Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let Koreans type Korean in dota 2

Banned
    koreans are the best at microing. I'd gladly take one over a russian any day

Banned
    you're right but when it comes to communication its a pain in the ass.

Basic Member
    But that's weird, I can type japanese in game too

Unless the font system is different from the korean text...

Basic Member
    For what it's worth, I can type Japanese in game perfectly, my IME (Google's) functions exactly as it does in Windows.

This is possibly a dumb question, I imagine you know how to use your Korean IME if you have it all. But: Are you sure you that in game you're actually using your Korean IME? Switch to Windowed Mode and see what it shows in the language bar. Perhaps you accidentally hit a key combination that switched it back to US Keyboard Layout? Or maybe you are using it, just not in the Hangul input mode?

Quote Originally Posted by shrv View Post
    For what it's worth, I can type Japanese in game perfectly, my IME (Google's) functions exactly as it does in Windows.

This is possibly a dumb question, I imagine you know how to use your Korean IME if you have it all. But: Are you sure you that in game you're actually using your Korean IME? Switch to Windowed Mode and see what it shows in the language bar. Perhaps you accidentally hit a key combination that switched it back to US Keyboard Layout? Or maybe you are using it, just not in the Hangul input mode?
    This is exactly right - when I'm in the game, the window defaults to the US Keyboard Layout... but unlike other programs I'm not at any point (console, chat window, picking phase chat window, etc) given the ability to change it. It's locked/frozen somehow (grayed out and not-clickable/changeable by the usual Alt+Shift).

Basic Member
    Bump!
    This issue still has not fixed even with Korean Microsoft IME keyboard selected (According to #7 reply made by Jonathan, a Valve Dev, on this thread, who said it works). For further information, most Korean Windows (Windows Vista or higher) come with 'Microsoft 입력기' (which would be Microsoft IME in English) set as a default IME, not Microsoft IME 2010 (which I think is what Jonathan is suggesting use), but either way it does not work.

The bottom-line is Korean partially works at current stage:

1. In lobby, Korean will sometime work and sometime not. When Korean does not work, we resolve it by switching tabs. (Eg: Switching from Play Tab to Watch Tab, or Switching Server tab in Chat Panel). Even when Korean does work, by switching tabs, or by alt tabbing out the Dota and going back to lobby screen sometimes makes Korean to not work. When this happens, we follow same procedures to get Korean back.
    2. In Game, Korean will not work, unless open a shop panel (where the suggested item pops up) and click the textfield for searching items, and try switching to Korean by pressing Alt key or Korean/English Key (Many Korean keyboards have a extra key right next to right alt key. ASCII code for this key is 0x15 or Virtual Key VK_HANGUL or Scancode 0xF2). Once that is done, while the shop panel is open, it is possible to type Korean in in-game chat as well. However, once the shop panel is closed, the same procedure has to be done to type Korean.
    3. The in-game Steam Chat (by pressing shift+tab) does not support Korean at all. The only way to type Korean in Steam Chat is to tab out of the game, and use the "Friend" Menu in Steam Launcher.

Below are the Screenshots: (The Game Version in the Screenshot is old, because I just used screenshots from Google Image Search. However the issue still exists in the Current Version)
    InGame.jpg
    lobby.jpg
    Last edited by darkencraft; 04-03-2013 at 11:46 PM.