Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for replay functionality: Custom Games set up to watch replays

Basic Member

Suggestion for replay functionality: Custom Games set up to watch replays

I have an interesting idea that I haven't seen really suggested or talked about from what I can see.

One of the fundamental exercises of a team is to go over replays together with teammates.
    Right now, what my team does is just download the replay together, count down, and start it together to sync up and watch it together.

However, it's tough to signal stuff or talk about specific events like it would be able to be done with just a ping.

Perhaps we could load a replay in a private lobby to invite people in and watch and comment on it together?
    This would allow for people to draw on the map, ping, and basically speed up/slow down together to ensure efficient replay review and better functionality for teams.

I feel like this would be a great function to bring into Dota 2.

Basic Member
    +1 to this, synchronized replays are a need

Basic Member
    Really usefull stuff for watching replay's for fun and more competetive with frends!

Basic Member
    It is one of the oldest problems since dota 1.

I think it has been beautifully solved for watching live games. The important thing in terms of user experience is to keep watching games cohesive within the existing process. Personally i would suggest:
    • Enable party leader to initiate replay watching i.e. once the party leader watches the replay, it is downloaded and started for everybody. A synching screen similar to the loading window at the start of every game can be used to wait for everybody to finish loading.
    • When a friend is watching a replay, you can hit "spectate" and the game will download and start the replay.
    • Now the crucial part: Treat each replay viewer (*on your friendlist) as a broadcast. That means in addition to camera control, you can also choose replay control. Let's say, you just want to sit back and follow your captains remarks. Then choose his camera and replay control and listen to him. When someone has something to contribute, he can tell his team/friend to switch to his view. This part however could be very intense on necessary infrastructure, I imagine.
    Last edited by rotegirte; 10-08-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Basic Member
    This is a pretty amazing idea.

Basic Member
    +1 to this and the broadcaster addition rotegirte mentioned above!

+1 indeed. This is a fantastic idea that would be extremely helpful in improving the quality of play and the tools coaches/friends have to work with newer players.

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    supported

Basic Member
    +1