Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The shop needs work

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffeeh View Post
    Yea, lets go back to the stone age.
    No ty.
    Not sure if serious. I've barely played DoTA 1 but I can see the advantages it has over the current system. As long as it's clear which type of items a vendor is selling, it's better than the current system for both new players and veterans.
    Last edited by Qadis; 12-25-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo with item(s)

It would be AMAZING if they allowed us to customize the shop layout for ourselves. Create pages and tabs etc. Could basically setup your build order for each hero, and to get to it you type "Lina" and it pulls up the tab you made for Lina. Just a thought.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Girthanticlops View Post
    It would be AMAZING if they allowed us to customize the shop layout for ourselves. Create pages and tabs etc. Could basically setup your build order for each hero, and to get to it you type "Lina" and it pulls up the tab you made for Lina. Just a thought.
    uhh you mean the feature they added with the ursa patch?

Basic Member
    For me the system is ok, sometimes even faster, because i know the items and the the search function is all i need atm. I think i used these tabs like 3 or 4 times in one hundred games. But arent these tabs like the old shops anyway?

Basic Member
    Yeah, definitely agree. My feelings about the shop were the first thing that came about upon playing a Dota 2 game. I am definitely getting used to the system (so I don't hate it as much) but it could definitely use work.
    1. Yes, I'd suggest useful items - TP scrolls, tangoes, Clarities, Dusts -should all be near the top.
    (Tip: I've made a custom build for myself labelled "basic" that has things like this in it - wards, dusts, TPs, gg branhces, Power Treads)

2. Yes, selling is clunky. But perhaps they have made the best of a bad situation?

3. Interesting - I don't doubt you, but I have no feedback/knowledge regarding this.

4. Yeah, I turned my hotkeys off. Personally, as it stands, I find myself clicking and faster that way for me.

5. YES, YES, YES! I am getting used to it, but there needs to be a way to improve on this. Also, two questions to devs:
    a) Custom Keys for courier - is it in the works or has it been considered at all?
    b) I think this is a bug (encountered it only once) - but my hero was by the fountain, as was the courier, and when i bought stuff, it went to the courier instead of my hero. Happened at the start of a game. I will see if it happens again.

6. I could have sworn it puts a tiny tick on the item... will have to check again.

7. True but I wonder if this was in the design of the courier.

8. Haven't noticed this but again, I believe you.

Some improvements I'd like to see:

1. There is no way to cycle through the shops. In DotA one, I'd select certain shops to one hotkey, and be able to cycle through them using TAB while in lane, and click and buy whatever I needed. As a longtime DotA player this was very efficient and useful because I knew where the items were, what their recipe needed, etc. Currently, there is no TAB functionality in the shop - I have to manually click each shop to access the shop. A way to cycle through them using tab would be nice

2. The search bar - should it clear itself or not? Personally, I'd like to see it clear itself but I realise people may not want that

3. Suggested Builds - Is the default suggested Build savable for future games? I tried it but it did not seem to work. Is such a feature in the works? Or is the best we can do create our own builds?

3a). The drop down menu for the Suggested Builds feels very "clunky" and unresponsive. By hitting the middle portion of the Name bar of "Suggested Builds", it should bring up the list IMO. Currently, you have to hit the check mark to bring up the list of saved builds.

4. Overall I have noticed the UI to be sort of unresponsive in relation to mouse clicks. I'll make a separate thread about this but as far as the shop is concerned, I have found the mouse to be unresponsive occasionally when trying to switch through the different shops, or when interacting with nameplates in the shop such as the Suggested Builds tab.

Basic Member
    LoL definitely has the best shop. And I've been playing both games for a long time.

One inconsistency I noticed with the DotA 2 shop is that you have to right click -> "Show in Shop" to show your item in the shop from the inventory, but it's left click from the shop list. If you right click the item in the shop list it BUYS IT. This has screwed me up multiple times where I bought the wrong item from the build tree.

LoL's model where you can left-click any item in shop or inventory to show it in the shop is great. It allows easy navigation and creates some nifty shortcuts from item to item through shared build pieces.