Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please make a downloadable dump of GetMatchDetails for all matches

Please make a downloadable dump of GetMatchDetails for all matches

• Current method of one request per second is insufficient and would require almost a year to harvest all data.
    • Will reduce strain on API by allowing developers to host their data and only use the API to keep current

Personally I think a torrent would be an ideal distribution format.

Why do you need every single match?
    What use would it be?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruirize View Post
    Why do you need every single match?
    What use would it be?
    The first obvious answer is speed, but there are other issues which you need all the data for to get. Win percentage is a very simple example, but there are plenty of others.

Running stats, having complete database to work with (for example, optimizing code is easier when you have a lot of material instead of just handful of matches as you can see the impact in full scale), speed.. There are plenty of reasons.

Plenty of reasons, sure. But nothing that you can't get from http://dotabuff.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by Ruirize View Post
    Plenty of reasons, sure. But nothing that you can't get from http://dotabuff.com/ .
    That's not at all true and you should not spread misinformation. There is a league of difference between a downloadable database dump and having to scrape it off a third party site.

Basic Member
    +1
    there are lots of lots of interesting stats we can pull

Quote Originally Posted by walkingcarpet View Post
    That's not at all true and you should not spread misinformation. There is a league of difference between a downloadable database dump and having to scrape it off a third party site.
    What I am saying is that there is little use for _ALL_ data other than to produce statistics about everyone, which dotabuff already does. I can totally understand wanting to download a user's match history in a batch, because that could be very useful for performance tracking.

If they do it, great. But I very much doubt they will.

What if dotabuff decides to quit paying for hosting, what if I want to make competitor for dotabuff, what if there are features that I'd like to work on which won't be available from there?

Competition makes both sites better for the end user when you do not have pressure to make your site better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkai View Post
    What if dotabuff decides to quit paying for hosting, what if I want to make competitor for dotabuff, what if there are features that I'd like to work on which won't be available from there?

Competition makes both sites better for the end user when you do not have pressure to make your site better.
    My main point is that releasing a torrent of the entire history of games isn't exceedingly useful. What would be better: They allowed us to specify many MatchIDs for GetMatchDetails. It reduces effort on their part, and makes it easier for us to get batches of the data we need.

Although, in my personal opinion, we should only really track history from the last patch - simply because they usually affect gameplay in one way or another.