Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Simple Suggestion: Cosmetic item choice when leveling up.

Basic Member

Simple Suggestion: Cosmetic item choice when leveling up.

Currently, the only considerable benefit of leveling up in the game (at least in terms of cosmetics) is that it guarantees you an item drop.

However, this doesn't really give it much of a difference from a drop that could occur to you on an average game.

There's also the possible frustration of receiving something for a hero you never play as, or an item you already have.

There may be some feature that Valve has planned for levels in the future, but right now it seems to be lacking.

Because of this I'd like to share the following ideas in order to make leveling up a much more pleasant experience for players.

Idea #1: Give players a variety of items to choose from.
    Basically when leveling up a player is presented with 3-5 random cosmetic items. He/She then proceeds to pick whichever item they find more favorable. This keeps the randomness of the drop system, but at least gives the player more of a chance of getting an item that they actually want. There are many ways this could work, for example: Show 3 items to the player, one for a STR hero, one for an AGI hero, and one for an INT hero.

or

Idea #2: Make the item belong to one of their favorites.
    Make it so that when leveling up, the item a player receives belongs to one of the heroes they have tagged as a "favorite". This also mantains an aspect of randomness to the drops, but still makes it more favorable for players. It also serves to have players make more use of the yellow star function. An alternative is to make the drop belong to one of the most played heroes by the user (in case they have no heroes tagged).

or

Idea #3: Guarantee a higher level of rarity.
    I was a bit disappointed to see that upon leveling up today I received the "Heavy Pauldrons of the Hierophant", which is a common item. Considering that leveling up is understood as being somewhat special, I want to suggest that leveling up produce items of a lesser rarity. Perhaps the level of rarity can be tied to what level you're achieving, for instance a regular level up could give you an uncommon item, while reaching a level multiple of 10 could give you rare, and reaching level 100 (or a multiple thereof) give you a Mythical item.

As you can see, these ideas beef up the leveling system so thay players are more interested in playing the game. Additionally, it keeps the drop system random, so that it essentially doesn't just hand over the cosmetic store in a platter. Of course, I am open to discussions and suggestions about this idea.

Thanks for the read.

Basic Member

The only thing i can +1 is a choice of 2 items. Both for the same hero. Same rarity. two options only.

Well, at least choose a hero to get a random for. So much randomness for gaining a level seems a bit underwhelming.

Basic Member
    like your idea #3

Basic Member
    Idea #1: Give players a variety of items to choose from.
    Basically when leveling up a player is presented with 3-5 random cosmetic items. He/She then proceeds to pick whichever item they find more favorable. This keeps the randomness of the drop system, but at least gives the player more of a chance of getting an item that they actually want. There are many ways this could work, for example: Show 3 items to the player, one for a STR hero, one for an AGI hero, and one for an INT hero.
    I quite like this, although in all honesty I think a choice of two items would be more than enough.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfawkable View Post
    Well, at least choose a hero to get a random for. So much randomness for gaining a level seems a bit underwhelming.
    That's precisely the idea I was going for. I still want to keep the idea of randomness but there should be more of a kick to leveling up.

Idea number #2 is out of the question, I believe. That is way too much power into deciding which item you get, and is not fair considering that some heroes have very few items (with some of them being really valuable) and others have tons of them. For example, I could tag Pudge as my favourite hero, and get a Dragonclaw Hook when I level up (which is a rather expensive, mythical item).

#3 is also a bad idea IMHO, as it would really strain the market. They are called common for a reason; considering that "random drops" happen very rarely, assuring a higher level of rarity of level up could have a negative effect and devaluate the items.

However, #1 seems like a very good idea. Keep the current odds (that is, you would still have to be very lucky to get a mythical among the options), but at least give the player some control over which item they get. I really support this idea.

Basic Member
    I like your ideas. I'm also somewhat upset of the level-item drop. I always feel that I get a bad item I don't want or care for.

+1

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenova- View Post
    That is way too much power into deciding which item you get, and is not fair considering that some heroes have very few items (with some of them being really valuable)
    A very understandable concern, but this idea of course takes in mind that by the time the game is officially released all heroes would have a wide variety of items to choose from.

#3 is also a bad idea IMHO, as it would really strain the market. They are called common for a reason;
    Which is the reason why I suggested that there should be specific reasons towards. Leveling up is already quite uncommon, and getting a mythical item every 100 levels is not really unreasonable if you think about it.

However, #1 seems like a very good idea. Keep the current odds (that is, you would still have to be very lucky to get a mythical among the options), but at least give the player some control over which item they get. I really support this idea.
    Precisely. The same level of randomness is kept, but being given 2-3 items to choose from makes it slightly better.
    Anyways, the point remains that leveling up is underwhelming as is.

1+. when have lot of item ,need those who oneself dont have yet !