Thread: [Intended?] Hooking airborne units

Basic Member

[Intended?] Hooking airborne units

I am very certain that units that are in the air (e.g. telekinesis) can not be hooked in wc3 dota (i messed up quite a few hooks for my allies that way).
    i also know that in the current dota 2 version telekinesis'd units are hookable.
    the latest "fails of the week" episode also features a hook on a tossed wildekin.

it would be nice to check whether all those spells are actually on parity with wc3 dota.
    list of spells:
    - telekinesis
    - toss
    - torrent
    - impales ?
    (- cyclone) <- those actually are hookable in wc3 dota and dota 2 but in dota 2 the cyclone gets cancelled
    Last edited by blash365; 09-19-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    I am very certain that units that are in the air (e.g. telekinesis) can not be hooked in wc3 dota (i messed up quite a few hooks for my allies that way).
    i also know that in the current dota 2 version telekinesis'd units are hookable.
    the latest "fails of the week" episode also features a hook on a tossed wildekin.

it would be nice to check whether all those spells are actually on parity with wc3 dota.
    Ah that toss hook was awesome. Love dota cinema

Eww installing dota 1 again to check... After work... Maybe...

Basic Member
    Hook works on airborne units in dota 1, it just has to be aimed at the point below the unit on the ground, not the unit itself as it only checks x and y co-ordinates. So it may not visually touch the unit yet hook it (and it may also visually pass through the unit yet not actually hook it).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crinckle View Post
    Hook works on airborne units in dota 1, it just has to be aimed at the point below the unit on the ground, not the unit itself as it only checks x and y co-ordinates. So it may not visually touch the unit yet hook it (and it may also visually pass through the unit yet not actually hook it).
    i'd like you to post me a screenshot of hooking a unit lifted by telekinesis in wc3 dota.
    good luck.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Basic Member
    Just tested on the testmap. You can hook units airborne, but the results vary a bit... tested with telekinesis/hook ... trying to get a video uploaded

edit:
    426 minutes remaining. ... nevermind
    edit2:
    nimetön.png
    should explain that you can hook units lifted. It is still a ground unit even if its airborne.
    Last edited by peterii; 09-21-2012 at 03:44 AM.

peterii if you are trying to upload a video you have to use compression. Xvid or something like that. My Raw videos are 5GB, I compress with xvid and its 20mb. A simple program like VirtualDub can compress videos quick and easy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarOG View Post
    peterii if you are trying to upload a video you have to use compression. Xvid or something like that. My Raw videos are 5GB, I compress with xvid and its 20mb. A simple program like VirtualDub can compress videos quick and easy.
    Nah, its my ISP.. got no upload bandwith at all for some reason. Compressing isn't that hard.

^ As you said, you can hook them but the outcome is a little odd.
    If you hook them when they are in air then the target will fall at the position telekinesis was targeted.
    And if you hook while the unit is falling then the target will be hooked successfully.

It's the same case with toss and hook, the target will land based on which spell was initiated first. If hook was initiated first then the target will land at pudge and if toss was initiated first then the unit will be tossed.
    Same here if "telekinesis land" was processed first then the target will land. But if he gets hooked after "telekinesis land" processes then the target will get hooked, that's the way things work in dota1.
    Before posting a bug read the Bug posting guidelines first and check the Known Bugs list For existing bugs.

Use the report () button when you need help from a Moderator.

Basic Member
    ok, apparently you guys were right.
    i always thought the hook would pass below the lifted unit.
    gonna add this as an intended fix then.

what about forcestaff?
    does it cancel the lift?
    what about other repositioning spells?

Basic Member
    The way it works in Dota 2 is basically just that the last initiated movement effect takes priority, and the former one is completely cancelled. This holds true for almost all cases, I believe Hook is the only one which isn't quite as easy to override.

I'll see if I can make a thorough list of all these interactions in DotA 2 at some point.
    Last edited by Arxos; 09-21-2012 at 01:39 PM.