Thread: "Box Grinder" system

Basic Member

Lightbulb Go Nuts thread: Unique player weapon (new)

Box Grinder

Grinder in which a player can throw in 4 boxes of the same type and get 1 part of a common item from that box. Four parts of the same common item will form a complete item.
    (note:mythical chest can't be broken down)

• Pro
      1. will promote trading between players
      2. will give players something to do with the heap of boxes that are pilling up

• Con

1. valve might lose some revenue
        (thoughts: players that have 100+ boxes will surley not buy keys to soon to open them; and in case Valve thinks that the above values are to favorable for the players they can either raise the needed parts to form a item or the needed boxes for a single part)
      2. rare items? few rare items might pop up due to the surpluss of common items
        (thoughts: valve could add a "crude" stat to the common items formed by this method; items with the "crude" stat will not have a chance to spawn other items upon beeing destroyed)
    ----------------------------------

Inventory layout tweaks

-make boxes of the same series stackable
    -have a different inventory for boxes
    -have a check box in your inventory menu that would be used to turn on and off the visability for the box inventory
    -if valve has in mind to give each player limited amount of inventory space: then have a true value number for the inventory slots istead of having 10 pages containing "physical" slots (ex. if you have 20 stacked up items that are displayed only in a "physical" slot then those items will substract 20 from the number of the inventory slots remaining)
    -add a separate "What I want to trade" inventory for players to use (note: players that will be searching for items through other players inventory will have the option of turning on the visibility of this inventory and only seeing the items that the players wants to trade)
    ----------------------------------

Unique player weapon
    • Simple system (easy to implement, easy to manage)
      Players will recieve a weapon upon completing a quest or achievement. The weapon will be for the hero that the player has selected (ex. Pudge quest = Pudge weapon; Sven achievement = Sven weapon)
    • Complex system (unique customization, unique player personality)
      Players will recieve a weapon part upon completing a quest or achievemet. The body part will be random but the player will have a higher chance of recieving a body part from the sword of the hero the player wants if he completes a quest or achievement specific to that hero. The weapon will be formed out of 3 different parts (ex. blade, pommel, grip). The parts will varry in color and shape.

-the weapon will have a unique status making it untradable
    -player can only have 1 unique weapon for only 1 hero (that excludes the thought of having multiple unique weapons for different heroes on the same Dota 2 account)
    -the player can add custom text to this weapon (some might like to simply add a "made by" status in their name while others might want to add a short story or a legend)
    -the weapon will have a in game glow to reflect it's unique status

Last edited by Cordimix; 10-22-2012 at 01:13 AM.

The reason people have 100 boxes is because they think they can trade them for keys if they have enough. If they're not buying keys they either never will or will buy one like once a year when they have spare cash they have nowhere else to burn due to personal views or their life situation.

Stop hoarding chests because you think they have a value and then complaining when you have 3 free slots in your inventory and don't want to get rid of them.

No, chests are chests, get over it.

Just no. Let Valve make some money for giving as this FREE, wonderful game and some much more beside it.

Basic Member
    ^^Out of you three bird brains the smartest one appears to be Zath and even his post would be a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 of inteligent criticism value. Good work on adding something new to the table. From what I gather you people think that having players horde 100+ boxes and/or destroying boxes because of inventory space issues would create in some way profit for Valve. If that is so then this could be a huge breakthrough. Valve you heard the bird brains, hurry up and increase the boxes drop rate!!!

Now, on to a more interesting subject and that would be : making "steam money" more accessible. From what I know, in my country at least, there is no way to add small amounts (3$-7$) "steam money" to your steam wallet without having acces to a credit card ( the pay by sms/phone doesn't work ). And I bet that there are tons of kiddies like you that would pile cash bit by bit until they can buy up 1 or 2 items if they had some means by which they could easily get some money in their steam wallet. Even having something like "steam cash card" that you could buy from your local games shop would be great.

They have that already...

Basic Member
    +1 on making boxes stackale, i plan on buying some keys in the future for a wr/invo set but having a lot mixed with wearable items is annoying.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShake View Post
    They have that already...
    And the iteligent posts keep on coming. I would advice people like you to actually specify to which part of my post you are refering. If by my deduction you are refering to the "steam cash card" idea that Valve calls "steam wallet codes" and is available only in the US then yes, YOU have them. Hell, lets advance the idea and actually give it a bit of flavor so that even tiny brains can grasp the sarcasm. Why not have the option of going to your local game store, give X amount of money, specify that you want it placed into your "steam wallet" (you will then give the account name and a password specifically used for this kind of transactions*), the shop owner will then just use the shops "credit card" to make that transaction and then you will confirm that the transaction was made. Then Valve will have no need to actually deliver physical cards to shops.

*differentiate this from your normal password that you use to log into your account; password used to confirm that the transfer is made to your account and not to another
    Edited for the sake of helping people read better

And yes, I am not joking, this type of payment system is used in some countries by the airlines to pay tickets through banks. In that case the medium is the bank (aka the shop) where you will be going to deposit money into a account provided by the airline (aka your steam wallet) and you will do so with a password or code provided by the airline. After the transfer is done you will recieve confirmation either by telephone or email.
    Last edited by Cordimix; 10-21-2012 at 01:59 PM.

So your idea is to give a guy your account info so he can take your cash then use his credit card and add funds? I can't tell if you're joking.