Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ETA On Web API?

Basic Member
    A couple questions

1. Does your dataset distinguish between Normal, High, and Very High level games?

2. Will you have past data available in weekly dumps or just the most recent additions?

3. If you're doing past data in weekly dumps, would it be possible to do a pre-patch and post-patch dump for the weeks with major patch releases?

I hope you are not trolling. Interesting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    1. Does your dataset distinguish between Normal, High, and Very High level games?
    2. Will you have past data available in weekly dumps or just the most recent additions?
    3. If you're doing past data in weekly dumps, would it be possible to do a pre-patch and post-patch dump for the weeks with major patch releases?
    1. Not for all game sadly, but we will be filling this data in when we can, and ideally sharing it as additional data to save people having to redownload everything
    2. Probably breaking it down into weekly dumps as there seems to be no disadvantage to doing it that way, but open to any input you may have.
    3. Potentially; there isn't a clean break between patch versions but we can probably break things up into pre-patch, "grey area" and post-patch and see how messy it makes things.

Basic Member
    From my personal perspective smaller dumps is vastly preferable. A +50 gig file would be problematic in a number of ways and contain a lot of excess information with no immediate importance.

Are the holes in your skill level information time based or more randomly distributed? That is would a dump of last week's games contain a more complete picture of the skill distribution than a dump of this week a year ago?

If you can accomplish 3 that would be great. If not, or if it just ends up too much work, it's not the end of the world.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Are the holes in your skill level information time based or more randomly distributed? That is would a dump of last week's games contain a more complete picture of the skill distribution than a dump of this week a year ago?
    If you can accomplish 3 that would be great. If not, or if it just ends up too much work, it's not the end of the world.
    It's pretty random; while the API was up we were able to get the skill brackets and since it's been down we've been concentrating on how to get the "real" data instead of just the histories. So no skill data on the last few months, and patchy at best for the rest of it.

I'll have a think and see what I can work out about #3; there are few enough patches that doing it by hand each time is not completely out of the question.

Basic Member
    I'd like to apologise for the lateness of all this, obviously it's been more than a few days.

There's a couple of small things* I need to prepare before we release it, they're fairly trivial, but I just need to find an hour or two. We realise you're all keen to start making cool Dota 2 related things as soon as possible.

* 1) A quick README. 2) Update the historical_item_costs table with the most recent changes. 3) A bit of testing on the dump/restore scripts to make sure we can merge in weekly dumps correctly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teen View Post
    Again, this is not a hard problem to solve. In the meantime, it's unfair they allow dotabuff to scrape their data but other not other developers.
    Anyone can do it you just need the tools for it.

you can check my site in the meantime, it gives you some stats

http://panoramaetterem.eu/dota/dotastats.php

still in beta, but works
    >Click< here to make a clicking sound.

Overall average (K+A)/D and K/D tracker, and a MMR solution?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeRychard View Post
    you can check my site in the meantime, it gives you some stats
    http://panoramaetterem.eu/dota/dotastats.php
    still in beta, but works
    Are you getting the data from another "secret method", or parsing from Dotabuff?