Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 275

Thread: [Request] Make First Blood/ Killing Streak announcement optional

  1. #21
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,917
    i like it, but disable option for "many" people is not bad i guess

  2. #22
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    37
    As ThoAppesin said, you can't make everything optional.

    I understand your preference and your frustration at the forumers lacking an argument, so here's one. Some people didn't like the new Enchantress face, while others did. Some people didn't like the new ingame background music, while others did. Some people wanted the main menu music to loop, while others didn't. Insert another 100 features the community has divided opinions about. Now is adding options for every single feature the best way to solve the problem? I'd say no, since the options panel would be crowded with the most trivial settings, and Dota would have become a tweaking burden instead of a game.

    That's not to say I dislike your suggestion; I haven't had time to test out the new animation yet. But anyway, I think the chances of Valve implementing an option for this is slim, since it's pretty easy to get used to this feature (from the screenshots I have seen etc), even if you hate it. It doesn't affect the game significantly enough.

  3. #23
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    While I can agree
    .
    .
    .
    Wrong.
    And you stil havent provided any argument for denying an option that doesnt hurt anyone. You dont know whether is hard to code, youre just assuming it. So am I, so both of us cant be certain.

    Btw really? You need to find a place for them in the UI? You go into options and add it under "Autoattack On/Off" for example, voila. Iam pretty sure that doesnt take a developer too long.

    You mentioned that too many options overwhelm people. Thats why I asked for the console command in the OP. I dont even want them to implement a feature like that if they just give the command that makes it possible for you to disable it to the community.


    @Meister I rather think he meant that he didnt like the feature because in DotA the normally didnt show you killing sprees THAT much. Now it pops right into your face and the motivation of the enemy team to kill you migh increase. Small things like this, the game being rather passive SHOWING you stuff, made DotA what it is today and even an option like this wouldnt be a good idea. At least thats how I understood it, could be completely wrong though.
    Last edited by nysd; 09-19-2012 at 10:00 PM.

  4. #24
    Basic Member Irrelevante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    And you stil havent provided any argument for denying an option that doesnt hurt anyone. You dont know whether is hard to code, youre just assuming it. So am I, so both of us cant be certain.
    This isn't a completely reworked heropedia. The likelyhood of the new spree strings being structured from the old ones is high.

    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    Btw really? You need to find a place for them in the UI? You go into options and add it under "Autoattack On/Off" for example, voila. Iam pretty sure that doesnt take a developer too long.
    What? You think devs just open up the dev client, type "Killing Spree Animations" on notepad, drag n drop the text to the client and then magic happens?

    It. Takes. Time.

    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    @Meister I rather think he meant that he didnt like the feature because in DotA the normally didnt show you killing sprees THAT much. Now it pops right into your face and the motivation of the enemy team to kill you migh increase. Small things like this, the game being rather passive SHOWING you stuff, made DotA what it is today and even an option like this wouldnt be a good idea. At least thats how I understood it, could be completely wrong though.
    And we can just as well say that the client celebrating sprees (there was no need for the announcer, even back in Dota 1) is what made Dota popular. Door swings both ways, brah.

  5. #25
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyverald View Post
    As ThoAppesin said, you can't make everything optional.

    I understand your preference and your frustration at the forumers lacking an argument, so here's one. Some people didn't like the new Enchantress face, while others did. Some people didn't like the new ingame background music, while others did. Some people wanted the main menu music to loop, while others didn't. Insert another 100 features the community has divided opinions about. Now is adding options for every single feature the best way to solve the problem? I'd say no, since the options panel would be crowded with the most trivial settings, and Dota would have become a tweaking burden instead of a game.

    That's not to say I dislike your suggestion; I haven't had time to test out the new animation yet. But anyway, I think the chances of Valve implementing an option for this is slim, since it's pretty easy to get used to this feature (from the screenshots I have seen etc), even if you hate it. It doesn't affect the game significantly enough.
    Youre comparing apples and oranges here.

    A graphical change, or a sound fix is completely different from what this is about. Its something that elementary changes the appearance of killing sprees in the game, something that has been like this for years now and is accepted through out the community. The face of Enchantress looking different will not distract you from the game, a text showing tripple kill in the middle of your screen while being in a fight might do.

    None of the things you mentioned influence you ingame, therefore they are minor. While this has the potential to distract you.


    @Irrelevante So what youre saying with your last sentence is that you could assume this feature will make the game even more popular? Well I wont doubt that, maybe it really does, still doesnt mean you should force people to use it now should you? Isnt DotA2 supposed to be a better and "even more supported" version of the original Defense of the Ancients? I dont see a reason for not giving options because no, I am not assuming that they open notepad and add the feature by doing so, I am using common sense here and therefore THINK that it shouldnt be that complicated to do if you know your product, which is what most of the developers probably do.

    You assume they completely rewrote everything and it cant be done quickly, I assume its a matter of seconds/minutes. As long as there hasnt been a dev replying we will never know whos right.

    And again I'll mention that I would be fine with a console command, I dont need it to be implemented into the UI.

  6. #26
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,262
    This isn't really a complicated option to add. Make it so that it's not lumped in with dota_sf_hud_chat and then we can just disable it with 1 command.

  7. #27
    Basic Member St4rbl1nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    28
    Everything that valve does, someone came here to request to disable the feature.
    sometimes i agree, but most times I disagree.
    This feature is funny and clear enough to stay as it is, Valve can't make a disable/enable option for everything they implement...
    -1

  8. #28
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by St4rbl1nd View Post
    This feature is funny and clear enough to stay as it is
    Brilliant argument. This is my opinion, yours is invalid.

    What I would like to here is when Valve changed something that common in the game before. I cant remember ever, so you dont even have a situation to compare this one to.

    UI changes? Well the WC3 UI was different so yea obviously UI will get changed and thats pretty much about it. Stuff like textures, models, sounds etc are a completely different thing because, except for the sounds which you CAN TURN OFF, nothing has the potential to distract you. You can even deactivate the picture of your hero moving and the game not having small animals all over the map. Of course that has performance reasons, but to be fair those things were quite distracting in the beginning and maybe that was a reason that feature was added to the game in the first place.

    With this change they reworked the way sprees were shown for the last years, and I dont see a reason for not adding an option to set it back to normal. Because this change they just made actually MIGHT affect people ingame.

    Besides, theres something I havent mentioned yet. The DotA2 UI is pretty bulky to begin with, and I remember alot of people back in 2011 requesting to add an option so you can zoom out more. There is alot of stuff on your screen, and the field of vision you have is actually pretty small already. Everything that pops up on your screen on top of that will take a way a bit of the vision you have left and thats not the way to go if you ask me.
    Last edited by nysd; 09-19-2012 at 10:35 PM.

  9. #29
    Basic Member MaxBeoulve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ultimyr University
    Posts
    1,104
    No. Simply as that. Don't try to change the essence of dota.
    BTW, the OP seems to be quite mad about others having opposite opinion.

  10. #30
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    Youre comparing apples and oranges here.

    A graphical change, or a sound fix is completely different from what this is about. Its something that elementary changes the appearance of killing sprees in the game, something that has been like this for years now and is accepted through out the community. The face of Enchantress looking different will not distract you from the game, a text showing tripple kill in the middle of your screen while being in a fight might do.

    None of the things you mentioned influence you ingame, therefore they are minor. While this has the potential to distract you.
    The animation might affect you a lot, but for many others, it could have no more impact than the change of Enchantress' face. This is hardly "apples and oranges", which is about different concepts; it's more about the degree of influence, which, again, could vary for different people.

    Quote Originally Posted by nysd View Post
    And again I'll mention that I would be fine with a console command, I dont need it to be implemented into the UI.
    I think that would be the most reasonable thing to do. I just really don't see an option added for this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •