Thread: Does anyone else get microstuttering issues?

Does anyone else get microstuttering issues?

I'm not really sure if this is affecting anyone else, but I tend to get some microstutter in the game unlike other Source engine games.

Even if I'm looking at an uneventful area, my fps continuously stutters from 118 to 120 fps, causing the screen to be a little skippy instead of smooth. Nothing big, but something that should probably looked into before retail.

nVidia GeForce GTX 580 (285.27, but affected previous drivers too)
    Win7 Professional x64
    Core i7 2600k
    120 Hz Refresh rate
    3D Disabled

Graphics on max
    VSync enabled
    Fullscreen

Have you tried disabling VSync in the game's video settings? I have the same GPU as you. Earlier on in the beta I ran into a strange stuttering issue with VSync on, though I wouldn't have described it as "micro". I disabled it and the stuttering went away, but I haven't tried turning it back on since. Also, I'm only at 60Hz, but disabling VSync for me didn't affect the gameplay at all. Maybe this is a personal preference of mine, but I prefer VSync on for lots of games. I feel it adds a certain polish to the visual quality. If you're the same at all, don't worry about disabling VSync here. It hasn't affected that visual fidelity...in my opinion.

I'll try turning it off later, but I really hate turning it off, the screan tears like crazy

Try activating Tripple buffering after you turn Vsync on, should increase your performance.

Turning off VSync did not help, and Triple Buffering is definitely on. It's weird because it comes and goes. Sometimes it's a rocksolid 120 fps and its smooth, and sometimes it just goes crazy flipping between 118 and 120.

How is Triple Buffering turned on? Are you forcing any settings through the NVIDIA Control Panel? Generally, you should only set video options using the game's menus. Forcing settings is usually reserved for older games that don't have any or many graphics settings. Forcing settings can produce undesirable output when a game already has video options within its menus. Anyway, if you're forcing anything through NVIDIA CP, don't. Dota 2 doesn't need you to and you can set everything you need to within the settings menu.

No forcing, just turn it on global settings, its clean way. Also, micro stutters are an issue which will hopefully be resolved later on.

If by "global settings" you mean on the Global Settings tab of NVIDIA's control panel, then this would be considered forcing. Forcing graphics settings this way works for lots of games, but if you're having issues I would suggest turning all of these settings to Application-controlled and only use the settings in-game. As a best practice, I try to never change anything in the Global Settings tab. If I feel the need to force some graphics settings it's generally for older games that don't have any in-game graphic settings. Otherwise, I'll just use whatever the game offers me. But if there are no in-game settings, I don't use the Global Settings tab, I use the Program Settings tab instead. This way each game has its own settings and my experience doesn't change from game to game as I mess around changing settings for each new game.

Where one might run into issues is when, say, one uses both the in-game AA setting and also tries to force AA through the video card's control panel. Being that the Source engine powering Dota 2 uses deferred rendering and AA generally doesn't work well with this sort of rendering, it would seem like a bad idea to force it through the NVIDIA CP. Anyway, I could go on about this forever, but the point is that if a game has in-game settings for video options, always use those instead of forcing anything through your video card's control panel.