Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Backswing & Movement Commands

Basic Member
    ya it is a big deal i like to see it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by hoh0 View Post
    Updated with google spreadsheet comparison in main post. Or here
    Wow... That's a detailed work.
    May I ask, what does it mean when there are two entries under "Cancellable During"; one "Yes" and the other one "No"?

Basic Member
    Could be worth merging with my thread about backswing animations being all incorrect. Maybe they are related.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post
    Wow... That's a detailed work.
    May I ask, what does it mean when there are two entries under "Cancellable During"; one "Yes" and the other one "No"?
    Oops, I missed a line, its supposed to have another line saying CS (cast animation) and BS (backswing). Fixed now.

What distinguishes the animations between Casting Animation and Backswing in your terms...

Basic Member
    Casting animation is the animation before the spell effect happens. Backswing is the "leftover" animation after the spell happens.
    Note that "spell effect happens" for projectile based spells means the RELEASE of the projectile, not the IMPACT (think sniper assassinate)

Below are some pictures to illustrate what usually happens when a spell is cast. By "moment of cast" I mean when the hero starts casting (not when the hero is moving towards the target area/unit to cast)

Note: in Dota 2 CW's stampede is instant without interrupting any movement commands in progress prior to cast

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanics View Post
    Could be worth merging with my thread about backswing animations being all incorrect. Maybe they are related.
    Links in the respective OP's should be enough, better avoid clutter.

GJ btw, some of you guys, including OP, are pretty awesome at this.

Okay, as far as I know,
    Casting Animation = Casting Frontswing (From the point zero till the Casting Point) + Casting Backswing (From the point of Casting Point till the whole animation ends)
    So you basically mean the Casting Point/Frontswing in the terms that I know.

What do you mean by "Cancellable During CA" then? Do you mean,
    you can cancel it but the spell takes its effects; or do you mean that
    you can cancel it, and cancel it as a whole?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post
    Okay, as far as I know,
    Casting Animation = Casting Frontswing (From the point zero till the Casting Point) + Casting Backswing (From the point of Casting Point till the whole animation ends)
    So you basically mean the Casting Point/Frontswing in the terms that I know.

What do you mean by "Cancellable During CA" then? Do you mean,
    you can cancel it but the spell takes its effects; or do you mean that
    you can cancel it, and cancel it as a whole?
    Yes, when I write cast animation I meant cast frontswing.

By "cancellable during", I meant whether the backswing is cancellable during either the frontswing or the backswing (with right click movement command). By backswing cancelled, I mean the spell will still take effect, only the backswing is cancelled.

Actually come to think of it, I don't recall any spell's backswing animation that can be cancelled during the cast instead of during the backswing, unless the spell doesn't actually have a backswing.

For most spells, if you press S during the cast time to override the cast, you will stop casting it. For example, stopping Hoof Stomp or Thunder Clap when you know it is going to miss. Right click movement commands will not override the cast animation but instead queue it.

However there are some spells in wc3 that are hard to cancel, like Pudge's Meat Hook, and ES' fissure (many many versions ago) because you lose control of your hero some time during the cast and regain control only after the spell is cast.

Another special case is Sand King's Burrowstrike in wc3. SK has no cast time, but you cannot cancel the backswing because you lose control of your hero as the backswing animation is playing out. In Dota 2 the skill is coded to work the same way, at least from what I can tell.

I have skimmed through every spell's 3rd entry, the Cancellable During CA parts. Almost all of them are NO, with only 2 exceptions: Acid Spray and Unstable Concoction Start.
    Yet, I cannot interrupt the Casting Frontswing of both with simple movement commands on W3 DotA. On the other hand, HoldPosition and Stop commands do interrupt the Casting Frontswing, but this applies for every spell that has a Casting Frontswing.

Also, the Unstable Concoction Start is impossible to interrupt, at least I can't, so I think it has no frontswing at all...

Burrowstrike on W3 DotA also seems to remove queued orders, which means it does not allow the queuing of Epicenter. Hmm, I didn't know this, because the only thing I was using the shift-queue for was to give queued item dropping/picking orders for the items I had on the Circle of Power, to save time and don't get annoyed with that struggle :D