Thread: Dota 2 and SSAA(Super-sampling Anti-aliasing)

Dota 2 and SSAA(Super-sampling Anti-aliasing)

Hoping a developer will read this because it's probably just a small bugfix which bugs me since i have got my 7950.

SSAA is basically an option which renders the current "image" multiple times and puts them together. It improves the Image quality drastically.
    Detailed explanation:
    Super-sampling Anti-aliasing

This is the type of AA that creates the best image quality. It is “pure” AA with no compromises. All the other AA technologies exist because SSAA is very slow.

SSAA works by first calculating more pixels than what the resolution is on the screen, and then averaging those pixels to determine the colors of the actual pixels on the screen. The ratio of calculated pixels to displayed pixels is often described by a number put before the acronym. For instance, 8xSSAA describes that each pixel on screen will be the avarage of 8 calculated pixels.

SSAA is slow because the pixel rendering stage of the rendering pipeline must do the same amount of work as if the screen resolution was many times the resolution of what it is. For instance, with a resolution of 1920x1080 and 8xSSAA, the hardware must calculate the same amount of pixels as if the resolution was 7680x2160.

The problem is that I can't enable SSAA in Dota 2 which I could in all the other games based on the Source engine. It worked in Half Life 2, Counterstrike Source and Portal 2 only Dota 2 seems like it doesn't support SSAA (yet).
    I don't know much about programming but since it worked in the other Source engine games I thought ofcourse, it will work in dota 2. But it doesnt.
    This game is still in the beta so maybe it's already considered to implent SSAA. If not, I hopefully pointed it out with this thread.

An example from Half Life 2 (bot NOAA; top SSAA): tzatsdahz.jpg
    Last edited by bloodymight2; 09-21-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Hi,

Have a look on that: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=37556&

btw: i cant turn it on also - i tried both: pure (post#1) as also with sweetfx mod (post #24)

greetings

p.s.
    let me know your results pls

Dota 2 uses deferred shading. The other Valve games don't use it I think. So my guess would be this is the reason why your hardware AA does not work.
    Oh well, not that it matters to me, won't use AA anyway. I also like the second picture in your comparison more, since it is more crisp (the fence being an exception, this is the place where AA shines)
    Last edited by mindfaQ; 09-29-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7

Even professional rendering software that makes the most realistic CG movies you've ever seen does not use SSAA, simply because it's a waste of resources for something that can be done just as well with other methods, like adaptive anti-aliasing. SSAA is not the future. Aliasing only occurs on hard edges and the side of geometry that is in front of other geo in the scene. So you want a solution that targets the problem directly. Most anti-aliasing methods work the same way as SSAA, but they merely try and detect the edges and only apply sub-pixel rendering to those areas, instead of the whole screen; but the problem is, most of the systems havn't been very good. But most of the newer ones are quite good and take a lot less performance hit, especially TXAA and SMAA which can smaple over time and give very professional looking results at little cost.

Textures are naturally anti-aliased by how they are draw on the geometry by the GPU, the only issue being textures at sharp angles, which is solved by AF (anisotropic filtering).
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

there is another topic with a bit difrent graphic corrections : http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=40677&
    Last edited by Kraju; 09-29-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: i missunderstood

Quote Originally Posted by bloodymight2 View Post
    Hoping a developer will read this because it's probably just a small bugfix which bugs me since i have got my 7950.

SSAA is basically an option which renders the current "image" multiple times and puts them together. It improves the Image quality drastically.
    Detailed explanation:

The problem is that I can't enable SSAA in Dota 2 which I could in all the other games based on the Source engine. It worked in Half Life 2, Counterstrike Source and Portal 2 only Dota 2 seems like it doesn't support SSAA (yet).
    I don't know much about programming but since it worked in the other Source engine games I thought ofcourse, it will work in dota 2. But it doesnt.
    This game is still in the beta so maybe it's already considered to implent SSAA. If not, I hopefully pointed it out with this thread.

An example from Half Life 2 (bot NOAA; top SSAA): tzatsdahz.jpg

Hi all! I registered on the forum just to answer you, and I apologize for the spelling because I'm French and it's the google translation. I find how to enable SSAA on dota2! Indeed flag compactibility Valve games do not work, so I tried that of STALKER And magic, it works! Voila, this thread is a bit old, I hope you see this message and this helps you! bye!

Basic Member
    I don't understand why the render scale option doesn't go above 100, like in Battlefield 4. It's really easy to downsample this game through the engine itself if Valve made a minor change.

Are there any nvidia profiles up there to inject sgsaa x4 or hbao? Havent found any in the interwebz.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamusCR1 View Post
    Are there any nvidia profiles up there to inject sgsaa x4 or hbao? Havent found any in the interwebz.
    Quote Originally Posted by superslash34 View Post
    Hi all! I registered on the forum just to answer you, and I apologize for the spelling because I'm French and it's the google translation. I find how to enable SSAA on dota2! Indeed flag compactibility Valve games do not work, so I tried that of STALKER And magic, it works! Voila, this thread is a bit old, I hope you see this message and this helps you! bye!
    Haven't tried the "STALKER And magic" profile yet to see if it works and actually applies the hardware AA. Also in case you didn't know, SSAA and SGSSAA is basically the same thing except SGSSAA is like specific SSAA in terms of what chunks of the screen's grid the AA is being applied to. 1x2 SGSSAA applies SSAA twice as much on the horizontal pixels than for vertical (I might have it reversed here and it could possibly be x2 vertical than horizontal).

IMHO && IME downsampling from 3840x2160 ==> 1920x1080 + SMAA_ULTRA (via SweetFX) is probably higher IQ than the equivalent of SGSSAA/SSAA with better performance.

Sorry for the necro, but it had to be said

I want Super Sampling. Because I'm stuck using a 1080p projector, and it's 2017, so where is it?