Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: [Suggestion] Dota 2 missing call hero preview

  1. #1
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    234

    [Suggestion] Dota 2 missing call hero preview

    One of the main problems with Dota 2 is the hero terminology, new players wont understand the dota 1 terminology. For example if i said: "Furion is mia", new players wont know who "Furion" is and will be confused, so i came up with an idea based on my inspiration of playing Guild Wars 2. In Guild Wars 2 when you Shift + Click on a item, the item will appear on the all chat and there will be a preview of it if you hover over it, this is very useful in a dungeon when you have an item that isn't for your profession and you want to know if anyone in the party wants it.

    I suggest that when you type in a hero is missing, a hero preview will appear next to the hero name, with the color of the player next to it. Eg. Tinker (PICTURE OF TINKER) is missing!
    This should also apply to the following:
    1. Any UNIQUE acronyms of a hero. eg. PA is Phantom Assassin and only Phantom Assassin. SK can be refered to as Sand King or Skeleton King. eg. "PA is missing" would appear as "PA (PICTURE OF PHANTOM ASSASSIN) is missing". "SK is missing", would not have any picture.
    2. Any hero name or common term that isn't copyright eg. Motred, Rylai, Traxex.
    3. Only apply to the 10 heroes inside the game, so players cant spam random heroes for the lulz.

    So to summaries when a player types in "a hero is missing" a picture of the hero should appear next to the text. This should also include the both the hero name, title, common terms of referring to a hero and acronyms. But this should only apply to the 10 heroes in the game.
    I cant use Photoshop so i tried to get the idea with paint.



    Guild Wars 2 Item Preview:
    Last edited by CowsGoMoo; 09-12-2012 at 12:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Basic Member Direclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Flying around the Misc section
    Posts
    2,946
    The only reason I like your idea is because it make things a little better to be assimilated. Seeing the picture of tinker can make people think faster, same thing with an item picture. It help new players a little but is not that big of a deal. I also like the looks of it, I would like it a little smaller then the one on the screenshot btw.

    +1

  3. #3
    Basic Member knurlhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,688
    This is a good suggestion, but the implementation could be a pain in the ass (for example: Mortred = Phantom Assassin = PA, same for lanaya, furion, neru, etc). For me the easiest implementation would be something like ctrl+right click on the hero (from the clock and hero panel) triggers a "hero's name"+thumbnail+"missing" and same for the "re" or "back" but with other combination (f/e ctrl+left click or alt+right)

  4. #4
    Basic Member MaxBeoulve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ultimyr University
    Posts
    1,104
    Actually this is a old feature used by MMO. Guild Wars 2 wasnt the first to use it, nor it is a good reference, but....
    The suggestion is good. +1. The chat on DotA 2 needs to be further improved, as it is just as plain as a website chit-chat.

    I support the /w [name], it is something I rly miss.

  5. #5
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    377
    I liked it. Anyway, I believe the chat needs a revamp, he is too simple. I like the voice triggers and it could be more useful, like your hero says "top missing" like the bots do. About the hero name, well, it can be trigged with any name/title to the hero. Nature Prophet and Furion should trigger the thumb on chat or anything like that.

  6. #6
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    How do you put a picture for this text:
    Come, let's gank SK when you have Skeleton King and Sand King in the same game ?
    Or es ? Might be Earthshaker or someome mistyped the word yes.

    I know your thread is about names, but most use abbreviations instead of names (due to obvious reasons). Simpler example: some mistype names: Mortred, Morta, Mortrad, Morted, Mortad, Mortrod (yes I saw all of these...). Guess which hero THAT is... Rylai or Rilay ? And so on ...

    I do like the idea since my first week of dota2 (well, dota in total) I tried CM. I had no idea what a Rylai was. It sounded like a chinese brand of shampoo :P
    I still think the other suggestion (in a LOT of threads) of displaying both name and rank is better though.

    (I just hope these suggestions are taken into account by the devs)
    Last edited by The Nomad; 09-10-2012 at 03:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Basic Member knurlhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    How do you put a picture for this text:
    Come, let's gank SK when you have Skeleton King and Sand King in the same game ?
    Or es ? Might be Earthshaker or someome mistyped the word yes.

    I know your thread is about names, but most use abbreviations instead of names (due to obvious reasons). Simpler example: some mistype names: Mortred, Morta, Mortrad, Morted, Mortad, Mortrod (yes I saw all of these...). Guess which hero THAT is... Rylai or Rilay ? And so on ...

    I do like the idea since my first week of dota2 (well, dota in total) I tried CM. I had no idea what a Rylai was. It sounded like a chinese brand of shampoo :P
    I still think the other suggestion (in a LOT of threads) of displaying both name and rank is better though.

    (I just hope these suggestions are taken into account by the devs)
    as i just wrote, u can simply assign a key combo to trigger the say team command (f/e ctrl+right click on NP on the hero panels at the side of the clock) would trigger a "Nature's Prophet Missing" with or without photo, it's simpler and you avoid the chat messing up.

    The fact is, they can't display both (name and rank, because they have race and name issues with blizzard, that's why we have no furion or rylai or lanaya or mortred) so, even if that's a good idea, it can't be done right now (and maybe just can't)

  8. #8
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    How do you put a picture for this text:
    Come, let's gank SK when you have Skeleton King and Sand King in the same game ?
    Or es ? Might be Earthshaker or someome mistyped the word yes.

    I know your thread is about names, but most use abbreviations instead of names (due to obvious reasons). Simpler example: some mistype names: Mortred, Morta, Mortrad, Morted, Mortad, Mortrod (yes I saw all of these...). Guess which hero THAT is... Rylai or Rilay ? And so on ...

    I do like the idea since my first week of dota2 (well, dota in total) I tried CM. I had no idea what a Rylai was. It sounded like a chinese brand of shampoo :P
    I still think the other suggestion (in a LOT of threads) of displaying both name and rank is better though.

    (I just hope these suggestions are taken into account by the devs)
    I though of that and the picture preview should apply to any unique acroynm or other common names for the hero, as long as there is mia or missing or ss in the sentence. For example if i type: "Motred missing" It should display, "Motred (PICTURE OF PHANTOM ASSASSIN)" missing, but if i type "SS is missing" no picture preview should appear as there is 3 SS, Shadow Shaman, Storm Spirit and some other guy i cant remember.
    My suggestions:
    Make the Swap Box smaller http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=50922
    Dota 2 Missing Call Hero Preview (Better for new players) http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=54194

  9. #9
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by knurlhelm View Post
    as i just wrote, u can simply assign a key combo to trigger the say team command (f/e ctrl+right click on NP on the hero panels at the side of the clock) would trigger a "Nature's Prophet Missing" with or without photo, it's simpler and you avoid the chat messing up.
    Portrait clicks + key combo actually sounds like a great idea +100 for this one

    Quote Originally Posted by knurlhelm
    The fact is, they can't display both (name and rank, because they have race and name issues with blizzard, that's why we have no furion or rylai or lanaya or mortred) so, even if that's a good idea, it can't be done right now (and maybe just can't)
    With the risk of you facepalming, since I never played D1, I'll ask: weren't the D1 hero names made up by the dota team ? (and dota wasn't Blizz property)

  10. #10
    Basic Member knurlhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    Portrait clicks + key combo actually sounds like a great idea +100 for this one


    With the risk of you facepalming, since I never played D1, I'll ask: weren't the D1 hero names made up by the dota team ? (and dota wasn't Blizz property)
    Don't worry man, I've played Dota (1 and 2) for years and I still don't know a lot of stuff about the game (f/e I forgot power class interactions with bkb).

    But answering your question: nope, SOME of the names were from Blizzard characters or Blizzard races (Nerubian Assassin in DotA 1 is Nyx Assassin in DotA 2 because Nerubian is a Blizzard race and they did a copyright claim) so it can't be done, the simpler thing would be change the names, but we keep naming those as furion, lanaya, mortred, rilay (or rylai, i honestly don't remember) so it wouldn't make a difference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •