Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why use rectangles for neutral spawning?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Why use rectangles for neutral spawning?

There are counterintuitive for new and old players alike. Why not use circles? And much smaller? There are some drawings already in every creep camp that I thought for long indicated spawn area.

Consistency with WC3 dota. Disregarding whether or not it is possible on that map, it is a playdota issue; altering the spawn areas would change balance in both games (for blocking neutral spawns—see: magic bush, etc.)

Basic Member
    Yes it will bring some changes to the game, but wouldn't it be more intuitive to have circular areas?

At anytime if you would make a pool about when stacking is not occurring the vast majority of players will get it wrong. And for sure the votes will go to the urban myth that you need not to have vision over the camp for a successful stack...

Basic Member
    no.

Basic Member
    Of course it would be more intuitive. The current system does not make any sense. But it's one of those relics from WC3 dota people refuse to change simply because of resistance to change. So expect these weird mechanics to remain in dota. I think this is the biggest negative of this game, there are so many unintuitive and weird mechanics because of limitations and bugs of WC3 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by budwing View Post
    Of course it would be more intuitive. The current system does not make any sense. But it's one of those relics from WC3 dota people refuse to change simply because of resistance to change. So expect these weird mechanics to remain in dota. I think this is the biggest negative of this game, there are so many unintuitive and weird mechanics because of limitations and bugs of WC3 engine.
    that's a negative for you? well too bad, lrn2play
    I hate people that put their Rig specs in the signature. This is not overclock.net!
    CPU: AMD Trainwrecker AM5+ 12150 hexacontatetra-core 1.65 Thz | RAM: Corsair Revenge 4TB DDR6 (0.24-0.24-0.36) | GPU: Sapphire 9990 128GB GDDR9 Hexa-Fired (0.65/0.95/1.1Thz) | Resolution: @ 20480x12800
    Connection: - Telus: (70MB/10MB)
    All Specs shown in the signature are fictitious, any resemblance to real hardware, current or obsolete, is purely coincidental

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by budwing View Post
    Oh look it's this argument again. How about the other side where it's a perfectly valid, well-documented and widely known mechanic of the game that people only want to change because they have some deep-seated hatred of the WC3 engine.

How does a circle make more sense? Are the creep camps circular?
    But guys it doesn't matter if we make a change that invalidates half of every ward guide out there, because placing circles around non-circular creep camps makes more sense than rectangles.

Look at the 2 possibilities:
    1. You lose ward locations, and gain nothing
    2. You open up potential new overlaps between creep camps

So basically you either want to subtract from the game or make even more work for the developers just because you don't like straight lines.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz View Post
    Oh look it's this argument again. How about the other side where it's a perfectly valid, well-documented and widely known mechanic of the game that people only want to change because they have some deep-seated hatred of the WC3 engine.

How does a circle make more sense? Are the creep camps circular?
    But guys it doesn't matter if we make a change that invalidates half of every ward guide out there, because placing circles around non-circular creep camps makes more sense than rectangles.

Look at the 2 possibilities:
    1. You lose ward locations, and gain nothing
    2. You open up potential new overlaps between creep camps

So basically you either want to subtract from the game or make even more work for the developers just because you don't like straight lines.
    This is basically what I was going to say.

dota doesn't have much to do with intuition as much as it has to do with tradition. some of it is interesting, other stuff is kind of stupid.

in the end, it really does make the game what it is.
    cool_slowbro

Basic Member
    we could use octagonal spawningboxes.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage