Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we expect better item icons?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningSera View Post
    the first (very common) item icon that i didnt like is the Gauntlet of strength, it looks like glove of haste :S
    completely agree. its confusing because the new gauntlets look like the old gloves of haste, and the new gloves are green and hard to look for!

Some items icons look awesome e.g butterfly demon edge, radiance. but some look really shabbily done like sange and yasha, force staff, cyclone staff. also IMHO desolator doesn't look menacing enough.

just my 2 cents worth and no offense meant.
    Last edited by Jandonyada; 11-20-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Basic Member
    I'm fine with the style even though the minimalistic nature makes the items less recognizable.

What really irks me though is that some recipe icons have the same flat black background as component pieces, and some component pieces look even more ornate than high tier recipies (e.g., Staff of Wizardry vs Ultimate Sceptor). Consistency in background details would go a long way to helping new players learn and recognize items and the item categories.

Some are great, like Radiance, Manta Style, Tangos, Branches etc...

Things like Sange and Yasha though...needs something.

Basic Member
    They should make them bigger in shop and modify a few. They icons are designed fits style pretty well.

Basic Member
    The icons are blatantly boring. They look like they were created in MSpaint. Look at the icons from LEague of Legends, much more interesting. The whole UI, HUD, and shop interfaces are COMPLETLY SUB-PAR.

This is not what a High-end Game should look like.

If they just took them all into photoshop and did a light render on the items in REd channel raised they would instantly look 10x better.

I want all these icon "images" gone. Need actual detailed 3D model icons...

Banned
    I agree that at the moment the icons look a bit boring. A lot of the items (also high tier) have a plain background, this makes the items look nowhere near epic, even thought they have the epic purple lettres. I am confident though that the icons are placeholders and will get spiced up a bit.

Basic Member
    While I agree that such things as item icons should have rather low priority here are some icons I absolutely dislike:

-Assault Cuirass (Should be some kind of Bone Armor)
    -Forcestaff (Just remake it completely ^^)
    -Ancient Janggo (see Forcestaff; make it look like drums)
    -Ring of Basilus (add a different icon, when it's disabled)
    -Eye of Skadi (Should be a frost skull (like in dota) or a frozen eyeball)
    -Sobi Mask (looks kinda weird with the pink)

-also adding icons to the necronomicon minions wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'd also switch the icons of Mask of Madnes and Mask of Death (And make the current mask of death icon a little more "epic")
    Lots of other icons need a better background and a little more detail.
    Also Items like Butterfly, Blink Dagger, Demon Edge and Eaglehorn are making the other icons look kinda unfinished.

Basic Member
    Basically I only dislike most of the items with a black background. And radience even though that might comefrom all the items that have a black background. It`s just so freaking orange that it jumps out of the inventory every time I look at it.
    Last edited by Cocofang; 11-24-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Basic Member
    It's not only about aesthetic, it's also about the influence of items on the morale. When you see an enemy hero with a sheepstick or an orchid malevolence the item should strike you and scares you, you should absolutely not be able to confuse it with a branch or an urn of shadows or any other low-cost item.

Some items can remain with the dull black background as they are cheap and sometimes temporary items.

But some items must become much more powerful-looking and therefore cannot have a dull black background. They have to glow! Those items are:
    -SHEEPSTICK
    -BLACK KING BAR
    -HEART
    -Refresher
    -orchid malevolence
    -Ultimate scepter
    -dagon
    -Armlet
    -Pipe
    -Mekansm
    -Cyclone
    (-Maelstorm)

Make them as important-looking as they should be!