Thread: Why does using an Item make you start auto-attacking the nearest enemy?

Basic Member

Why does using an Item make you start auto-attacking the nearest enemy?

So I can't get my head around this mechanic. If I have auto-attack off in the options I never want to attack at something I didn't click on. It is absolutely stunning to me that getting hit by a creep or using an item (like magic wand) would turn me around to attack. I have been killed many times attempting to heal myself and end up turning around completely to attack something.

Basic Member
    I just tried this, and couldn't reproduce it. My steps:

1) Disable autoattack.
    2) Buy a wand, power treads, and mek. Get some charges on the wand.
    3) Go to a neutral camp. Start attacking them/get their attention so they chase you.
    4) Walk somewhere nearby so you stop autoattacking, but creeps continue to attack you.
    5) Use any of the items above.

Result: You continue to sit there and do nothing.

However, there still might be a problem hiding somewhere. A Void on my team once turned around because he did something which caused the problem you described above.

EDIT: I've reproduced it with a blink dagger. If you use blink next to enemies, you'll start attacking them even with autoattack off. In fact, when you blink, you REMAIN in autoattack mode until you're given some other command. The same thing happens when you use Void's timewalk. For instance, if you blink somewhere and don't do anything after that and some enemies walk by, you'll start autoattacking them. But, if you blink somewhere and issue any command afterwards (even a stop command) you won't start autoattacking enemies which walk by.

I'm not sure exactly which items this applies to. It doesn't for force staff.
    Last edited by KScorp; 03-26-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Instant or self-cast items won't change your orders. Any other item will. Guinsoo, Eul's, Force Staff, Atos, Dagon, Medallion, etc.etc. This also goes for spells.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyGoat View Post
    Instant or self-cast items won't change your orders. Any other item will. Guinsoo, Eul's, Force Staff, Atos, Dagon, Medallion, etc.etc. This also goes for spells.
    and this is consistent with dota 1?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMTIMTIM View Post
    and this is consistent with dota 1?
    DotA1 does not have auto-attack off function, so its existence is already inconsistent with DotA1.
    Every time someone make a false report.
    Making people's losses feel worse with just my name (don't ask me how it work, I certainly don't)

Currently observed Orb(Unique Attack Modifiers), Critical, and Bash interactions for DotA2

To:
    People who cry MM isn't fair: Maybe you're not as great as you make yourself to be.
    People who wants surrender: It exists, but I'm not teaching you how to do it.

Basic Member
    so then this is a clear bug

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyGoat View Post
    I really don't want auto attack to start for any items or spells. I would prefer to have complete control over my hero.

The problem I have is that is does seem to be happening occasionally with instant self cast items too which is even more of a problem and that means death after trying to run from other heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMTIMTIM View Post
    so then this is a clear bug
    lol are you suggesting to remove auto-attack off to fix the "bug"?

It is an apparently incorrect behavior of the auto-attack off function.