Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will modders ever be able to write their own bots?

Skynet
    That is all.

Imo to say that bots would have a hard time of beating professional teams is naive, but I may be wrong and I guess we shouldn't drive the topic off.
    As for the bots using too much cpu in the servers, I guess they could simply limit it. All in all it would be pretty awesome, they could even add player-made AI's to the store and allow players to buy them so they can play against them in matchmaking bots (which would also save them the job of making AI's for every single hero)

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    +1

I'd look forward to coding one if possible
    My main concern is bot cheats (no, not the maphack, automated or whatever player cheats, but actual bot cheats).
    From what I noticed bots do have some sort of cheats\hacks (not necessarily unfair bots where, IF I am not mistaken, they get some bonus xp) like guessing rune spawn (although that was a bit changed), but mostly guessing which object is the real hero and which is an illusion (naga, chaos or rune). There was a post (although I don't know if it still applies) where bots "guessed" that an invi enemy hero was nearby.

While I agree bots should have a certain upper hand, I find such cheats unacceptable at anything below unfair (and I even find it questionable at unfair difficulty).
    I won't be a hypocrite and claim that I didn't take certain frustrations from work onto bots where I leveled up at 25 and got me very nasty items just to kill them while they were at level 1, but still... there are situations where they can't see a hero (let's say Sniper - doesn't matter if human or AI), don't know his items but they know they should buy Dust. Now, one could argue that "it is plausable for Snipy to get Shadow, so Dust is reasonable" but not every build and not every game has that. They shouldn't automagically know how to counter an otherwise impossible (or close to impossy) situation to forsee.

So I do hope the bot API gives us a completed surrendered control over bots, from "cheats" to behavior and not some GUI-made event action. That'd be quite useless.
    And if we want to add some new states and actions to make it possible, without necessarily using built in and limited logic code.

But that is my opinion
    I know it is hard (if not impossible) to simulate actual play, from certain panic attacks resulting in stupid actions to actual genius like dodge or juke moves, but at the moment, while the bots are amazing, they have some moments when they're either too bad and you want to just quit the game, either too good and you want to quit the game then smash the monitor.

And yeah, the community is currently involved in suggestions\feedback here and dota store items. Coding would be the next step and I saw a lot of games that survived mainly due to mod activity. This would be awesome Who knows, perhaps in time we can even add our own game types with new rules (f.e. Diretide-like), but that's thinking too far ahead, although it's a nice fantasy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    I won't be a hypocrite and claim that I didn't take certain frustrations from work onto bots where I leveled up at 25 and got me very nasty items just to kill them while they were at level 1, but still... there are situations where they can't see a hero (let's say Sniper - doesn't matter if human or AI), don't know his items but they know they should buy Dust. Now, one could argue that "it is plausable for Snipy to get Shadow, so Dust is reasonable" but not every build and not every game has that. They shouldn't automagically know how to counter an otherwise impossible (or close to impossy) situation to forsee.
    Well they get dust because sniper bot always gets shadow blade because bots always use the same builds. If you're playing sniper though, I'm pretty sure they won't buy detection until at least you use the item once. In fact I'm not sure if they get detection at all, I think they only do so for heroes "marked" for detection...unless sniper is classified as a hero marked for detection, which I suppose is possible due to the bot build. I only mention the possibility of them not buying detection at all because when I play kunkka with a shadow blade I never get dusted.

Basic Member
    I'd love to see this happen.

Starcraft had a few very interesting AI competitions. Last I heard the top AI could beat former pro players (they were a bit rusty)... Dota is less micro-intensive so I don't imagine we'd get close to that, but it'd certainly be fun to see people try!

Basic Member
    +1

AI competitions is great. Already imagine a guy like IceFrog who will create a centralized teaching neural network, that will make bots smart as hell while being played vs. humans and slowly start owning them, without a cheats.

Basic Member
    +1, great idea. Although clearly people on this forum have no clue about AI design, lots of other people would love it, and we as players would benefit.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepotoo View Post
    +1, great idea. Although clearly people on this forum have no clue about AI design, lots of other people would love it, and we as players would benefit.
    Actually I'm studying Computer Science with a particular interest in AI myself.
    I'm not yet at the level where I could code a competent AI though, ideally I'd be at that level in half a year from now.

+1

Basic Member
    i would love to see this