Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: SF first skill range

Quote Originally Posted by Isanee View Post
    Please dont try make dota an easy game..
    ^Read the title of thread.
    Made assumptions to what it was about.
    Posted reply.

Basic Member
    Just give SF the circle every skill has, and player should be able to acknowledge that that's the center of Raze and depends on direction.

Basic Member
    Here is a perfectly reasonable argument why we should get the info about the extent of every ability and item:

I seriously don't get people's religious devotion to the old, no matter how inconsistent these devotions are. (like yes to health bar because it gives info and lets you make better strategic decisions, but no to mana bar because that somehow ruins the game)
    Nobody complaints about AoEs being shown (because they've already been there). Nobody says like "OMG why does Warlocks enfeeble have an area range.. I want people to spend many hours casting it in a wrong way just so they can get the basic functionality of a spell." But showing the actual range of Shadowfiend's rays is somehow gamebreaking.

The game is about strategic decision making, such as when and where to use your spell. Yes, being able to hit your spells is important, but having to go and figure out every single mathematical fact is just silly. Imagine if they removed all values from descriptions and told you to memorize them? No mana cost? No cooldowns? It requires 'skill' to go out there and memorize every single one, right? I'm sure people wouldn't like that.
    You have to know them to be good, but can quickly reference them in game for a quick refresher. The players who rarely have to do that will obviously be better.

So YES... you should definitely show the exact ranges and AoE's for EVERY ability and item when moused over. It just lets the non-"nerds with too much time on their hands" get into the game quicker and know the extent of their abilities. Just like you won't make them cast spell over and over again to figure out the cooldowns and damages. There is just no 'skill' in that. It's just time wasting

Not only should you show Shadowfriend's ray's aoe, but even the cones for say dragon knight and queen of pain. Have a green circle for range, and then a red cone in front of them for the area of the cone. There is just no reason not to. I still need to remember and judge the aoe for when I use it (not to mention be good to know when and how to use it). Just like I would need to remember mana cost for your abilities in order to know if you can pull off a combo, or their damage to know if it will kill the hero. But you will always have it there for reference if you need to check.

You should also show the range for abilities that you haven't learned yet, one's that are on cooldown, and your enemie's one. Just like you can still see cooldowns, mana costs etc of the abilities. It's not gamebreaking, it's just basic information that everyone (especially new players) need.

Hope this enlightens some people who are opposed to any kind of change no matter how inconsistent it is.
    Last edited by MadVlrus; 01-28-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Here is a perfectly reasonable simple argument why we should get the info about the extent of every ability and item:

pudge's hook has them for each level
    Testing bugs between DOTA 2 and DotA - No Test Client
    Common Gameplay Bugs list
    Intended Gameplay Fix list
    Times quoted: OVER NINE THOUSAND

Quote Originally Posted by GothicCream View Post
    Almost of every pokemon game that have online match. 75% of player are using full legendary pokemon team with all of them being sent out from master ball. And they got pawn by Magikarp.

The circle around you is actually the casting range (for targeted abilities).
    SF can't have that circle because his spells aren't targeted. The same way Mirana's Leap or Slark's Pounce doesn't have the circle around them.

^Crystal Maiden's Freezing Field have her aoe shown when i hover it
    Testing bugs between DOTA 2 and DotA - No Test Client
    Common Gameplay Bugs list
    Intended Gameplay Fix list
    Times quoted: OVER NINE THOUSAND

Quote Originally Posted by GothicCream View Post
    Almost of every pokemon game that have online match. 75% of player are using full legendary pokemon team with all of them being sent out from master ball. And they got pawn by Magikarp.

Basic Member
    Mirana should also have it. I am actualyl not sure if passives like the necrolite's heartstopper has range, but it should as well. Basically we should be able to easily reference the extent of each spell range, just like we can with damage, mana, etc

Quote Originally Posted by chukky-jr View Post
    ^Crystal Maiden's Freezing Field have her aoe shown when i hover it
    The AoE is around her though. Not "x" distance away from hero in an AoE.
    Raze can't be shown around SF.
    Last edited by fluffeeh; 01-29-2013 at 02:37 PM.