Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why use rectangles for neutral spawning?

Sorry, but these weird quirks are what makes this game unique. Changes like these serve only to dumb the game down further. Dota has an inherently steep learning curve. For people who don't have the time or patience to deal with all these details, there's League of Legends. Otherwise, log on to playdota.com and spend some time reading up the game mechanics. The beauty of these mechanics is that they are all double edged - they might be detrimental to you sometimes, but you can also use them to your advantage.

Basic Member
    teh_rockerer: True, let's make creep spawns look like this, so only true pros can place good wards.

Rugz: Circle (or ellipse) is more intuitive. One would expect that creeps don't spawn if there's something within a certain distance from the center. Do you know what is the set of points within the same distance from a point? A circle. Rectangles are also weird because of corners, do find that intuitive? There should be some kind of rotational symmetry, because creep spawns are not oriented, but rectangles give you orientation.
    (btw. I know you could say creep spawns have orientation, the direction creeps are facing, but that has nothing to do with orientation of rectangles, since they are all oriented the same way.)
    Last edited by budwing; 10-03-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Basic Member
    a lindenmayer system like that approximates the rough shape of the first iteration, so it isnt exactly hard to place a ward in it unless you are placing it somewhere on the edge (but then again who would push something close to the edge?).
    nice try though.
    Last edited by blash365; 10-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    As far as I know, the neutralspawns aren't rectangles. Through they are oriented after the old rectangle farm.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    a lindenmayer system like that approximates the rough shape of the first iteration, so it isnt exactly hard to place a ward in it unless you are placing it somewhere on the edge (but then again who would push something close to the edge?).
    nice try though.
    the-joker-the-joker-1457929-1280-1024.jpg >> from http://www.playdota.com/guides/the-warding-basics

Theres are 2 neutral camps on the sentinel side and using a ward on the very edge of both of them disables both. That being said i would like something like this on the scourge side since theres none :P

Quote Originally Posted by teh_rockerer View Post
    ...log on to playdota.com and spend some time reading up the game mechanics. The beauty of these mechanics is that they are all double edged - they might be detrimental to you sometimes, but you can also use them to your advantage.
    +1!!! Seriously, people should at least take a look through the info at PD before griping about game mechanics/features here. There's always a method to the madness.
    ◕_◕

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itzSnoopy View Post
    the-joker-the-joker-1457929-1280-1024.jpg >> from http://www.playdota.com/guides/the-warding-basics

Theres are 2 neutral camps on the sentinel side and using a ward on the very edge of both of them disables both. That being said i would like something like this on the scourge side since theres none :P
    There used to be a spot on the Scourge side (if I'm not mistaken) where you had to eat a tree and place a ward on the stump to block the two camps on the left near the top T1 tower.

/edit: Nah, was just a ward blocking one spot and providing good vision.
    Last edited by UrE; 10-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Basic Member
    The infamous rectangles:

http://www.playdota.com/mechanics/neutralcreeps

I like them.

Does anyone knows a console's command to see the Rectangles in Dota 2?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz View Post
    Oh look it's this argument again. How about the other side where it's a perfectly valid, well-documented and widely known mechanic of the game that people only want to change because they have some deep-seated hatred of the WC3 engine.

How does a circle make more sense? Are the creep camps circular?
    But guys it doesn't matter if we make a change that invalidates half of every ward guide out there, because placing circles around non-circular creep camps makes more sense than rectangles.

Look at the 2 possibilities:
    1. You lose ward locations, and gain nothing
    2. You open up potential new overlaps between creep camps

So basically you either want to subtract from the game or make even more work for the developers just because you don't like straight lines.
    This is basically what I was going to say.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    we could use octagonal spawningboxes.
    This is a good idea. T-up.