Thread: Isn't the term 'Drow' copyrighted by TSR/Wizards of the Coast?

Isn't the term 'Drow' copyrighted by TSR/Wizards of the Coast?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drow_(D...s_%26_Dragons)

I mean she has a line saying 'Pride of the Drow' and lots of cosmetics got the name in their description. You guys got green light from TSR or is this an oversight?

Basic Member
    No. The Drow, also called Trow, are a fictional race in Nothern European mythology. This generated various other depictions of them, including that of R.A. Salvatore and WOTC.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    No. The Drow, also called Trow, are a fictional race in Nothern European mythology. This generated various other depictions of them, including that of R.A. Salvatore and WOTC.
    but is it not copyrighted...?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Flavor View Post
    but is it not copyrighted...?
    People like Drizzt are copyrighted, the race belongs to OGC (Open Game Content) and therefore isn't intellectual property. It would be like copyrighting dwarves or giant spiders.

Basic Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trow_%28folklore%29

It's not a unique term. They're not copyrighted, that's like saying "gnomes" or "elves" are copyrighted.

That shit says Trow not Drow 'Trows, in general, are inclined to be short of stature, ugly and both shy and mischievous in nature.' while Drow Ranger has all attributes of TSR's Drow bar the pointy ears.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeWindwalker View Post
    That shit says Trow not Drow 'Trows, in general, are inclined to be short of stature, ugly and both shy and mischievous in nature.' while Drow Ranger has all attributes of TSR's Drow bar the pointy ears.
    Norse mythology has got you covered, bro.

I, for one, welcome our new Russian overlords.

Basic Member Justinian of Hattes's Avatar
    I was more concerned with the fact she's not actually a drow, but raised by them.

"I'm all for moderation, but sometimes it seems, moderation itself can be a kind of extreme."

Quote Originally Posted by LukeWindwalker View Post
    "In the folkloric traditions of the Orkney and Shetland islands, a trow (alternatively trowe or drow)". Read her lore, it specifically says that Traxex is not a Drow, she was raised by the Drow, whom are described to be the creatures from folklore rather than the modern interpretation introduced by TSR. As a result, there are no copyright conflicts here.
    Traxex also differs from TRS' Drows by more than just the ears - her skin and eyes have different colours (purple vs black, and blue vs red respectively), and she doesn't appear to have any disadvantages imposed on her by sunlight - she is seen running in bright sunlight in the Dota 2 comic without showing any signs of being weakened, tired, or otherwise being impaired.
    Since there are no copyright conflicts to speak of here, I'm going to close this.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.