Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have 35 chests

I have 35 chests

I used to delete all of them. But then I started to buy keys (not many just a few - so far bought 10). The good thing is, it pushed me to trade with other players and made the experience worth it.

Now, I currently own 35 chests. $2.48 per key per chest equals $87.

I mean who would spend $87 on keys? I know some would but the majority won't!

So my question is: Why doesn't Valve offer some keys promotion? Buy 2 keys get the 3rd for free OR 10 keys for $10? Something like that?

If Valve does this, I would surely buy keys more often!

Basic Member
    because market is fine as it is now. u surely do not see the ones paying 1800$ for 1 courier, there are alot of people buying keys and it have been fine since team fortress 2 had keys until now when dota 2 had keys. they never and will not do promos with keys

Basic Member
    Because that degrades the value of the keys. Keys are worth $2.50 right now in the store, ~$2 trade value. If they offered promotions like that it wouldn't 'entice' purchases, it would simply lower the value of the keys, as well as demotivate buying keys at regular price (as if there wasn't already enough people that think it's a ripoff). The items inside are only worth as much as the cost of opening the chest anyways, so all you'd get are lower-value items.

Quote Originally Posted by blonde View Post
    because market is fine as it is now. u surely do not see the ones paying 1800$ for 1 courier, there are alot of people buying keys and it have been fine since team fortress 2 had keys until now when dota 2 had keys. they never and will not do promos with keys
    Not sure how to approach your answer. The market value has nothing to do with sales promotion. "You surely do not see" Indeed I don't physically watch people online BUT I was not aware that you could purchase $1,800 courier. This seems ridiculous to me. I think you got it wrong here.

I guess the point you are suggesting here would be that according to your experience in TF2, Valve never offered any sales promotion. I disagree with "never they will" as this statement seems to harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdstick View Post
    Because that degrades the value of the keys. Keys are worth $2.50 right now in the store, ~$2 trade value. If they offered promotions like that it wouldn't 'entice' purchases, it would simply lower the value of the keys, as well as demotivate buying keys at regular price (as if there wasn't already enough people that think it's a ripoff). The items inside are only worth as much as the cost of opening the chest anyways, so all you'd get are lower-value items.
    How is sales promotion degrading the value of the keys? Isn't promotion a marketing strategy that presents a sale strategy to consumers by 1) increasing the demand 2) differentiate a product.

I see nothing wrong with: Buy 2 keys get 1 for free? You get 3 keys for $5 instead of $7.5. This is a different topic (personal sale) instead of sales promotion.
    It will NOT demotivate buyers to buy keys, on the contrary, it will increase sales! And as you correctly stated 'enough people think it is already a rip-off, therefore having price deals would promote consumer sales.

I am personally not thinking on buying keys any longer as I don't see the benefit over time. Why would I buy a $2.50 key for a Witch Doctor chest? If I am entitled to receive an extra key as part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal, I would surely use the 3rd key to open a insignificant chest.

So really? I don't see why there are no Sales promotion.

Basic Member
    If keys were at $1, imagine the increase in revenue.

I really think $2.50 is over-doing it. If valve is doing this for profit then they're only focusing on people with steady income, but if they're really serious about profit they should really lower its price.

Why? $2.50 is really high for third-world countries - just imagine $3 can feed a whole family in those countries in a week, the unemployed ratio is higher than the ones with jobs, the ratio of cheap people is higher than the ones who aren't, look at how fastfood restaurants thrive with their dollar menu.

We're dealing with digital items, something that doesn't has infinite supply, high demand but have no impact in improving someones life. Even a dollar burger, which is really unhealthy, can keep a man alive while these items are just pixels with no value, only for a bit of happiness and a bit of buyers remorse.

Well, I've never seen a company who caters to all kinds of people. They mostly cater to those ones who can pay, and not the ones who wants to pay but couldn't so I'm not really surprised.

However, if the prices are slashed by atleast 60% off, chest trading would have a bigger impact in our community, it wouldn't be just some useless crate you delete, it will be a crate that everyone would want and would like to open for a bit of satisfaction.

Seasonal keys are fine at $2.50 and I have no complaints with it.

Well, the topic name could be better. Made me go check to show off, I've 60. The rest of the points, can't find myself not agreeing. Keys being solely purchaseable is a bit too [i]mann[i]ey-grubbing even as of me, and the price itself - I'd go for 1$, that'd be totally fine. It's not like any of my heroes have chests, anyway.

Now in my perfect world, people get keys every new level in addition to that free item.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by premium_sauce View Post
    Not sure how to approach your answer. The market value has nothing to do with sales promotion. "You surely do not see" Indeed I don't physically watch people online BUT I was not aware that you could purchase $1,800 courier. This seems ridiculous to me. I think you got it wrong here.

I guess the point you are suggesting here would be that according to your experience in TF2, Valve never offered any sales promotion. I disagree with "never they will" as this statement seems to harsh.

How is sales promotion degrading the value of the keys? Isn't promotion a marketing strategy that presents a sale strategy to consumers by 1) increasing the demand 2) differentiate a product.

I see nothing wrong with: Buy 2 keys get 1 for free? You get 3 keys for $5 instead of $7.5. This is a different topic (personal sale) instead of sales promotion.
    It will NOT demotivate buyers to buy keys, on the contrary, it will increase sales! And as you correctly stated 'enough people think it is already a rip-off, therefore having price deals would promote consumer sales.

I am personally not thinking on buying keys any longer as I don't see the benefit over time. Why would I buy a $2.50 key for a Witch Doctor chest? If I am entitled to receive an extra key as part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal, I would surely use the 3rd key to open a insignificant chest.

So really? I don't see why there are no Sales promotion.
    You'd buy a $2.50 key for a WD chest if you wanted strange WD items with a chance at a courier.
    Keys are treated as a trade currency with a specific value and any sales they do will only hurt said value, and sales. If they ever sell key promos or ever sell keys at a lower price, I'd never buy keys at regular price, as it then becomes a waste. All of the keys I'd be sitting on would suddenly be worth less, so again, I'd never buy keys. Pass. The system obviously isn't priced for your preference.

Who would bother using keys as a currency when the value isn't static, reliable? I imagine a big trader is more important to key sales than someone who would maybe buy a few keys more often.

Sales could easily hurt worse than it helps. The only way to make it work is a new permanent (cheaper) pricing and again, that would lower the value of all existing keys and again, hurt sales. Pass.
    Last edited by Nerdstick; 11-10-2012 at 02:44 AM.

i have many chests. It's useless man

KEEP IN SHADOWS

key sales could lower total income from selling keys as most ppl would simply wait for sale before thy would buy any keys.

I think you people got it all wrong. Do you believe promotions exist for you guys to safe money? No they exist for Valve to make even more money. Just take a look at the store front page. Not a single day without promotion, do you really think that's Valve being nice? Hahaha don't make me laugh. If they were to make key sales that would boost the total income from dota 2 drastically for the time of the promotion. The only ones that would be against that are traders that want to trade their keys for 2-3 mysticals each. Sure there are always those people that wait for the sales to by their stuff but these people don't buy alot anyways. I for example am a person that would buy some at a sale nut I will never buy keys at 2,50 the piece. And like me, there are many many many others. The people that already buy keys will still buy keys no matter if there's a sale or not. They will probably buy even more keys than usual on a sale. Overall special sales for digital goods are a huge profit for everyone that's doing it.
    Last edited by Ryuukun; 11-10-2012 at 04:54 AM.