Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Disabling menu embers animation after latest patch?

id like to point out i have this problem to but its caused by trade channels. after its dam flooded my game starts to run slow as hell. close trade channels and everything is good. i just have a gforce gts 250 playing 60 fps max graphs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wachon1992 View Post
    id like to point out i have this problem to but its caused by trade channels. after its dam flooded my game starts to run slow as hell. close trade channels and everything is good. i just have a gforce gts 250 playing 60 fps max graphs.
    I don't have any chat channel open at any point of time.

=>
    It's not a graphics card problem.
    It's not a channel problem.
    (At least not for me)

Small addition:
    I just realised that this lag happens most of the time when I'm watching a livestream in the background...
    Dunno about others, but not watching a livestream / not having firefox running in the background did work for me (At elast for now. Dunno I was jsut lucky the last few games, or if I actually fixed it for me.

Anyways, it should not lag jsut because I'm watching a stream anyways. There needs to be some sort of fix.
    Last edited by Yendorc; 11-12-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Basic Member
    Yes there really should be a fix. With a Geforce 670 I shouldn't have a problem running the dashboard of this game, but I am due to this bug.
    So I found out that the launch option "+dota_embers 0" does work, but it will only disable after the first game. So it will no longer lag the entire dashboard, but the embers will still appear and animate the first time you launch the game.

Hopefully, they will fix this issue soon... like the nighstalker wings... yeah.

I would consider this a pretty big very fixable problem that should be resolved. All it requires is some way to manually toggle the embers (for the ordinary user, through options, since a of casual players are just going to give up instead of searching for the solution) so that the game is playable.
    This is an extremely easy optimization for those with not-awesome computers, so why not, right? Especially with the introduction of the new consumer base in the Asian countries, allowing for lower end computers to run a game would certainly help with promotion and an increase of sales.

Just my 2 cents. So please, I humbly beseech ye, Dota Gods, to grant us benevolence on this issue of importance.

EDIT: "not alot of players" changed to "alot of players"

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheapy View Post
    So apparently a NVidia Geforce GTX 460 isn't good enough to have flames on? I can play DotA 2 perfectly on max settings in game with 30+ fps. When the menu pops up though, all hell goes loose and everything lags on my computer.
    Oh that is just too bad indeed. Even with shitty graphic chip which is Intel G31/G33 Express Chipset Family, my PC can render the flames smoothly. (But not in-game, truly sad )
    Last edited by Josh95; 02-18-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Basic Member
    It shows fine on any GPU, problem is that something is stacking for every game you play / watch... after 5-7 games i can barely move my mouse in the menu. and im on GTX 680. with intel I3970 hexacore cpu.

ITs not because of bad specs 460/660/680 .

Its a bug in dota, probertly related to Nvidia GPU's?

I'll be using dota_embers "0" until fixed.
    InvokerGame.com - Easiest way to learn, memorize and print it into your backbone!
    Now your able to remember and invoke extremely fast! Time to focus on your gameplay and execution!

Scoreboards have been added to InvokerGame.com, so now your able to compare your performance with others!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bQvleztar View Post
    It shows fine on any GPU, problem is that something is stacking for every game you play / watch... after 5-7 games i can barely move my mouse in the menu. and im on GTX 680. with intel I3970 hexacore cpu.

ITs not because of bad specs 460/660/680 .

Its a bug in dota, probertly related to Nvidia GPU's?

I'll be using dota_embers "0" until fixed.
    Not only nVidia, even ATI Radeon users have this problem as well.
    So in conclusion, it only happen to those who have a dedicated GPU installed on their PC.

P.S Actually I just bought a new GPU just a few days ago, then only I realized this happen to me. It totally freaks me out!!
    Last edited by Josh95; 02-18-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Basic Member
    Sorry to bump this thread.

I'm still having this problem. It's extremely annoying, as loading the game with embers will instantly full crash my PC, forcing a restart.

I have the startup command, but sometimes the embers will still load. I find the command doesn't take effect if I have played something else on steam previous to DotA 2, but thats not always the case. I cant seem to find any logic to it.

Running ATI Radeon HD 6850.
    Last edited by CartooN; 06-11-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CartooN View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread.

I'm still having this problem. It's extremely annoying, as loading the game with embers will instantly full crash my PC, forcing a restart.

I have the startup command, but sometimes the embers will still load. I find the command doesn't take effect if I have played something else on steam previous to DotA 2, but thats not always the case. I cant seem to find any logic to it.

Running ATI Radeon HD 6850.
    Have you tried playing around with windowed/fullscreen? Did you try adding -nod3d9ex to the launch options?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri Battousai View Post
    Firstly hi, i am not a racist but really i hate all of russians....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post
    Have you tried playing around with windowed/fullscreen? Did you try adding -nod3d9ex to the launch options?
    Assuming you're using dota_embers 0, all you need to do is close, open, close the console, and the embers go away. It's almost habit for me now, but I wouldn't mind the embers being fixed or removed altogether.