Thread: [Confirmed] Clockwork Cog - Bugged movement of units when cog is cast

Basic Member

[Confirmed] Clockwork Cog - Bugged movement of units when cog is cast

I've experienced quite a couple of times that whenever i trap somebody in my cog, they might sometimes be moved (blinked) outside the cog, which can often lead to death of my own hero or escape of the supposedly trapped hero. The cog has a very long cast time therefore it is a weak spell already, i think it is sad that this bug makes it difficult to fully utilize this hero, which is underpowered anyways.

I will present a game where this exact problem has occured. The problem occurs when trapping a hero (who can stand DIRECTLY next to you, as seen in the following replay of a game) with cog, with little space inside the cog left. The space can be taken up by creeps, other heroes, and even trees. In my opinion, considering logic thinking and fair gameplay, trees, which are in the way, should be destroyed to make space for the heroes and units that are supposed to be inside the cog but are blocked by these trees. In the replay the problem occurs to trees. The exact same issue can happen with creeps as well. The units in the case of too many units seem to be randomly chosen to be inside or outside the cog, it is rather confusing and annoying to play with that.

Now for a specific case of this problem: Clockwerk tries to trap a Nature's Prophet in the trees (real trees, not treants) with cog, NP gets blinked outside despite previously standing next to CW. CW nearly dies due to that and NP escapes.
    dota2://matchid=45381592&matchtime=1392
    Time: 23:10 - switch to player perspective of my camera (Brown , clockwerk)

He did not "blink" he makes a buggy movement due to Cog Release. But that release shouldn't happen. He should have been stayed inside. He has nothing to get himself out of the Cog.
    Someone else can surely identify this bug better than me. Just do not read the OP post, and watch the replay. Something that shouldn't happen is happening there.

Basic Member
    Why should my post not be read? Taken your bad English aside, you don't even give any statements on what I might have said that makes my post "not to be read".
    I never implied that Nature Prophet actually blinked. I put it in brackets next to the word "moved" because he obviously gets reposition on a very far distance making it seem almost as if he had BEEN "blinked", teleported, or whatever you wanna call it. It is an instant, undelayed movement. And it is unlogical and a bug.

The problem is obviously due to the lack of space. Again i would prefer that the trees would be destroyed in order to generate the needed space for all units inside the cog. Besides I think there would even have been space inside the cog along the way through the trees.

Your bug report doesn't look like a "report". It consists mostly of your subjective statements, opinions, things that are not relevant to the bug that you are reporting.

You are suggesting a balance fix (removing the trees in vicinity when casting Power Cogs) in your post and that is simply not allowed. If Cogs doesn't remove trees on W3 DotA, it won't remove in Dota 2, too.

And what I understand from "moved (blinked)" is "moved (eg. Blinked)". I think this is just the common sense, and not just a problem with my way of understanding things...

This thread was unreplied for 2 hours, despite it being a serious issue. I thought that the reason might be that the people just ignoring the thread when they see that it's too long, or because they have seen "underpowered anyways" while they are skimming through it. And that is why my post was like that.
    I didn't mean to be rude, I just wanted this bug to be recognized.
    I am sure you also want that, too.
    And believe me including opinions within a Bug Report never makes this easy.

Basic Member
    just try to post according to the Bug posting guidelines and maybe even add a few screenshots or a video.

you should be happy taht appelsin commented on your bug. since he is one of the most active bug reporters/confirmers, it tells other people that it might be worth looking into this issue.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Sorry

Summary:
    When using Clockwork's cog with a lot of units/heroes/trees inside it, the units and heroes that are supposed to be pulled in, get placed at inappropriate positions (for example very far away). It could be that in the shown case there even was enough space, since there are paths through the trees.

Repro Steps:
    dota2://matchid=45381592&matchtime=1392
    1. move a hero to the spot shown in the replay
    2. move clockwork next to the hero
    3. use cog skill

(This also happens when units and heroes are crowded in the cog-area, leaving not enough space for all of them to be inside. In that case i observed it is not always logic what heroes/units are moved outside. Maybe heroes should be preferrable put inside the cog in such cases, with creeps being put outside.)

Result:
    The hero will be moved outside cog, despite clockwork standing directly next to the hero

Expected Result:
    The hero should be staying inside.

Eventually trees should be destroyed in order to create enough space, but this would be a change of the skill.

DotA:

Dota 2:

And also, I could fill up to 4 Drow Rangers inside my Clock's Power Cogs, no more.
    And on DotA, 6 Gondars were able to fit, even on a terrain-crowded area. I don't think there is a limit there, I didn't check any further.
    Last edited by ThoAppelsin; 10-02-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Basic Member
    Thats really really awesome ThoAppelsint. I actually like how warcraft 3 handled this, seems fine to me. Very nice videos you made there
    Last edited by Ident; 10-04-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Basic Member
    added to sticky.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage