Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 275

Thread: [Request] Make First Blood/ Killing Streak announcement optional

  1. #11
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    222
    Youre completely missing the point. Comparing it to the chat function if completely retarded because, if you didnt notice, its always there and it in the corner, not in the center of the screen.

    But hey as I said, you wont be able to bring up a single decent argument against an option to disable it.

    Plus I dont really see a point in not making the games "UI" and "effects", as in chat messages, look as much as the original. If I liked DotA why shouldnt the developer give me the option to keep it? You dont even get the difference between useful information being shown oridnary and flashy. Maybe some people dont like everything being flashy, so why would you not want them to have their way? Because they dont like what you like?

    The way people argue in here is really pathetic to begin with to be honest. AN OPTION DOESNT EVEN AFFECT YOU AT ALL IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE FEATURE, so why in the blue hell would you be against it in the first place? It literally make no sense.
    Last edited by nysd; 09-19-2012 at 09:04 PM.

  2. #12
    Basic Member ThoAppelsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,893
    You cannot make everything optional.

    There was someone who was getting annoyed by the "Holy shit!" announcement for the 10th streak. His argument was applicable. But hey, everyone just flamed at him.

    Can you provide a single reasonable argument to make this brilliant improvement optional? It only has brought the bottom left chat informations on top in the middle. Plus the way it shows things combines the streaks with the double-, triple-, ultra kills and the rampage.
    It is a decent work and I wouldn't like to see it being able to disabled.

  3. #13
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,262
    +1, it should be optional.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post
    You cannot make everything optional.

    There was someone who was getting annoyed by the "Holy shit!" announcement for the 10th streak. His argument was applicable. But hey, everyone just flamed at him.

    Can you provide a single reasonable argument to make this brilliant improvement optional? It only has brought the bottom left chat informations on top in the middle. Plus the way it shows things combines the streaks with the double-, triple-, ultra kills and the rampage.
    It is a decent work and I wouldn't like to see it being able to disabled.
    It's in the middle of the screen rather than off to the left. It's more distracting. Plus if I want to check back a bit and see who just got a kill streak/multi kill, I can see that instead of having it disappear quickly.

    There's also this thing called personal preference. You can't argue against that unless one option is completely and objectively inferior.

  4. #14
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    222
    Something as unimportant as a killing spree is fine by being simply being mentioned in the bottom left of your screen AND the announcer. On top of that you see people being dead so you know that they got killed.

    There is no point in making noticable that much, it only distracts you from actually playing the game.

    The way you argue is just utterly pathetic because its not even arguing. Especially stuff concerning the UI is stuff that could all be optional. Why being against it if it doesnt affect you at all? Minimap is optional, fuck yea why not that doesnt mean you have to freaking deactivate it. OPTIONS have no influence on you if you dont want to use them.

    You like the feature, I hate it. Alot of people like it, but I have seen quite some who dont already aswell. So why tell the people who dont like it to just accept it if it takes pretty much no effort to make it optional so the people who dont like it can DEACTIVATE IT and the people who like it can keep it?

    Your only point it "LEL AWSUM FIETURE I LIK IT HEHEHHEHEE Y U MAD LOL YOU DUN LIK? JUST AZEBT IT HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH"

    That sums up you as a person in this thread. The fact that an OPTION doesnt hurt anyone is argument enough, I dont even need to start on it being redundant because it already shows all over the screen that someone died and it being a nice move by Valve if they let the DotA players, the people they pretty much made this game for to some extend, keep the way announcements are shown.

    Long story short
    1. redudant feature - it shows all over the UI that someone got killed already
    2. an option doesnt hurt anyone
    3. distracting to some extend because its not in a corner anymore but in the center/top of your screen


    while your only argument being
    1. I LIK IT Y MAK IT OPTIONAL? I DUN LIK OTHA PEOPLE GETTIN THAR WAI
    Last edited by nysd; 09-19-2012 at 09:22 PM.

  5. #15
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10
    this takes away the fun or the reward of killing consecutively, as well as encourages the opposing team to take that streak away from that hero. "kill that hero", will result in a more passive game imo.

    this is one of the foundations why dota will never die out, because of this subtleties, once you begin taking these elements out (or optional), you're in trouble.

  6. #16
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by .mac. View Post
    this takes away the fun or the reward of killing consecutively, as well as encourages the opposing team to take that streak away from that hero. "kill that hero", will result in a more passive game imo.

    this is one of the foundations why dota will never die out, because of this subtleties, once you begin taking these elements out (or optional), you're in trouble.
    What on earth are you talking about?. . .

    You argued sort-of consistent points, and then drew a conclusion seemingly unrelated to your argument.

  7. #17
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by .mac. View Post
    this takes away the fun or the reward of killing consecutively, as well as encourages the opposing team to take that streak away from that hero. "kill that hero", will result in a more passive game imo.

    this is one of the foundations why dota will never die out, because of this subtleties, once you begin taking these elements out (or optional), you're in trouble.
    The thing is that alot of people seem to think pretty positive about the feature so I highly doubt Valve will remove it completely.

    I would rather want them to, but I dont have a problem with them keeping it aslong as they give "old players", of whom I am pretty sure alot will dislike this feature, the option to hide it. That way everyone should be happy.

  8. #18
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    The thing is that alot of people seem to think pretty positive about the feature so I highly doubt Valve will remove it completely.

    I would rather want them to, but I dont have a problem with them keeping it aslong as they give "old players", of whom I am pretty sure alot will dislike this feature, the option to hide it. That way everyone should be happy.
    You seem to understand him, what was he arguing?

    I got:

    1. The new toast takes away from the fun of killing sprees. (By celebrating them)
    2. The new toasts encourage the opposing team to focus in on a hero that is on a spree more-so than the old, stripped-down notification.
    2b. This will result in a more passive game.
    3. Killing sprees being fun are a foundation upon which Dota was built, and is a reason it will never die.
    3b. Thus, removing the new toast or making it optional will ruin the game.

    1 contradicts 3b
    2 argues against toasts, and concludes 2b
    3 argues in favor of toasts, and concludes 3b
    2 & 2b contradict 3 & 3b
    Last edited by Meister; 09-19-2012 at 09:47 PM.

  9. #19
    Basic Member Irrelevante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,061
    While I can agree people advocating for this new feature aren't exactly putting a spectacular job at stating their points, they do have some.

    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    The question I ask myself why it would be very low priority. Its probably a work of seconds.
    No, it isn't a work of seconds. It's designing more check options and finding a place for them in the UI, not to mention coding the string that manages said option. Also, game designing 101: Too many options are terrible. Advanced users already know how to customize their clients so they don't bother to use the in-game options, casual users just feel overwhelmed to even tamper with them. Valve does need to gauge wether an option for this is worth development time.

    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    I am pretty positive that theres a simple console command for deactivating it, which is what they could give the players. Even adding an option to the interface wouldnt take long. You dont need to write code, you just change the part of the code that controlls this announcement from "=1" to "=0".
    Depends if this new feature has entirely different strings not related to the already existing spree strings. If they're related (likely), then voila, that's more development time to spend on bringing said option to the public client.

    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    Nor do I understand why you should give it time. You either like the feature or you dont. Just because you got used to something doesnt mean you suddenly like it. I for example still find the UI extremely ugly, but I've accepted it. You probably wont quit a game over a small thing like this, but if alot of them add up you might. I am just saying that there isnt a single argument for not adding an option like this.
    You not agreeing with the UI is fine, but I certainly don't see a player quitting over visual effects. If you're hinting that many players will leave (and, as such, Valve should take heed) due to accumulated visual nuances then, wow. What a conspiracy theory. Besides, it's not like Valve can please every other taste of every other player so it's not like they can minimize this alleged damage to their user count with different cosmetics.

    Even if they do offer different UIs/options to choose from, it's still very low priority. The likelyhood of players quitting the game over visual nuances is pretty non-existant.

    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    At least noone here has provided one yet and I cant see you ever doing.
    Wrong.
    Last edited by Irrelevante; 09-19-2012 at 09:49 PM.

  10. #20
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,381
    How is it possible that a line of text is bothering you?

    Aside from that, it would be fair to give people the chance to edit the position and size (or the presence) of text announcements as they please.

    That said, this is way low priority stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •