Very High, whether I should create a new account or not to do so. Of course, it would help to know the mechanics behind the matchmaking system, so if anybody understands them, it would be of great assistance to me to know!

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide!

Basic Member
    Erictam gave someone a boost in MMR because the guy though he was in Elo hell. Apparently 20-30 games later he was exactly in the same MMR bracket he was before EricTam moved him.

I would suggest playing a different position. If your losing anyways what is the worst that can happen. I would also suggest not using the High/Very High bracket for anything. They don't effect matchmaking and they're not the reliable for identifying your MMR.

Basic Member
    i love how you can tell how arrogant someone is when they start off a rant post by sucking their own dick

you're probably where you belong, and 'very high' doesn't really mean anything. there's still a huge gap in rating even in the very high bracket.

On topic - best you can do is probably play only with pro friends in full stacks for a while. Once you get enough wins you should be moved to higher bracket.
    In other news - m-m is just broken at the moment, we are all waiting for it to be fixed.

PS BTW, about 1 month ago I experienced quite a similar thing, except I was moved from 'high' to 'normal'. I never considered myself to be a 'pro', but I could notice that the skill level of my teammates just fell drastically at some point. Suddenly I'm the only one who carries dust against invis carries, there are less wards and more clueless actions . Enemies also became weaker, but they were always a bit stronger(probably to compensate for my awesomeness :P). Anyway, that was the time when I said 'screw this all' and at the moment I don't play and wait for m-m to be fixed (or at least for W/L stats to be removed so I'm not so sad about losing ). One may say that I wait for too much - well, I'm not in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    i love how you can tell how arrogant someone is when they start off a rant post by sucking their own dick

you're probably where you belong, and 'very high' doesn't really mean anything. there's still a huge gap in rating even in the very high bracket.
    People always miss the point in such threads... It's not so much about being in wrong skill level, and 'bragging too much about you own skill', it's about the fact that game throws you into uneven matches too often for no good reason.
    Last edited by Hadgehog; 09-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Banned
    new account wont fix russians/brazilians on your team and games vs decent stacks while u play solo just sayin

Basic Member
    That's very good advice, but I have been trying every lane and position possible. When I jungle, my solo sidelane feeds a lot. When I support, the carry can't carry. When I carry, I don't have support. The problem isn't the role I'm playing--it's that my teammates are consistently much less experienced than the enemy team and myself. It's not their fault--everybody starts somewhere, but it makes it difficult for me to win.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetPeople View Post
    new account wont fix russians/brazilians on your team and games vs decent stacks while u play solo just sayin
    This, I shouldn't be getting people who don't speak my language in queues despite what Valve thinks. Right now matchmaking is horrid because I can't even communicate with the players. I only Queue USE USW, but whenever I queue alone either A. Someone who does not speak english on US servers or B. People not from the same skill bracket.

Solution for the Players: Get a team together

Solution for Valve: Make Matchmaking Tolerable for solo players. You can start by not forcing me to play with people who don't speak english for one.