Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: HUD IS TOO BIG

Basic Member
    For me , it ok.

Basic Member
    I must admit, the more I play the more I am really hoping there is a minimal HUD option, or that it's scaled down a little. I am at a high widescreen resolution (1920x1080) so I'm likely in a slightly worse situation than some others, but I really am so often finding myself hitting HUD whilst trying to move anywhere.

Also yes, I do think the "but the balance!" option is negated by the completely different aspect ratios already supported by the game.
    Just a note, at an aspect ratio of 1.78 (16:9) my actual visible map area has an aspect ratio, at best, of 2.27 (about 16:7)... Bit crazy if you ask me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Esvandiary View Post
    ...I do think the "but the balance!" option is negated by the completely different aspect ratios already supported by the game.
    This is not a balance issue at all, we're not talking about a hero mechanic, map, item, or spell. It's a Game Setting that would be accessible by EVERYONE.

The HUD is too big, it breaks immersion and awareness.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krankor View Post
    This is not a balance issue at all, we're not talking about a hero mechanic, map, item, or spell. It's a Game Setting that would be accessible by EVERYONE.

The HUD is too big, it breaks immersion and awareness.
    The argument goes that the game is balanced to allow for a certain amount of vision - there's a reason you can't zoom out, right? If only in very small ways, it can affect what you're able to see.

As I said, I don't support this argument - different aspect ratios mean that people can see different things anyway. But I can see how it would be possible.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Esvandiary View Post
    The argument goes that the game is balanced to allow for a certain amount of vision
    The original DotA was constrained by the WC3 engine... Do we prohibit widescreen monitors since the original dota didn't support that ration? It wasn't exactly 'balanced' for view range, the HUD is actually hindering the view.

Here are some screen shot comparisons between HoN and DotA 2.
    dota 2 HUD.JPGHoN HUD.JPG

I agree, too much vertical space is used up for the HUD.

Posted about this a while ago too:
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=3806

Last edited by MajinCilos; 11-20-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MajinCilos View Post
    I agree, too much vertical space is used up for the HUD.
    The picture is partly right, here is an overlay to show a better comparison.
    DotA 2 HUD HoN Overlay.JPG

It is frequently argued that game balance is affected by visibility. No doubt, it is, but the influence is small. Can you name one hero that will become overpowered if they are allowed fullscreen visibility as opposed to the current setup? The truth is that the only heroes that are even affected by a change in vision are those with long range skills - pudge, POTM, WR, etc. And players that use those heroes already do not depend on vision, because they frequently cast spells while their heroes are off screen. Thus, the impact of added vision on balance is small, and not worth taking away player freedoms.

When you consider that a player gives up having information on his hero by hiding parts of his HUD, then you add a further counterbalance on a hero that gets stronger with larger vision: the player has less information to work with.

In my opinion there is more value in a customizable interface that lets players customize than a rigid HUD system that is anyway not perfectly fair.

Basic Member
    Currently feels claustrophic, I agree with the removal of the top bar, I don't want to feel boxed in. I also feel like the bottom UI takes too much vertical space.

Basic Member
    Agreed