Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we expect better item icons?

Can we expect better item icons?

If one thing can stand the test of time it's icons. WC3 is a really dated engine now, but the icons are incredibly detailed, rich and easily recognized. I don't believe the icons of dota 2 reflect this. Most of them feel flat, unmemorable and boring. I think there needs to be a more artistic approach to them.

To be honest, this was the biggest gripe after seeing the first screenshots. The style of heroes etc. is great, but the items really look like taken from a f2p low budget mmo. I hope those are just placeholders.

Basic Member
    so just for clarification, this is what you guys think is detailed, rich and easily recognized:

http://www.playdota.com/items

and this is what you think is unmemorable and boring:

http://www.dota-two.com/dota2-items

wish i could agree, really. the items icons are clear, simplistic in their portrayal and aren't oversaturated with needless 'details'. most importantly, everything is clearly distinct.

i swear i played dota for about two years straight before i even realized what some of the item icons actually were pictures of in wc3. nostalgia goggles for you guys, maybe?
    Last edited by vladhood; 11-17-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Basic Member
    im sure OP is talking about certain rather pale items.
    i also feel like many items look strange with just a simple black background. (f.e urn of shadows)
    my guess is that valve wants cheaper items to look cheaper and the baus items to be easy distinguish from the ironwoodbranches.

i like them the way they are. imo its just a matter of familiarization. at the beginning i didnt like the style either but now im really happy with it since theyre so easy to memorize and distinguish.

Icons are fine the way they are now. Nice, clean

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    so just for clarification, this is what you guys think is detailed, rich and easily recognized:

http://www.playdota.com/items

and this is what you think is unmemorable and boring:

http://www.dota-two.com/dota2-items

wish i could agree, really. the items icons are clear, simplistic in their portrayal and aren't oversaturated with needless 'details'. most importantly, everything is clearly distinct.

i swear i played dota for about two years straight before i even realized what some of the item icons actually were pictures of in wc3. nostalgia goggles for you guys, maybe?
    In fact it makes a significant difference whether the graphics are toon like in Dota 2 or painting-styled as in WC3.
    I think the Icons should orientate at the skill icons which also have this painting-style rather than the toon-style.

The icons now are half good and half bad.

Some of them have a lot of style to them, some of them look like they were drafted up in an hour. Some of the icons don't even have a background color yet, which leads me to believe that the item art is not finished. Not to mention that the items icon section in the forum still hasn't been opened yet, I just think they are focusing and releasing all of the heroes right now, and I am totally fine with that.

Basic Member
    Some items are so simple and black background is so bad. Ex; yasha, sange, urn, even aghanim scepter

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogblaster View Post
    Icons are fine the way they are now. Nice, clean
    I agree to an extend. I think those with cool background (like Midas, Treads etc..) is more appealing than a pure black background.