Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [Suggestion] Dota 2 missing call hero preview

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    How do you put a picture for this text:
    Come, let's gank SK when you have Skeleton King and Sand King in the same game ?
    Or es ? Might be Earthshaker or someome mistyped the word yes.

I know your thread is about names, but most use abbreviations instead of names (due to obvious reasons). Simpler example: some mistype names: Mortred, Morta, Mortrad, Morted, Mortad, Mortrod (yes I saw all of these...). Guess which hero THAT is... Rylai or Rilay ? And so on ...

I do like the idea since my first week of dota2 (well, dota in total) I tried CM. I had no idea what a Rylai was. It sounded like a chinese brand of shampoo :P
    I still think the other suggestion (in a LOT of threads) of displaying both name and rank is better though.

(I just hope these suggestions are taken into account by the devs)
    I always refer to Skeleton King as Skelley, to avoid confusion.

Let us summarize and discuss:

• Shift/CTRL-Clicking on any of the opposing heroes (at the top of the screen) will create a chat text: "[Hero Name] [Hero Icon] is missing (Lvl [Level of Hero])"
    • Shift/CTRL-Clicking on any of the friendly heroes will create a chat text: "[Hero Name] [Hero Icon], please join me/us!"
    • New game option to toggle this feature on/off
    • New game option to just toggle showing the hero icon on/off but leaving the text "[Hero Name] is missing ([Level of Hero])"
    • Spam Protection: There needs to be a protection against excessive clicking and generating those messages (may be possible for the same hero just every 30 s?
    • What about more than one hero missing? Wouldn't it be great to hold Shift+CTRL and then clicking up to 5 heroes in succession to have a message generated like this (for 2 heroes): Venomancer [Icon Veno] (Lvl 8) + Antimage [Icon Antimage] (Lvl 10) are missing!

The only drawback I see is not having the option to say on what lane the hero(es) is/are missing.
    Other than that I think it's a quick and easy way to tell your team mates what's going on.
    And the icons will help in grapsing quickly what danger is imposed by a certain miss.

Please excuse my sloppy English and I hope you could understand me.

Basic Member
    +1. But I don't like the fact that the enemy's avatar is showing up in the chat. I would like to have an audio that says missing lane etc. and chat.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaSteaks View Post

• Shift/CTRL-Clicking on any of the opposing heroes (at the top of the screen) will create a chat text: "[Hero Name] [Hero Icon] is missing (Lvl [Level of Hero])"
    • Shift/CTRL-Clicking on any of the friendly heroes will create a chat text: "[Hero Name] [Hero Icon], please join me/us!"
    • New game option to just toggle showing the hero icon on/off but leaving the text "[Hero Name] is missing ([Level of Hero])"
    • Spam Protection: There needs to be a protection against excessive clicking and generating those messages (may be possible for the same hero just every 30 s?
    • What about more than one hero missing? Wouldn't it be great to hold Shift+CTRL and then clicking up to 5 heroes in succession to have a message generated like this (for 2 heroes): Venomancer [Icon Veno] (Lvl 8) + Antimage [Icon Antimage] (Lvl 10) are missing!

The only drawback I see is not having the option to say on what lane the hero(es) is/are missing.
    Other than that I think it's a quick and easy way to tell your team mates what's going on.
    And the icons will help in grapsing quickly what danger is imposed by a certain miss.

Please excuse my sloppy English and I hope you could understand me.
    First of all, this was really easy to read so don't worry.

You are summarizing basically all the useful points on the thread. I have some doubts about the Spam Protection tho, this is kinda necessary but if you wanna announce 2 it's a problem (and with runes it doesn't happen).

The "more than one hero missing" it's a pretty important point, for that case I would use the classic "bot missing" or something, but it could be added to the console (as now you can bind it with bind "key" "say_team message" <-- it works, actually using the arrows to the missing and re) but adding an extra key would be nice

Basic Member
    t-up if you alt-click (or any other key combinations) on the hero icons on top bar and it says:

"Nature's Prophet is missing" or w/e

And there's not really any risk of people spamming it, we already have the item dropped ping and anyone can spam that, but they don't.

Of course griefers can abuse-spam this, but don't think they abuse-spammed item dropped. If possible I'd want a "Nature's Prophet is not missing anymore" sign, like maybe when you click the heroes' icons, they get tinted a bit black (with missing message), and when you press it again it comes back to normal (not missing anymore), but this gives more potential for spamming in my opinion, as the current "things here" ping can only be spammed after the ! sign is off the map.

Either way, I think the 2 fundamental problems are:

a) There isn't an easy way to relate to newer players who Furion, Anubarak and Mortred are.
    b) Typing takes attention away from your mouse and lane, most players just don't use their mics, esp on lower levels.
    Last edited by msquabbles; 09-15-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msquabbles View Post
    t-up if you alt-click (or any other key combinations) on the hero icons on top bar and it says:

"Nature's Prophet is missing" or w/e

And there's not really any risk of people spamming it, we already have the item dropped ping and anyone can spam that, but they don't.

Of course griefers can abuse-spam this, but don't think they abuse-spammed item dropped. If possible I'd want a "Nature's Prophet is not missing anymore" sign, like maybe when you click the heroes' icons, they get tinted a bit black (with missing message), and when you press it again it comes back to normal (not missing anymore), but this gives more potential for spamming in my opinion, as the current "things here" ping can only be spammed after the ! sign is off the map.

Either way, I think the 2 fundamental problems are:

a) There isn't an easy way to relate to newer players who Furion, Anubarak and Mortred are.
    b) Typing takes attention away from your mouse and lane, most players just don't use their mics, esp on lower levels.
    That can be done with another key (f/e ctrl+right click = missing [hero] and ctrl+left click = [hero] is back)

Its a pretty good idea. I'm tired of new players being confused when I use the old names and then telling me "you ddnt call mia noob". It also helps you to know what to expect. Calling mia doesn't help much if people don't check to see which lane it's from (and therefore don't realize that there's a mia pudge waiting to hook them...), so adding a picture will be helpful in this regard too.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaSteaks View Post

+1 for this...
    also, you could make 3 click-combinations so you can tell which lane is missing...
    for example: shift+click on veno's portrait => "veno (veno's portrait) is missing on bot"
    ctrl+click on portrait => "hero (heroes portrait) is missing on top"
    and so on

sry for my bad english :S

Basic Member
    +1 nice idea

Basic Member
    a dropdown menu at picture would help, with missing/re

sk = skeleton king
    sand = sand king
    :P

i wrote a thread about being able to ping items, the interest where low, perhaps becuse the ping i would like most is when i find a gem in enemy inventory. Try tell your team if your muted.

//insanisane